Author Topic: Food Price Inflation Scares the Fed  (Read 922 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Food Price Inflation Scares the Fed
« on: March 15, 2014, 12:43:34 AM »

Offline mountaineer

Re: Food Price Inflation Scares the Fed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »
No worries. Mooch says, "Let them eat arugula."
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Currently Thinking of a Clever Avatar
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:26:32 PM »
No worries. Mooch says, "Let them eat arugula."
Of course, this is the kind of stuff that makes economists act like inflation isn't happening.  "Core" inflation, they argue, doesn't include food.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »
You can see it happening week to week in grocery stores...two bags can easily top $100, and will routinely be $50 +
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:12:56 PM »
You can see it happening week to week in grocery stores...two bags can easily top $100, and will routinely be $50 +

Yup.......

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »

I've been watching the grocery bills going up for at least a few years.  I try to get stuff on sale and buy ahead and all of that, but it still amazes me how the total just keeps going up and up!!  And if that article I read the other day about the incredible spike in commodities since the beginning of the year is true, watch out in a month or two..... beef, pork, coffee, etc.  UP, UP, UP!!

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 09:53:06 PM »
You can see it in other ways as well:  I went to the store to buy a bag of sugar - which I don't do very often - and thought that I couldn't find the bag I usually get - the 5 pound bag - until I suddenly realized that all the regular size bags were now 4 pounds, not 5.

Selling 4 pounds for the price of 5 pounds is just another way of hiding the fact of inflation, at least from those who don't look more carefully at what they're buying.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:04 AM »
You can see it in other ways as well:  I went to the store to buy a bag of sugar - which I don't do very often - and thought that I couldn't find the bag I usually get - the 5 pound bag - until I suddenly realized that all the regular size bags were now 4 pounds, not 5.

Selling 4 pounds for the price of 5 pounds is just another way of hiding the fact of inflation, at least from those who don't look more carefully at what they're buying.

This way of masking the price has been used extensively for a few years now...to the point where you see it in, I dare say, most non-produce or meat grocery products...it is the exception to find it not in use.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 03:17:26 AM »
This way of masking the price has been used extensively for a few years now...to the point where you see it in, I dare say, most non-produce or meat grocery products...it is the exception to find it not in use.

Yes, almost everything is now a smaller package for close to the same "old" price.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 07:53:24 AM »
Yes, almost everything is now a smaller package for close to the same "old" price.
It started with Hershey bars several years ago, which used to be one ounce for a nickel; now just a fraction of an ounce for about 89 cents. Then coffee, which used to come in one pound cans, appeared in 13 oz. cans, and so it went ...   **nononono*

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »
It started with Hershey bars several years ago, which used to be one ounce for a nickel; now just a fraction of an ounce for about 89 cents. Then coffee, which used to come in one pound cans, appeared in 13 oz. cans, and so it went ...   **nononono*

I know!!  The coffee packaging is getting insane, I wonder what they will do if coffee spikes in a couple of months like I saw predicted??  6 oz. plastic jar for for $7.99??

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »
That's illegal here - at least for foodstuffs (not chocolate or crisps)

You go in to any store and they have to give you the price per kilo or price per 100 grams on the shelf label. Makes it easier to see food is skyrocketing without having to keep years of receipts.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 08:13:42 AM »

You go in to any store and they have to give you the price per kilo or price per 100 grams on the shelf label. Makes it easier to see food is skyrocketing without having to keep years of receipts.

We do have the "unit pricing" labels on the shelves that show the price per pound/ounce/etc.  But the actual products' price is the misleading part as the price stays somewhat close to what we've  expected for some time, but the quantity just plummets.  A normal box of crackers seems to have shrunk down to what used to be a "travel" or "personal" size!!  It is really unbelievable....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:14:17 AM by katzenjammer »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 08:16:24 AM »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:20:06 AM »
The only time I feel like I can afford to buy beef anymore is from the greatly reduced "last day" bin at the end of the meat cooler (usually the day before the "buy by" date), then I either freeze it or cook it immediately.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »
There is more than one way to slim down the proles.

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:43 AM »
Of course, this is the kind of stuff that makes economists act like inflation isn't happening.  "Core" inflation, they argue, doesn't include food.

It excludes fuel prices, too, which in Michigan have been rising steadily.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:40:38 AM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
It excludes fuel prices, too, which in Michigan have been rising steadily.
Same here - up 15 cents or so in the past few weeks.

Offline happyg

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »
The kids got me a Food Saver a couple years ago for Christmas. I buy meat when it is on sale or at reduced prices, and vacuum it, then seal it. Hamburger is nuts, $4 per pound for 73% beef. $5 for 80%, and it goes up from there. Bacon is in 12 oz. pkgs, and costs more than 1 lb. pkgs used to. Milk in plastic cartons can be frozen, too, for later use.

Offline WAYNE

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »
    I'll sure be happy when our farmers market opens in may.  The big thing to me is food and gas are not factors in COLAs.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 09:32:33 PM »

That price is given in most stores.  But just like you can lead a horse to water, but cannot make it drink, just because you put the unit price up doesn't mean anyone - other than codgers like me - are going to pay any attention to it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf