Author Topic: Kentucky Senate Committee Approves Rand Paul's Name Appearing on Ballot Twice in 2016  (Read 743 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/12/Kentucky-Senate-Committee-Approves-Rand-Paul-Appearing-on-Ballot-Twice-in-2016

by William Bigelow 12 Mar 2014

The Courier-Journal reports that Kentucky Senate committee voted Wednesday to allow Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) to place his name on the 2016 ballot twice, once for his reelection as a senator and once for president of the United States.

Paul made the request because Kentucky’s state law states that he would have to leave the Senate if he wanted his name on the Kentucky GOP presidential primary ballot. The Senate State & Local Government Committee voted 8-2, with the two nay votes being Democrats.

Senate Majority Leader Damon Thayer said there would likely be a floor vote on the issue next week. GOP supporters said that the U.S. Constitution does not allow states to decide who can run in federal elections.

The original bill, written by Thayer, stated that anyone running for federal office could appear twice on a state ballot, but during the committee’s meeting, he changed the wording so that only a presidential or vice-presidential candidate could take advantage of the opportunity. Thayer noted that Sen. Morgan McGarvey, a Democrat from Louisville, voted for the bill; Thayer said, “It gives me a bipartisan bill.”

McGarvey simply stated, “as a policy matter, I’m not opposed to it.” However, House Speaker Greg Stumbo (D-Prestonsburg) disagreed, saying that a candidate “who can’t make up his mind” should not be elected to any office.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Honestly, I oppose any candidate running for two offices simultaneously. I don't care who it is or for what office.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Honestly, I oppose any candidate running for two offices simultaneously. I don't care who it is or for what office.

I don't.  As long as he is still doing his job as Senator, I'm OK with it.  If he doesn't win the presidency, I don't want to lose a good senator. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
I know it has been done by more than Obama and McCain in the past, I can't recall other names but it has been done. It is the state law you must worry about and now Kentucky allows it.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_be_a_senator_and_still_run_for_president?#slide=2

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_senator_run_for_the_senate_and_the_presidency_in_the_same_election?#slide=2
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:57:40 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?