Author Topic: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet  (Read 2281 times)

Offline flowers

U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:34:39 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/us-to-relinquish-remaining-control-over-the-internet/2014/03/14/0c7472d0-abb5-11e3-adbc-888c8010c799_story.html?hpid=z1

The announcement essentially ruled out the possibility that the United Nations would take over the U.S. role, something many nations have advocated and U.S. officials have long opposed.

The looming change — if successfully executed — would end or at least dramatically alter the long-running contract between the U.S. Commerce Department and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, a California-based non-profit group that goes by the acronym ICANN. That contract is due to expire next year but could be extended if the transition plan is not complete.

“I welcome the beginning of this transition process that you have outlined. The global community will be included in full,” said Fadi Chehade, president of ICANN.

Rumors that the U.S. government would step out of its oversight role sparked concerns among those who long have maintained that ICANN did not do enough to protect security online.

“To set ICANN so-called “free” is a very major step that should done with careful oversight,” said Dan Jaffe, executive vice president of the Association of National Advertisers. “We would be very concerned about that step.”

Yet other groups saw the move away from U.S. oversight as inevitable and expressed support for the process if it’s open and embraces the needs of people who use the Internet around the world.

“This is a step in the right direction to resolved important international disputes about how the Internet is governed,” said Gene Kimmelman, president of Public Knowledge, a group that promotes open access to the Internet.

Verizon, one of the world’s biggest Internet providers, issued a statement saying, “A successful transition in the stewardship of these important functions to the global multi-stakeholder community would be a timely and positive step in the evolution of Internet governance.”

ICANN’s most important function is to oversee the assigning of Internet domains — such as .com, .edu and .gov — and ensure that the various companies and universities involved in directing digital traffic do so safely. ICANN is midway through a massive and controversial expansion that is adding hundreds of new domains, such as .book, .gay and .army, to the Internet’s infrastructure.

It long has faced complaints that the highly profitable domain name industry, which sells individual Web addresses for hefty markups, had established practical control over ICANN, to the detriment of other users. Rumors that the U.S. government would relinquish control were enough to alarm some business leaders on Friday.

Online mountaineer

Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:52:24 pm »
Huff Post:
The U.S. government announced Friday that it is relinquishing it's hold on a key Internet oversight role.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the Commerce Department announced the decision to transition out of managing domain names and addresses for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). The move is planned for September 2015, when the current contract runs out, the Journal added.

According to the Journal, the move is considered a response to international backlash that the U.S. faced as a result of the National Security Agency spying scandal. The Washington Post adds that the move is likely to please those critics, but business leaders could be concerned. ...
More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:39:32 am »
I can't believe this news slid out on the Friday news dump, it is what we should be paying attention to.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:52:40 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:45:42 pm »
The Obama administration did this very willingly, which means it isn't a good thing for America in the long run.  A Facebook friend of mine opined:
Rockefeller backing it and the Obama administration pushing it makes it VERY suspect in my book. Could it mean UN and NWO control? Is this setting the stage for people demanding a NWO government based around the internet as a start? Like Jeckel Island, Obamacare, and Common Core, is there a draft already created to put forth establishing NWO Control?
From the WashPost story:
In a statement, Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.) called the move “consistent with other efforts the U.S. and our allies are making to promote a free and open Internet, and to preserve and advance the current multi-stakeholder model of global Internet governance.”

But former House speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) tweeted: “What is the global internet community that Obama wants to turn the internet over to? This risks foreign dictatorships defining the internet.” ...

... U.S. officials set several conditions and an indeterminate timeline for the transition from federal government authority, saying a new oversight system must be developed and win the trust of crucial stakeholders around the world. An international meeting to discuss the future of Internet is scheduled to start on March 23 in Singapore.
So there's no oversight and some entity certainly will step in. UN as my friend says or dictatorships as Newt suggests?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 04:16:34 pm »
Welcome Comrades to New Era for Peoples Web!

U.S. officials announced plans Friday to relinquish federal government control over the administration of the Internet, a move that pleased international critics but alarmed some business leaders and others who rely on the smooth functioning of the Web.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/us-to-relinquish-remaining-control-over-the-internet/2014/03/14/0c7472d0-abb5-11e3-adbc-888c8010c799_story.html

The Banana Republics are already lining up for the internet tax bing! Welcome to Obamanet! Mandatory Internet Provider for The People is free...but comes with 20 percent Income surcharge...for people

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 04:31:59 pm »
They are doing this because 'the world', so to speak, is very much committed to censorship of the internet. Russia, China, and the Muslim countries have very strict censorship rules on what people can access, and say, and do, on the internet, accompanied by very harsh and sever punishments for anyone caught getting around the rules.

The irony is the GOPe/Democrat oligarchy in America feel the same way. McConnell, McCain, Graham, et al, would love to be able to censor the internet, as would Ried, Pelosi, Obama, et al. This is something which both parties power establishment agree. Sites like FR, and GOPBR, and many others, would be shut down immediately for some public pretense, whatever form it may take. For example, "telling lies", or "fomenting violence", etc.

This move gives the power establishment (Pubs and Dems) the ability to control criticism against them, while maintaining cover under the guise of ICANN "Hey! Its not us! It is them (ICANN) doing it.

This way the established power structures will be able to influence who and what is available on the internet without ever getting their hands dirty. That is why this is being pushed by both establishment power people in America. It is just another in very many steps in America toward full authoritarianism. It is, just another brick in the wall.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:39:35 pm »
They are doing this because 'the world', so to speak, is very much committed to censorship of the internet. Russia, China, and the Muslim countries have very strict censorship rules on what people can access, and say, and do, on the internet, accompanied by very harsh and sever punishments for anyone caught getting around the rules.

The irony is the GOPe/Democrat oligarchy in America feel the same way. McConnell, McCain, Graham, et al, would love to be able to censor the internet, as would Ried, Pelosi, Obama, et al. This is something which both parties power establishment agree. Sites like FR, and GOPBR, and many others, would be shut down immediately for some public pretense, whatever form it may take. For example, "telling lies", or "fomenting violence", etc.

This move gives the power establishment (Pubs and Dems) the ability to control criticism against them, while maintaining cover under the guise of ICANN "Hey! Its not us! It is them (ICANN) doing it.

This way the established power structures will be able to influence who and what is available on the internet without ever getting their hands dirty. That is why this is being pushed by both establishment power people in America. It is just another in very many steps in America toward full authoritarianism. It is, just another brick in the wall.

And that wall gets broader and higher each day, unabated.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:40:05 pm by katzenjammer »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 04:42:15 pm »
I think people owe apologies to all the people in the 1990's that spoke of this happening via the 'new world order' and were called right wing conspiracy kooks that wore tin-foil hats and saw black helos.

Only thing is: that now that it is real, it is surreal. like everything else with Obama, people are stunned and what can anybody do about it?

Apparently Kerry signed a gun treaty with the UN and the usual -HE CAN'T DO that without the states voting- people piped in. Well guess what, they did it anyway and nobody is going to stop them or this UN internet take-over of everything,because Obama is half black and historic and Lurch said it is so.

This is exactly why I don't buy the, do not stop or impeach Obama arguments. We may not have an America as we know it to re elect someone else.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 04:46:55 pm »
I think people owe apologies to all the people in the 1990's that spoke of this happening via the 'new world order' and were called right wing conspiracy kooks that wore tin-foil hats and saw black helos.

Only thing is: that now that it is real, it is surreal. like everything else with Obama, people are stunned and what can anybody do about it?

Apparently Kerry signed a gun treaty with the UN and the usual -HE CAN'T DO that without the states voting- people piped in. Well guess what, they did it anyway and nobody is going to stop them or this UN internet take-over of everything,because Obama is half black and historic and Lurch said it is so.

This is exactly why I don't buy the, do not stop or impeach Obama arguments. We may not have an America as we know it to re elect someone else.

Gazoo, people have been warning about this for a longer time than the '90s.  And of course, they continue to be discredited as "kooks" from virtually all parts of the political spectrum.  It always brings to mind that old Ayn Rand quote: "You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 04:47:03 pm »
this is something that's been a long time coming.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 04:53:43 pm »
Well, we all know that everything that Obama comes in contact with turns to sh*t. Why would the interweb be any different?
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 04:56:09 pm »

I keep having this dream of waking up to hear reports that Obama and his Regime have been deposed by our military in order to restore Constitution control of our country.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »
Gazoo, people have been warning about this for a longer time than the '90s.  And of course, they continue to be discredited as "kooks" from virtually all parts of the political spectrum.  It always brings to mind that old Ayn Rand quote: "You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."

Yeah, but in the 80's all those that started a "NWO, black helicopters are coming to take you away at the governments order," in a prodigy or AOL chat room, were called bigger kooks than the ones in the 90's. :laugh:

BTW back then wtf were those chat rooms exact meaning- that were titled, "Friends of Bill"? And WHY was it when the AOL lady said "You've got mail' you somehow got so damned excited and RAN to the other side of your house to find that FREE 6400 hours AOL CD to start another account?  ^-^ :laugh: :silly:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 05:12:07 pm »
I keep having this dream of waking up to hear reports that Obama and his Regime have been deposed by our military in order to restore Constitution control of our country.

I wish I had that dream.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 05:16:26 pm »
I wish I had that dream.

Have at it. I don't mind sharing!  :beer:

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »
Well, we all know that everything that Obama comes in contact with turns to sh*t. Why would the interweb be any different?

Yes. It is the opposite 'Midas touch'. Instead of turning to gold, everything he touches turns to sh*t, and I am not convinced that it is 'accidental'.

I've been saying this for a while, and still believe, that the next thing on Obama's 'destroy America' program is automobiles. It is only logical. If you want to cripple America, what better way is there than to hinder, limit, or even curtail, personal transportation. I know personally that without my car, I would not be able to keep my job. I work where there is no public transportation available. However, I do not think this will stop Obama and his crew.

Obama and his gang are going to come up with some 'law' that says a car that is 'X' number of years old, or one that does not have this feature or device or that feature or device, is going to be 'illegal'.

I do not have the specifics on what form it will take, but our automobiles are next on the chopping block in his effort to 'fundementally transform' America.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What have we lost so far?
There is no longer in America any pretense of a 'private' business. All businesses small or large are now under the direct control of the courts and by extension the government.

We no longer have 'private' healthcare. And now they want doctors to question your children about what you do at home and how many guns you have.

We no longer own 'our' land or have 'private' land. All land is controlled, and therefore owned by the EPA and the government. Land owners are merely 'custodians' of land for the government, and can only do anything on the government's land that the government approves and allows. If a land owner does something on so called 'private' land that the government does not approve, the government will take their land back and evict the current tenant. If the tenant does not pay the 'rent' or property tax as it is called, the government will evict the tenant and take their land back. Private land or property ownership no longer exists in America. Rather we are 'joint owners' along with the EPA and the government.

These are a few examples out of hundreds. But clearly America is not America anymore. Until and unless we oust the current government's stanglehold on the population of America, I believe we are on track to a full authoritarian government like the one in Venezuela, Cuba, and Russia, where the government de-facto owns everything and everyone, and we are all merely surfs serving at the whim of the power establishment in D.C.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:18:17 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 05:21:00 pm »

Yes. It is the opposite 'Midas touch'. Instead of turning to gold, everything he touches turns to sh*t, and I am not convinced that it is 'accidental'.

I've been saying this for a while, and still believe, that the next thing on Obama's 'destroy America' program is automobiles. It is only logical. If you want to cripple America, what better way is there than to hinder, limit, or even curtail, personal transportation. I know personally that without my car, I would not be able to keep my job. I work where there is no public transportation available. However, I do not think this will stop Obama and his crew.

Obama and his gang are going to come up with some 'law' that says a car that is 'X' number of years old, or one that does not have this feature or device or that feature or device, is going to be 'illegal'.

I do not have the specifics on what form it will take, but our automobiles are next on the chopping block in his effort to 'fundementally transform' America.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no longer in America any pretense of a 'private' business. All businesses small or large are now under the direct control of the courts and by extension the government.

We no longer have 'private' healthcare. And now they want doctors to question your children about what you do at home and how many guns you have.

We no longer own 'our' land or have 'private' land. All land is controlled, and therefore owned by the EPA and the government. Land owners are merely 'custodians' of land for the government, and can only do anything on the government's land that the government approves and allows. If a land owner does something on so called 'private' land that the government does not approve, the government will take their land back and evict the current tenant. If the tenant does not pay the 'rent' or property tax as it is called, the government will evict the tenant and take their land back. Private land or property ownership no longer exists in America. Rather we are 'joint owners' along with the EPA and the government.

These are a few examples out of hundreds. But clearly America is not America anymore. Until and unless we oust the current government's stanglehold on the population of America, I believe we are on track to a full authoritarian government like the one in Venezuela, Cuba, and Russia, where the government de-facto owns everything and everyone, and we are all merely surfs serving at the whim of the power establishment in D.C.

goopo

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 05:26:02 pm »

Part one of your post.

He will try another clash for clunkers-vision 2.0. (SEE Hitler and VW's)

Part two of your post.

And people think it is somehow extreme to call Obama a communist?

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 05:28:37 pm »
with all due respect, there is still too much MWO/blackhat/tinfoil nonsense going on.

One comment was particularly striking:  that now sites like this one would be suppressed?  If anything this change will make it less likely that a site like this would be suppressed because the only government even remotely interested in suppressing this site would be the US government, which is reducing its control over the domain name system (which is all that's really involved here).

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 05:52:18 pm »
I hope you are right, but I doubt it. The fact that they offloaded 'responsibility' to an international committee, does not mean that the American government cannot influence or even control their 'decisions'. This is just the first step toward U.N. control over all aspects of the internet, just like Obama and the Dems are doing with gun control. It is all part of the same thing, IMO.

Again, I hope you are right and I am wrong. Nothing would make me happier.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 06:00:11 pm »
with all due respect, there is still too much MWO/blackhat/tinfoil nonsense going on.

One comment was particularly striking:  that now sites like this one would be suppressed?  If anything this change will make it less likely that a site like this would be suppressed because the only government even remotely interested in suppressing this site would be the US government, which is reducing its control over the domain name system (which is all that's really involved here).

Ex-Bush admin official: Internet giveaway weakens cybersecurity, opens door to Web tax

"The U.S. government’s plan to give away authority over the Internet’s core architecture to the “global Internet community” could endanger the security of both the Internet and the U.S. — and open the door to a global tax on Web use.“U.S. management of the internet has been exemplary and there is no reason to give this away — especially in return for nothing,” former Bush administration State Department senior advisor Christian Whiton told The Daily Caller. “This is the Obama equivalent of Carter’s decision to give away the Panama Canal — only with possibly much worse consequences.”The U.S. Commerce Department announced late Friday it would relinquish control of The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) — the organization charged with managing domain names, assigning Internet protocol addresses and other crucial Web functions — after its current contract expires next year."

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/15/ex-bush-admin-official-internet-giveaway-weakens-cybersecurity-opens-door-to-web-tax/

From this threads article

"But former House speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) tweeted: “What is the global internet community that Obama wants to turn the internet over to? This risks foreign dictatorships defining the internet.”
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:17:35 pm by Gazoo »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 06:25:42 pm »
Ease down. The US has simply given up it's monopoly on domain name registration.

That's it. It's a none story that has been in the works since 2009.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 06:27:57 pm »
Ease down. The US has simply given up it's monopoly on domain name registration.

That's it. It's a none story that has been in the works since 2009.

Actually I think it's been in the works since at least 2006; and the give-away, if you will, is basically just having final say-so over what goes in the ultimate root file.  So basically just giving up a final veto on certain IP to domain name associations being put into the master file.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »

But it won't protect you from a global taxation.

What's next, internet global voting for Obama again? New world currency? The rainbow flag as the world flag?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:54:48 pm by Gazoo »

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 06:51:46 pm »
I think both of you guys are being incedibly naïve. You seem to be bringing back the Carter administration. Giving up the Panama canal is easy, no problem, no big deal. Giving up the Sinai "for peace" is the best move.

Naaaah, this is nothing. No need to worry. Everything is fine. This is a 'good' thing.

Giving this up diminishes America, and is another step in granting control of American infrastructure and American society over to an 'international body'.

You can say, 'stand down' all you want. But I will not. This move is destructive to American national interests, and no amount of singing Kumbaya is going to change my mind.

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's crying, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's praying, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's sleeping, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya