Author Topic: Iran Will Have to Make 'Tough Decisions', Says Kerry  (Read 749 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Iran Will Have to Make 'Tough Decisions', Says Kerry
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:28:29 am »
Via Arutz Sheva 7: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/178492

Iran has to take some "tough decisions" as world powers seek to hammer out a nuclear deal, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Thursday, according to AFP.

His comments came as he was grilled by lawmakers over the talks between Iran and the so-called P5+1 group of world powers, which are due to start up again in Vienna on Monday.

Under a six-month interim deal, Iran agreed to freeze its uranium enrichment program in return for sanctions relief worth some $6-7 billion, including the transfer of some $4.2 billion in frozen overseas funds.

Kerry insisted during a hearing of the Senate appropriations committee that Washington was testing whether the new Iranian leadership of President Hassan Rouhani was serious in reining in its nuclear program, which the West believes is a covert grab for an atomic bomb.

"We believe we're heading in the right direction. I can't tell you where it's going to finally land, we don't know," Kerry said of the negotiations due to last for the next six months towards a comprehensive deal.

"There's some very tough decisions the Iranians are going to have to make -- very tough -- in order to meet the international community's standard for certainty as to the peacefulness of this program," he added, according to AFP.

He hit back against criticism that Iran was now attracting cash-flow and business back to the country, and that the sanctions relief was being used to fund Hezbollah terrorists fighting in Syria.

Kerry said he had contacted his counterparts around the world amid reports of trade delegations going to Iran.

"We have made it crystal clear that Iran is not open for business. They have accepted that," he declared, according to AFP.

"They are not cutting deals. There are people who have traveled, but there have not been new deals."

More at link.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rustynail

Re: Iran Will Have to Make 'Tough Decisions', Says Kerry
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:09:14 am »
Washington first or Tel-Avie?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 01:08:29 pm »
Is the final deal going to be getting Iran to agree not to use its nuclear weapons?   :pondering:

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »
Neville Chamberlain would be very proud, indeed.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:39:16 pm »
Neville Chamberlain would be very proud, indeed.

Beh - I wind up doing this a lot!  :shrug:

Neville Chamberlain did the only thing he could do at the time. He bought time to ramp up both the military and production - both of which were only possible because he laid the groundwork before he became PM. Without him, we'd be speaking German right now, and the US would be about the level of Canada in international relations.

Cut the guy a bit of slack. And don't confuse a clear eyed, pragmatic PM with the Worm and his associates. It is insulting.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:40:47 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 02:59:11 pm »
hard decisions:  will they have coffee or tea at the next "negotiating" session?  do they want the US delegation to sit on the floor like puppies, or bow in submission on their knees?  will they laugh in the faces of the US delegation, or just in private?  will they tell Kerry to his face that he looks like Lurch, or will they just smirk in silence?

hard decisions all.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 03:04:43 pm »
hard decisions:  will they have coffee or tea at the next "negotiating" session?  do they want the US delegation to sit on the floor like puppies, or bow in submission on their knees?  will they laugh in the faces of the US delegation, or just in private?  will they tell Kerry to his face that he looks like Lurch, or will they just smirk in silence?

hard decisions all.

Get outa my head.......

It would be funny if it were not so serious.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 04:23:33 pm »
John F in Kerry served in Vietnam you know!

Stayed there long enough to manufacture three purple hearts that HE put himself in for and got the hell out of Dodge!

Tough bastard he is! Better not mess with him!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 04:35:32 pm »

hard decisions all.
Boom! Nailed it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org