Author Topic: ELECTION 2014: Poll shows Graham at 60 percent  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

ELECTION 2014: Poll shows Graham at 60 percent
« on: March 15, 2014, 12:54:52 am »
http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/14/3325849/election-2014-poll-shows-graham.html

A new Human Events/Gravis Marketing poll shows U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham with a 50 percent lead in the June GOP primary.

The poll shows Graham favored by 60 percent of voters, with state Sen. Lee Bright, R-Spartanburg, trailing the senator with 10 percent.

Charleston PR executive Nancy Mace polled at 7 percent, followed by Easley businessman Richard Cash at 4 percent and Orangeburg attorney Bill Connor at 2 percent.

Det Bowers, a Columbia pastor who has been campaigning quietly for the seat, was not included in the poll, run by Florida political consultant and Gravis Marketing president Doug Kaplan.

Seventeen percent of voters were undecided in the poll, conducted on March 6-7 by automated telephone call to "735 registered South Carolina voters," according to a news release about the poll.

Gravis Marketing does campaign consulting work for mostly Republican candidates, but also some Democratic candidates, Kaplan said.

But the South Carolina poll was not paid for by any campaign, Kaplan said, adding that his company is polling contested races in several states.

Kaplan said the poll, whose margin of error was 4 percentage points, was of "registered voters who have voted in a GOP primary."

The results show that Graham's numbers have not changed much since a poll Gravis conducted last November, when Graham ahead with 54 percent.

"People tend to think that South Carolina is an extremely conservative state, which is true, but the primaries are open, so you get a variety of voters," Kaplan said.

A February Winthrop Poll showed Graham at 45 percent among likely GOP primary voters and 35 percent of voters still undecided.

Asked how he explained the difference between the polls, Kaplan said to look at Graham's challengers' numbers, which were basically the same within the margin of error.

In the February Winthrop Poll, Bright polled at 8.5 percent and Cash, Connor and Mace each polled less than 4 percent.

Graham's spokesman Tate Zeigler said of the Gravis poll, “It’s too early for a poll to mean much – even this one showing Senator Graham 50 points ahead.

"(Graham) continues traveling to every corner of the state, hosting events, listening to the concerns of voters, opening campaign offices, and talking about his record," he said. "We’re running a grassroots campaign which is attracting new supporters each and every day and plans to peak on June 10 when Republican voters go to the polls."

--------------------
As they say at TOS.  Whoo Hoo!!!

Offline sinkspur

Re: ELECTION 2014: Poll shows Graham at 60 percent
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 01:16:53 am »
I'm betting Terry Jeffries wet his pants when he saw this poll. 

And, just today, some last-minute candidate gets up on stage and says that "it's time for the ambiguously gay Graham to come out."  This is just after he and Bright and Connor had joined hands and said they'd support each other.

Look for that number to climb to 70% in a week or two.

If the Tea Party can't take out Lindsey Graham, they're not taking out anybody.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 01:31:32 am »
I'm betting Terry Jeffries wet his pants when he saw this poll. 

And, just today, some last-minute candidate gets up on stage and says that "it's time for the ambiguously gay Graham to come out."  This is just after he and Bright and Connor had joined hands and said they'd support each other.

If the Tea Party can't take out Lindsey Graham, they're not taking out anybody.
If they can't take out that lowlife piece of political trash Lindsey Graham, this country is totally f***ed.

There are still three months to go, but there is no excuse for not being able to get a challenger over at least 10%. Worse yet, Graham is gaining! We've seen Graham for years. Are the South Carolinian people that stupid? I know the American people in general are (see: Obama re-elected), but I would think that a solid-red state like South Carolina would understand how corrupt and dishonest people like Graham are.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:37:05 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 01:46:17 am »
If they can't take out that lowlife piece of political trash Lindsey Graham, this country is totally f***ed.

There are still three months to go, but there is no excuse for not being able to get a challenger over at least 10%. Worse yet, Graham is gaining! We've seen Graham for years. Are the South Carolinian people that stupid? I know the American people in general are (see: Obama re-elected), but I would think that a solid-red state like South Carolina would understand how corrupt and dishonest people like Graham are.

R4 said he is running ads around the clock throughout the state
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 02:14:30 am »

No doubt. 

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 02:26:09 am »

R4 said he is running ads around the clock throughout the state

Yep just posted it on another thread! I am so sick of them! all day everyday. especially on fox!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 02:58:08 am »
It's the incumbent machinery, very hard for a regular person to defeat.  Greasing palms, cronyism, tit-for-tat, I'll vote NO this time since I'm up for re-election - ad nauseum.  The end result is what we see right now, our country in dire straits.  Do I sound bitter?  Damn right.   
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 03:26:16 am »
Apropos of nothing in particular:  I find it faintly amusing when someone first asserts that the American people are too smart to be fooled by this or that, and that they're just being bamboozled or suppressed by those in power - the incumbents in this case - and who then asserts, when those self-same American people vote overwhelmingly for the incumbent, that they were too stupid to see through the dissimulation in the incumbent's ads and campaign speeches.  Which is it?  Are Americans stupid, or are they not?

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 03:49:32 am »
Apropos of nothing in particular:  I find it faintly amusing when someone first asserts that the American people are too smart to be fooled by this or that, and that they're just being bamboozled or suppressed by those in power - the incumbents in this case - and who then asserts, when those self-same American people vote overwhelmingly for the incumbent, that they were too stupid to see through the dissimulation in the incumbent's ads and campaign speeches.  Which is it?  Are Americans stupid, or are they not?
  Are Americans stupid?  Yes.  Are American voters stupid? No. 

http://phys.org/news/2012-12-in-depth-survey-nonvoters-voters.html 
  Nonvoters tend to skew younger than voters, with nearly a third less than 30 years old. They also tend to be less educated than voters

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 03:52:52 am »
  Are Americans stupid?  Yes.  Are American voters stupid? No. 

http://phys.org/news/2012-12-in-depth-survey-nonvoters-voters.html 

American voters are stupid, by and large.  But that's the beauty of democracy, as rather cynically, but positively, noted by Winston Churchhill.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 05:49:28 am »
American voters are stupid, by and large.  But that's the beauty of democracy, as rather cynically, but positively, noted by Winston Churchhill.
Government funded studies have shown that approximately 50% of the American people have below average intelligence, in fact 1 in 4 fall under the 25th percentile.  Stupid in comparison to what?  Voters in North Korea?  They all know what leader they want.  I believe voters are more intelligent than non voters as I pointed out.  Party voters are, I believe, more informed and intelligent than moderate and maybe independent voters.   Certainly some party voters vote for a party because their parents voted that way.  But most of the GOP and rat voters know the issues, are informed by their favored biased media, and cast their vote believing they are making the right choice.   That is why they bother to vote.  when 100 million don't bother it really removes the stigma.

The American voters are a subset of the American people.  I see the American voter as an individual who stands somewhere on a line that ranges from far right to far left.  about 1/3 vote conservative, 1/3 split between moderates(vote for a candidates pretty smile) and independents (votes for an individual.  they are informed), and 1/3 liberal.  1% to maybe 5% of the right and left voters are what I call the fringe.  The fringers are often very well informed on some issues, some brilliantly insightful on some issues, but they don't come to a rational conclusion from their information.  On the left these would be the voters who could not stomach to vote for Al"Earth in the Lurch"Gore and instead voted for the Green Party candidate.  On the right it would be FreedomWork's Kibbe, and Senate Conservative Fund's Hoskins.  I wouldn't say Kibbe and Hoskins or Naders supporters are stupid.  I'd go with crazy.

I have a lot more respect for the voters than most everyone I know.  I think it is great that almost 60% of voters took the time to vote in 2012.  Many don't.  Some people recognize they know nothing about the issues and positions of the candidates.  They are too busy living the American dream 40, 50, 60 hours a week.  Raising families and paying bills.  Who has time to read both sides and make a fair and balanced decision?

The retired do and they vote a lot.

When did the voters get so stupid? 1860s? 1910s?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:53:23 am by Once-Ler »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »
When did the voters get so stupid? 1860s? 1910s?
Good question.

I think it has been fairly recent, just a few years, really. Perhaps not stupid, but gullible and willing to believe any disinformation they hear. Social media has allowed disinformation to spread like wildfire and that's a new development. Certain special-interest groups and politicians have been at the forefront of manipulating messages to appeal to these people and make them think it is true, even when it is not.

Just the past couple of days, I see Jon Stewart, for instance, make Facebook's new "trending" feature: one for his feud with Fox News over food stamps (and it's all putting Stewart in a favorable light), and once for his lampooning of Mitch McConnell's latest ad. People are eating this **** up. That's the scary thing.

Not only that, they are poisoning the well so that opposition cannot get the same traction.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »
Just the past couple of days, I see Jon Stewart, for instance, make Facebook's new "trending" feature: one for his feud with Fox News over food stamps (and it's all putting Stewart in a favorable light), and once for his lampooning of Mitch McConnell's latest ad. People are eating this **** up. That's the scary thing.

Not only that, they are poisoning the well so that opposition cannot get the same traction.

Stewart is trending because his show on the 13th was funny as hell.  Even though I disagreed with his attack on Fox and the McConnell music remix I laughed hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBsjK71HpA0

Offline Olivia

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »
I have many relatives in South Carolina and none of them can stand Lindsey Graham.

It's hard to understand that a state as red as South Carolina could actually like this pansy waist RINO/Democrat Lite buddy of the disgusting John McCain! 
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 06:39:29 pm »
I have many relatives in South Carolina and none of them can stand Lindsey Graham.

It's hard to understand that a state as red as South Carolina could actually like this pansy waist RINO/Democrat Lite buddy of the disgusting John McCain!

Graham is a tireless defender of our military.  That plays well in SC. 

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 06:48:26 pm »
That 60% favorable number is getting to be pretty popular. Just the other day a poll telling us that Mitch McConnell was at 60%.

Wonder when the poll telling us that Barak Hussein Obama is also at 60% will be reported? Monday? Tuesday?
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 06:49:51 pm »

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm betting that this poll is just slightly manufactured.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 06:54:27 pm »
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm betting that this poll is just slightly manufactured.
I'll take that bet.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 07:19:52 pm »

Wrong.  This poll was sponsored by Human Events, which is a far-right website/magazine.  If any "manufacturing" was being done, Graham would be a lot lower than 60%.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 07:25:50 pm »
I have a theory: Online people like to hang with others that are similar to themselves.

In public it is not easy, but online it is very easy to narrowly restrict one's environment. TOS is a good example.

Then online, very much interplay takes place reinforcing the self-selected bias. Contrary views are ridiculed, and even banned.

The result is environments which bill themselves as "Cruz Country" or "conservative."

No wonder people can easily say nobody they know thinks any different than them, when they exist in customized self-selecting, sometimes under threat of banning environments.

Of course voters do exist for McCain, Graham, McConnell. Their detractors just don't want to hang with them, or hear from them.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Olivia

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 07:36:25 pm »
I have a theory: Online people like to hang with others that are similar to themselves.

In public it is not easy, but online it is very easy to narrowly restrict one's environment. TOS is a good example.

Then online, very much interplay takes place reinforcing the self-selected bias. Contrary views are ridiculed, and even banned.

The result is environments which bill themselves as "Cruz Country" or "conservative."

No wonder people can easily say nobody they know thinks any different than them, when they exist in customized self-selecting, sometimes under threat of banning environments.

Of course voters do exist for McCain, Graham, McConnell. Their detractors just don't want to hang with them, or hear from them.

You might be right but I live so close to the South Carolina line that I do most of my shopping there.  I also have friends, relatives, that live and work in Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, Garden City and Murrell's Inlet.
All of them talk about Lindsey Graham and how they'd like to get rid of him.  They all work with a broad spectrum of people from all ages that also speak about how to get rid of Lindsey Graham.
It's not like they're all relatives that think alike.  They range from firemen, policeman, to retail and Gyms.  You would think they'd meet someone that liked the gay senator, wouldn't you?

Graham might vouch for the military but that's about all he does.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 10:28:41 pm »
You might be right but I live so close to the South Carolina line that I do most of my shopping there.  I also have friends, relatives, that live and work in Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, Garden City and Murrell's Inlet.
All of them talk about Lindsey Graham and how they'd like to get rid of him.  They all work with a broad spectrum of people from all ages that also speak about how to get rid of Lindsey Graham.
It's not like they're all relatives that think alike.  They range from firemen, policeman, to retail and Gyms.  You would think they'd meet someone that liked the gay senator, wouldn't you?

Graham might vouch for the military but that's about all he does.

It's the same here in Kentucky.  I haven't seen a single sign supporting Mitch McConnell, but plenty of Bevin signs.  On the other hand, my father, who doesn't keep up with politics anymore (dementia) would vote for Mitch in a second - because he knows his name. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 01:39:09 am »
It's the same here in Kentucky.  I haven't seen a single sign supporting Mitch McConnell, but plenty of Bevin signs.  On the other hand, my father, who doesn't keep up with politics anymore (dementia) would vote for Mitch in a second - because he knows his name.

There aren't any Collins signs in Maine either.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 02:53:41 am »
Yeah. Come to think of it, my very solid conservative House Rep. doesn't need signs. His voting record would indicate he might have joined the House Tea Party Caucus, but he did not.

He consistently gets renominated in the primary, elected in the general, all without yard signs.

And he ain't no Collins. He's Oceander Rohrabacher, and he don't need no Tea Party because he was TP long, long before there was a Tea Party. Many who have NOT joined the TP, were and remain very solid conservatives.

Not all solid conservatives are Tea Party affiliated. In FACT about 25% or less of the House Republican delegation have elected to be Tea Party affiliated.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 03:37:48 am »

You can see Maine from Wisconsin now????????
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776