Author Topic: Rove Ignores Role Amnesty Opposition Played in Jolly Special Election Win  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/14/Karl-Rove-Ignores-David-Jolly-s-Amnesty-Opposition-in-Analysis

Rove Ignores Role Amnesty Opposition Played in Jolly Special Election Win

by Tony Lee 14 Mar 2014, 1:14 PM PDT

In his analysis of Florida Republican David Jolly's special election win over Democrat Alex Sink on Tuesday, Republican establishment strategist Karl Rove failed to fully acknowledge the importance of both mobilizing the Republican base for this fall's midterm elections and opposing amnesty.

In an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal on Thursday, Rove wrote that Jolly's win showed that "ObamaCare is a potent issue that hurts Democrats badly but isn't sufficient by itself." He mentioned that there could be similar conditions that led 2010's epic sweep, but he did not mention that the Tea Party fueled that wave.

Without explicitly saying so, Rove conceded that mobilizing the base is the key to winning midterm elections. He wrote that attacking ObamaCare motivated Republicans "more than supporting it energized Democrats. Independents opposed ObamaCare but by a narrower margin."

Another issue that motivated the base--and even independent voters in the swing district--was Jolly's opposition to amnesty. Jolly showed that swing districts can be won by opposing amnesty.

During the campaign, Sink was in favor of amnesty and even said the country needed it so people like her could hire cheap labor. Jolly blasted her for those comments and was the only candidate who was against amnesty. He even ran commercials emphasizing the point.

Daniel Horowitz of the Madison Project observed after the election that the "notion that we must support amnesty to remain viable is clearly laid to waste by this victory in a Florida swing district." He argued that "if running as a conservative on the issues, including the issue of immigration, is a pathway to victory in an Obama 4 district, imagine the results in a district Romney carried by 10, 20, or 30 points."

Horowitz also predicted that establishment operatives like Rove would ignore that point. "But don’t expect the wizards of smart within the Republican Party establishment to ever consider that the reality of the immigration issue might be in conflict with their conventional wisdom," he wrote. "There is too much money invested in that fallacious premise."

On cue, Rove did not mention that issue in his analysis. Instead, he focused on how Democrats who supported Obamacare may be even more vulnerable than Sink.

"However, unlike Ms. Sink, Democratic incumbents voted for ObamaCare and made promises that turned out to be untrue, making them far more vulnerable than she was," Rove wrote. He also noted that Republicans, especially with help from outside groups, outperformed Democrats on the ground to help Jolly.

Two national polls have found that a plurality of Americans are less likely to vote for candidates who support amnesty, but mentioning that would go against the interests of Rove and the GOP establishment who want to ram through amnesty for their big-business allies who want cheap labor.

Rove also launched a political action group that vowed to wage war on Tea Party and conservative candidates in 2014, but he has been on the retreat after receiving considerable backlash from the base. Emphasizing how beneficial it may be for politicians to oppose amnesty may only further embolden those grassroots voters.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

A recent Wash Post poll ranks immigration number 12 on a list of important issues.  Number 10 was affordable energy.  Number 11 was drugs.  Rove didn't talk about oil and pot did he?  I'm spotting a trend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/03/13/voters-arent-really-all-that-worried-right-now-about-climate-change/

Offline Rapunzel

A recent Wash Post poll ranks immigration number 12 on a list of important issues.  Number 10 was affordable energy.  Number 11 was drugs.  Rove didn't talk about oil and pot did he?  I'm spotting a trend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/03/13/voters-arent-really-all-that-worried-right-now-about-climate-change/

One of the things Sink ran on was amnesty and Jolly came out strongly against it.   And, BTW those polls reflect the American's think Amnesty as in giving amnesty is way down the line of importance, not that they don't care if the government is going to give amnesty - but nice try.  I realize up on the Canadian border area it is unimportant...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Illegal immigration is so important in FL that Rick Scott is granting illegals in state tuition rates.  Rick Scott just got bought by the open borders lobby. :smokin:

Scott has been in trouble in the polls since the start.  He thinks this will help him.  I bet he is right.

Offline Rapunzel

Illegal immigration is so important in FL that Rick Scott is granting illegals in state tuition rates.  Rick Scott just got bought by the open borders lobby. :smokin:

Scott has been in trouble in the polls since the start.  He thinks this will help him.  I bet he is right.

If Rick Scott cannot defeat Crist he really deserves to lose.

One of the things Sink ran on was amnesty and Jolly came out strongly against it.   And, BTW those polls reflect the American's think Amnesty as in giving amnesty is way down the line of importance, not that they don't care if the government is going to give amnesty - but nice try.  I realize up on the Canadian border area it is unimportant...
The poll doesn't say amnesty.  It says illegal immigration.  I'll grant you more people are against amnesty than are for it, but there is a large majority of voters who don't give a damn about the issue.  Opposition to illegal immigration is a mile wide and an inch deep.  It wasn't a factor in the race compared to the economy, unemployment, social security, and even homelessness.

If Rick Scott cannot defeat Crist he really deserves to lose.
yes.

Offline Rapunzel

yes.

Scott has been an underwhelming governor.

Scott has been an underwhelming governor.
You fight with the army you have.  Somebody else could have run and won.  They didn't.

One of the things Sink ran on was amnesty and Jolly came out strongly against it.   
I can just as easily conjecture that Jolly would have won by a larger margin if he had come out for amnesty.

Offline Rapunzel

I can just as easily conjecture that Jolly would have won by a larger margin if he had come out for amnesty.

You're grasping at straws because it doesn't fit your paradigm.

You're grasping at straws because it doesn't fit your paradigm.
Perhaps.  time will tell.  Good Night Rapunzel.  Hope you have a blessed weekend.

Offline PzLdr

Rove ignores any reality that doesn't fit on his white board---or add to his checkbook.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Rove ignores any reality that doesn't fit on his white board---or add to his checkbook.

Especially his checkbook.

The guy is a whore and that's all there is to it.

Contemptible maggot.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.