Author Topic: Activists at University of Michigan trying to force engineering student to study race and ethnicity  (Read 876 times)

rangerrebew

Activists at U-M trying to force engineering students to study race and ethnicity

Posted By Robby Soave On 3:13 AM 03/14/2014 In | No Comments

To become a good engineer of business major, a student must first study the all-important subjects of race and ethnicity — at least according to student government leaders at the University of Michigan, who are working to extend the liberal arts college’s race requirements to all colleges of the university.

A proposal, drafted by members of the Central Student Government, aims to reform the requirement that all students in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts study race and ethnicity before graduation. Moving forward, all students–even those in the Colleges of Engineering and Business — would be forced to take a class with a racial component, if the proposal were approved by faculty.

Sagar Lathia, president of the LSA Student Government, which is separate from CSG, supports the change. He told The Michigan Daily that students studying business and economics had just as much reason to take R&E classes as their peers in LSA.

It would be helpful for economics students to study “poverty, inequality and labor through the scope of race,” he suggested.

Carly Manes, LSA representative to CSG and current CSG presidential candidate, said that intersectionality, “is the core component of the educational model.”

Manes hoped that the proposal would establish identity-based themes — such as gender, sexuality, immigration status, religion and race — as the core focus of the curriculum at each of the university’s colleges.

The proposal is support by the Black Student Union, a race-based activist group at UM that recently made news for presenting a list of demands to the university. Administrators immediately caved to group’s most costly demand: a $300,000 renovation of the campus’s multicultural center. (RELATED: UMich meets demands of black students who threatened ‘physical action’)

BSU activist Shayla Scales said the proposal was all about creating more diversity.

“I truly believe innovation lies in the crevices of diversity,” she said in a statement. “Making sure that we incorporate diversity in all of our thinking and the way that we see the world will only lead to innovation.”

Follow Robby on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/14/activists-at-u-m-trying-to-force-engineering-students-to-study-race-and-ethnicity/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Really? I didn't know a bridge, or a skyscraper, or a jet, or a new car really cared about the color or origin of their designer.  :chairbang:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

Really? I didn't know a bridge, or a skyscraper, or a jet, or a new car really cared about the color or origin of their designer.  :chairbang:

See, you learn something new every day! :seeya:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Carly Manes, LSA representative to CSG and current CSG presidential candidate, said that intersectionality, “is the core component of the educational model.”

Manes hoped that the proposal would establish identity-based themes — such as gender, sexuality, immigration status, religion and race — as the core focus of the curriculum at each of the university’s colleges.

I think if after Spock performed the Vulcan mind meld on this Jujube Spock would begin talking like Mr. Ed. Hell-lllowww, Will-ber.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
“I truly believe innovation lies in the crevices of diversity,” she said in a statement. “Making sure that we incorporate diversity in all of our thinking and the way that we see the world will only lead to innovation.”

Innovations lies in learning about the world around us, absent the lens of victimhood.  It's conspicuous that nobody seems to say "let's make sure people of color value education at least as much as whites do".  Instead, it's "let's make sure whites understand why we constantly talk about being victimized".
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Oceander

BSU activist Shayla Scales said the proposal was all about creating more diversity.

"BSU" -  in this context that would be Bull Shit University.

rangerrebew

Is she talking about the "crevice" I sit on each day? :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:17:07 pm by rangerrebew »