Author Topic: Michael Behenna: Ex-officer leaves Leavenworth after serving 5 years  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

By Adam Kemp

Published: March 14, 2014

LEAVENWORTH, Kan. — Former U.S. Army 1st Lt. Michael Behenna stepped out of a van Friday morning just outside the walls of the U.S. Discplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, having just served five years for killing an Iraqi.

His longtime girlfriend, Shannon Wahl, sprinted towards him, nearly knocking Behenna over.

Dressed in an orange hoodie, his head shaved and sporting a short, trimmed beard, Behenna was soon surrounded by his family. They hugged, gathered in a small circle and prayed before quickly leaving. They stopped a short distance later at a community center, where Behenna sat down for an exclusive interview with The Oklahoman.

“It's overwhelming; I can't put into words what today means,” Behenna said. “I can’t wait to get home.”

Behenna, 30, is returning to Edmond, Okla., with his family in hopes of picking up his life where he left off.

Behenna won parole Feb. 12 after serving a third of a 15-year sentence, convicted in 2009 of unpremeditated murder in a combat zone.

On May 16, 2008, just a few weeks after an improvised bomb attack killed two members of Behenna’s seven-man platoon known as Mad Dog 5, Behenna killed known al-Qaida operative Ali Mansur while questioning him.

Behenna claimed self-defense, saying Mansur threw a chunk of concrete at him before reaching for Behenna’s gun. But military officials ruled against Behenna, stating that he was the one in the position of power as he questioned Mansur with a gun pointed at him, therefore sacrificing his claim to self-defense.

Originally sentenced to 25 years, the U.S. Army Clemency and Parole Board reduced Behenna's sentence to 15 years in January of 2010.

This was first year Behenna was eligible for parole.

In January, members of Behenna’s family appeared again before the clemency and parole board, presenting a 400-page report that included job offers and recommendations for Behenna and a letter written by him that included his regrets.

“I’ve had five years to think about these events, not just the death of my soldiers, but the death of Mr. Mansur,” Behenna wrote. “I regret taking another human being’s life. I regret that Mr. Mansur’s children will grow up without a father.”

Behenna’s parents, Scott and Vicki, have worked tirelessly during the past five years to have their son freed.

Together, the couple took on second careers as their son’s advocates; writing letters and emails, making phone calls, granting media interviews and marching Capitol Hill in Washington to talk with politicians about why their son should not be in prison.

While ecstatic to have her son released from prison, Vicki Behenna said he has mixed feelings about leaving his fellow soldiers in Leavenworth who were in the same situation as him.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/michael-behenna-ex-officer-leaves-leavenworth-after-serving-5-years-1.272809
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Re: Michael Behenna: Ex-officer leaves Leavenworth after serving 5 years
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 03:43:06 pm »
I am sorry that he had to go through this ordeal and am infuriated that the whole thing happened to him, to begin with.

It's especially infuriating that our elected officials and their bureaucratic minions are free to cause all manner of unlawful acts against our country and pay no price at all.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
Behenna killed known al-Qaida operative Ali Mansur

“I’ve had five years to think about these events, not just the death of my soldiers, but the death of Mr. Mansur,” Behenna wrote. “I regret taking another human being’s life. I regret that Mr. Mansur’s children will grow up without a father.”

Why is a member of the United States Military apologizing for killing a terrorist in self defense?

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 03:54:48 pm »
"He was sacrificed to the court of political correctness."

http://weaselzippers.us/179432-michael-behenna-is-released-from-u-s-disciplinary-barracks/

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 04:11:14 pm »
How many others are there because of Obama's BS ROE's?

While ecstatic to have her son released from prison, Vicki Behenna said he has mixed feelings about leaving his fellow soldiers in Leavenworth who were in the same situation as him.

“It’s the ultimate bittersweet feeling for him,” she said. “He is happy to be out but he really feels for his guys he’s leaving behind because he knows there’s a chance he’ll never speak with them again.”

Offline Howie66

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:39:18 pm »
Why is a member of the United States Military apologizing for killing a terrorist in self defense?

Five years in Leavenworth (unjustly) can have a deleterious effect on a person.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 04:49:47 pm »

how else was he going to get parole?  tell the truth?

Offline Howie66

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 05:54:07 pm »
how else was he going to get parole?  tell the truth?

"Heil, Obama! Heil, Obama! Heil, Obama! Seig Heil!"

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 06:22:29 pm »
"Heil, Obama! Heil, Obama! Heil, Obama! Seig Heil!"

like I said, he'd never get parole if he told the truth!  :silly:

Offline Howie66

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:52:19 pm »
like I said, he'd never get parole if he told the truth!  :silly:

Damned right.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 11:53:08 am »
He was Dishonorably Discharged?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 12:13:04 pm »
I would assume he was. That's normally part of the sentence from most court-martials. And he was convicted of substantively a felony.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline olde north church

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 01:37:52 pm »
So he's lost all benefits, Social Security, loans, hospitals?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 01:50:14 pm »
So he's lost all benefits, Social Security, loans, hospitals?

Yes, one would assume.

They had an expert witness that did not get to testify.

Apparently the case of the gov. against him said he killed the AQ terrorist in cold blood and not in self-defense.

http://www.defendmichael.com/?page_id=16

WTF has Obama done regarding the ROE that make an AQ terrorists' death shown as murder, in a war?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »
I will bet anybody on the forum that Mr. Behenna isn't going to die of old age.

With odds, I'd even say he won't 'see' the 2016 elections.

Others, it seems, are forgetting Mr. Obama's 'Disposition Matrix" aka "Star Chamber".   Not me.

....ask the families of a dozen or so Navy SEALS if you don't believe me. :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:35 pm »
I will bet anybody on the forum that Mr. Behenna isn't going to die of old age.

With odds, I'd even say he won't 'see' the 2016 elections.

Others, it seems, are forgetting Mr. Obama's 'Disposition Matrix" aka "Star Chamber".   Not me.

....ask the families of a dozen or so Navy SEALS if you don't believe me. :whistle:

I don't think they'd bother to go that far; it's much easier, and more effective, to simply make someone's life a living hell.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 02:59:42 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPil7onoIpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3s4dAaEYLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghdm1sZKZ8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGuZZSMIKRw

they weren't killed by some government assassin, which is what you would have to do for the poor gent in question.  Were he to be in a war zone again, it would probably be more expedient to leave him unexpectedly in the lurch and let the enemy kill him, but within the US?  I really don't think so.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:00:52 pm by Oceander »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 03:03:07 pm »

There are many more instances too .....recently TWO SEALS were found dead on a ship in Louisiana...together.

We don't know their mission resumes....but it wouldn't be a stretch to learn they served in the Asian or Middle Eastern theater.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 04:06:27 pm »

There are many more instances too .....recently TWO SEALS were found dead on a ship in Louisiana...together.

We don't know their mission resumes....but it wouldn't be a stretch to learn they served in the Asian or Middle Eastern theater.

as you wish

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 04:15:12 pm »
they weren't killed by some government assassin, which is what you would have to do for the poor gent in question.  Were he to be in a war zone again, it would probably be more expedient to leave him unexpectedly in the lurch and let the enemy kill him, but within the US?  I really don't think so.

Somehow we are missing an in between story/ or thought here. I don't know what it is exactly but overall in general; the Obama admin has ticked off a lot of military.   :beer:

I just now saw a reply in here that this man may not live into old age. Now I see what you mean and agree with your theory.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 08:25:42 pm »
I just got the chance to watch the entire West video I posted. I cannot even fathom the idea of 10 people in Leavenworth over the same reasons as the service member in the threads article.