Author Topic: FLORIDA: Democrats Take Brutal Loss in ‘Must Win’ Race...  (Read 3438 times)

Oceander

Re: FLORIDA: Democrats Take Brutal Loss in ‘Must Win’ Race...
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:56 am »
http://www.gop.com/news/rnc-resources-to-win-in-fl-13/

RNC Resources to Win in FL-13

Posted March 11, 2014
The RNC worked hand in hand with the NRCC, Jolly campaign and Republican Party of Florida to provide resources to allow them to spend money elsewhere;
Our focus was on our new precinct organizing structure and a new suite of data driven tools that helped identify and message voters in an extremely close election;
We successfully implemented our new political model that we are replicating across the country to win in 2014;
We had field staff on the ground who built relationships and recruited precinct leaders and campaign volunteers across the district;
These boots on the ground used the RNC’s OneData voter file and a suite of new data tools including:
A new canvassing app to gather data;
A new voter scoring tool to find the right voters. These reports were particularly helpful in identifying early and absentee voters in a heavy early vote district;
Scripts and Universes for phone and door contacts;
Our API that allowed data sharing in real time;
In a heavy Absentee and Early Vote district we helped with a paid AB/EV campaign, email targeting and targeted Facebook posts;
The NRCC and Jolly campaign used our new control panel tool to monitor what was going on on the ground and where to send resources;
RNC co-chair Sharon Day held a volunteer rally and campaigned for Jolly.

I really, really hope this is true and not just a bunch of spin from the GOP because most of those tools are the same ones that the demoncrats deployed against us in 2008 and 2012 with such devastating effect.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 01:24:12 am »
Larry Sabbato was convinced Sink had this race tied up in a tight little bow....... 

The Republican who used to hold the seat went clear back to Richard Nixon days and was very popular, in the meantime a lot of snowbirds moved into the district from liberal northern states and has been turning this district blue....... this race turned on one thing - Obamacare.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 01:24:32 am »
IMO, the race was Sink's to lose (much better name recognition, was Florida CFO, lost governor's race to Scott, had *huge* DCCC support infrastructure and $$$), but she was simply not a good retail campaigner and did not do well in debates.  Many characterized Jolly as a B-/+ candidate (first time candidate) running a C- campaign (probably close to the truth).  So take from that, the Sink (DCCC) message ('fix' 0bamacare, 'protect' Social Security, support 'fixing' Climate Change, etc.) sort of fell flat on its face, at least in #CD13.

That is really the big deal in this! Jolly was a first time candidate running against a former state wide candidate that outspent him 3 to 1 and he still won in a district that voted for Obama TWICE! That's news!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:17 am »
Some sites refer to Jolly as a Tea Party candidate. Rand Paul went to Fl. on his behalf. Sink outspent Jolly by more than 3 to 1, which makes the victory extra sweet.

The "Tea Party" label came mostly from the opposition (IMO, Jolly is as much 'Tea Party' as Sink is a 'moderate' i.e., not really), Paul delivered a robo call endorsement late yesterday, Sink out-raised Jolly by about 3 to 1, but the outside $$$ pouring in (mostly for commercials) was about even, estimated to total up to about $13 million (for a special election!!) which is eye popping!!  The Libertarian candidate, Overby, got about 4.8% of the vote by raising anywhere from $30,000 to $43,000 (depending on the source).  My guess is that he drew that 4.8% evenly from Sink & Jolly.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 01:29:03 am »
Larry Sabbato was convinced Sink had this race tied up in a tight little bow....... 

The Republican who used to hold the seat went clear back to Richard Nixon days and was very popular, in the meantime a lot of snowbirds moved into the district from liberal northern states and has been turning this district blue....... this race turned on one thing - Obamacare.

Yes, and the district went to 0bama (by slight margins) in both '08 & '12 (and for Sink in '10, she lost the governor's race to Scott).  It is safe to say that 0bamacare was an issue, but I think that Sink's screwups were also a big factor.

(Oh, another factor to consider is that Sink wasn't really a resident of the district, she moved into a rented condo to run for the seat (i.e., carpetbagging!!  lol).  That was pointed out early and often, and didn't sit will with many.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:34:20 am by katzenjammer »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 01:30:12 am »
That is really the big deal in this! Jolly was a first time candidate running against a former state wide candidate that outspent him 3 to 1 and he still won in a district that voted for Obama TWICE! That's news!

It is news (but the outside $$$ sort of evened up the overall spending, Sink did out raise Jolly by about 3 to 1 though).  Actually very Good News!!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 01:30:53 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/11/Libertarian-Candidate-Takes-5-Percent

by Jonathan Strong 11 Mar 2014, 5:09 PM PDT post a comment
The GOP brought in the highest profile libertarian Republican in the country to help push just-elected David Jolly over the finish line, but 27-year truck driver with virtually no funding was still able to take nearly 5 percent in the polls.

Lucas Overby, a Libertarian party candidate, received nearly 9,000 votes in the Florida special election today, more than twice the margin between Jolly and losing Democratic candidate Alex Sink.

Third party candidates have long played a small but significant role in close elections – Democrats have blamed consumer advocate Ralph Nader for taking votes from Al Gore in 2000, for example – but Republicans have had trouble with libertarian candidates in a number of recent races including the Virginia gubernatorial election.

Last week, Sen. Rand Paul recorded a robocall funded by American Crossroads touting Jolly as as someone who wants to “ensure you, not the government, are making decisions for you and your family.”

According to his most recent Federal Election Commission filings, Overby had raised just $31,000 – a drop in the bucket compared to the millions spent on Jolly and Sink. 
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 01:32:59 am »
And those votes for Overby could have spelled the difference between this seat becoming a 'D' instead of remaining an 'R'.

Protest votes against the GOP and against GOP moderates might make you feel good, but they're political suicide right now.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 01:37:41 am »
And those votes for Overby could have spelled the difference between this seat becoming a 'D' instead of remaining an 'R'.

Protest votes against the GOP and against GOP moderates might make you feel good, but they're political suicide right now.

It is certainly the CW that the "libertarian" will draw from the GOP, but a lot of local experts estimated this draw was probably pretty close to 50/50.  (And this guy was the real deal, a local boy (only 27 years old) that was born and lived in the district his whole life.  He joined the Libertarian party at 17 as part of a high school civics project.  So he wasn't one of those ginned up libertarian candidates designed to draw from the GOP.)

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 01:57:23 am »
I'm sure the Democrats are quickly printing up more ballots as we speak and will soon discover a box with 3,127 votes, all for Sink.

This was my first thought as well.  Actually, my first thought was "I wonder when they're going to open a pollster's trunk and find a box full of ballots with nary a vote for the Republican in the bunch".
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 02:18:52 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/11/Libertarian-Candidate-Takes-5-Percent

Last week, Sen. Rand Paul recorded a robocall funded by American Crossroads touting Jolly as as someone who wants to “ensure you, not the government, are making decisions for you and your family.”

Karl Rove's American Crossroads comes through again.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 03:19:03 am »
Karl Rove's American Crossroads comes through again.

Rove has far more thuds than successes.  Most of his candidates flame out in the primaries and especially in the general.

Do you ever make a post that isn't intended to insult conservatives?
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 03:41:47 am »
Sink We Much!

Sighted Sink, sank same.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 04:41:54 am »
Rove has far more thuds than successes.  Most of his candidates flame out in the primaries and especially in the general.

Do you ever make a post that isn't intended to insult conservatives?

How is my admiration for what Karl Rove and Rand Paul did to elect a Republican, an insult to conservatives?  If you don't like my posts, pass on them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:43:57 am by Once-Ler »

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 04:52:05 am »
Now that I have 2 posts where I have not insulted conservatives let me get back to pointing out that SCF, Freedomworks, Tea Party Patriots, and the Madison Project spent no money or effort to elect Congressman Jolly.  Thank God.  Cause everything they touch turns to trash.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 02:24:19 pm »
You actually watch MSNBC?? REALLY?

WOW!!

I've never actually met anybody that admits that!

:beer:

MSNBC is great to watch when the left loses.  I love seeing those ugly, long, pained faces.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 02:28:47 pm »

How do you know they are protest votes against the GOP?  There are a large number of independents in that district.  And, it is very likely that there were democrats voting Libertarian in protest.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 02:35:27 pm »
MSNBC is great to watch when the left loses.  I love seeing those ugly, long, pained faces.

There is that!  :silly:
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 02:54:45 pm »
Have they counted the ballots found in the poll worker's car trunks yet?

"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 04:02:11 pm »

I caught whatshisname the one taking union money? Have a meltdown during the WI mess. It was 5 minutes and I had to change it.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2014, 11:14:17 pm »
Not just Democrats have egg on their face today - so does the RNSC which was so convinced Jolly was going to lose they went to Politico to trash him last Friday.......

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/david-jolly-alex-sink-florida-special-election-2014-104397.html

National GOP turns on Florida candidate

By ALEX ISENSTADT | 3/7/14 5:05 AM EST

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Their frustration had been mounting for weeks. But by late January national Republicans had had it with David Jolly, their candidate in Tuesday’s nationally watched Florida congressional special election.

The candidate had just told the state’s top political reporter that he disagreed with an ad the party was airing against his Democratic opponent — a spot paid for with the nearly $500,000 the GOP had already spent on Jolly’s behalf.

“Are you f—-ing kidding me?” a senior National Republican Congressional Committee official told a Jolly staffer over the phone, according to two sources familiar with the conversation. Would the Jolly campaign prefer that the NRCC stop spending money in the race altogether? the official asked.

Over the past week, a half-dozen Washington Republicans have described Jolly’s campaign against Democrat Alex Sink as a Keystone Cops operation, marked by inept fundraising, top advisers stationed hundreds of miles away from the district in the state capital and the poor optics of a just-divorced, 41-year-old candidate accompanied on the campaign trail by a girlfriend 14 years his junior. The sources would speak only on condition of anonymity.

Publicly, both sides declined to discuss the dispute. In a brief interview here this week, Jolly shrugged off questions about how he’s conducted his campaign. Andrea Bozek, an NRCC spokeswoman said, “We don’t discuss internal conversations we have with campaigns,” but added that “local and national Republicans have been working around the clock to elect David Jolly on Tuesday.”

Heightening the GOP’s anxiety is the national focus on the race — a battle for control of one of the nation’s few true tossup congressional districts, the outcome of which will inevitably be seen as a measure of the political environment heading into the November midterm. Republicans know that if Jolly loses, Democrats will point to the race as evidence that 2014 isn’t the lost cause for them that many have been predicting.

It is rare for party officials to criticize one of their own candidates, even anonymously, days before an election. One explanation may be so they can point to Jolly — as opposed to the national political mood or the ineffectiveness of attacks against Sink over her support for Obamacare — if he loses.

Standing outside Lenny’s Restaurant, a popular breakfast spot here, Jolly sounded upbeat.

“We’re one team. We’re one team. We share a commitment to winning this seat, because we share the same view of government,” he said. “Look, campaigns always have story lines to them. The important thing we focus on is what our party stands for, what I stand for, and what Alex stands for.”

Aides to Jolly did not respond to several requests for comment on specific criticisms of the campaign.

Despite Jolly’s problems, polls show a close race, with Sink narrowly ahead heading into the election. Sink, the state’s former chief financial officer who narrowly lost the 2010 race for Florida governor, has made her own missteps, most recently drawing criticism for poorly phrased remarks about illegal immigrants. She has appeared uneasy with the national exposure during the race: When NBC anchor Chuck Todd asked to moderate one of the forums, for example, her campaign vetoed it, saying it wanted a more local figure to ask the questions.

Jolly, a longtime aide to Young who left Capitol Hill in 2007 to start a lobbying career, wasn’t the Republican establishment’s first choice. In fact, GOP officials sought out three other prospects, eager to find a candidate with a higher and more appealing profile than they believed Jolly possessed.

After longtime GOP Rep. Bill Young died in October, House Speaker John Boehner called Rick Baker, a popular former mayor of St. Petersburg, and pressed him to run for the vacant seat. The Baker courtship didn’t stop there: Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush also pushed the former mayor to run, according to two sources. (Bush has since gotten behind Jolly, appearing in TV ads calling him “the best candidate to go to Congress.”)

After mulling it over for a few days, Baker turned them down. By that time, Jolly’s name had emerged as a possible candidate. But national Republicans went after two other possibilities — former Clearwater Mayor Frank Hibbard and Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri — both of whom also declined. That left Jolly to face off against state Rep. Kathleen Peters and one other candidate in the Republican primary.

As soon as the GOP primary began, problems emerged. State Sen. Jack Latvala, a powerful local powerbroker, bypassed Jolly and threw his support to Peters. And in a bizarre twist, Young’s family was divided: The late congressman’s widow, Beverly, backed Jolly while his son, Billy, was behind Peters.

Jolly won the mid-January primary easily. But his campaign entered the general election nearly broke — and, according to multiple sources, lacking a clear plan to catch up to Sink in the cash race. Jolly hadn’t hired a finance director, and some Republicans grumbled that he was reluctant to make fundraising calls.

Republicans grew worried. According to two sources familiar with the matter, NRCC officials pressed the Jolly campaign on whether it had come up with a blueprint to address the fundraising problems and counter the looming Democratic attacks on his lobbying career.

The Jolly camp response was dismissive: We’ve got it under control, staffers told them.

Unconvinced, the NRCC in late January dispatched a finance staffer to Florida to help the candidate fill his coffers. Soon after that, the committee sent three additional aides to the state to help Jolly’s team in a variety of ways.

With Jolly’s campaign basically insolvent, Democrats began pounding him on the airwaves. In the three weeks following the GOP primary, Sink and her Democratic allies outspent the Republican side nearly two-to-one on advertising. Many of the Democratic spots would echo an attack line that the party would use throughout the race: Don’t elect a D.C. lobbyist as your next congressman.

One ad from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee portrayed a suit-clad Jolly imitator walking from a K Street office to the Capitol. “So little gets done for us, while the special interests have lobbyists like David Jolly. He’s what’s wrong with Washington,” the narrator said.

To date, Jolly has raised $1 million to Sink’s $2.5 million. National Republicans say it’s hard to fathom how a candidate with deep connections to the D.C. influence world — and one who’s running in such a high-profile race — has struggled to draw donations.

Jolly’s lack of cash has left him dependent on outside conservative groups over which he lacked control — including the NRCC and Karl Rove-founded American Crossroads — to do much of his bidding. The NRCC spot that Jolly distanced himself from, to the consternation of GOP officials, criticized Sink for using a state plane for personal travel. Washington Republicans believed it was an effective attack; Jolly suggested it wasn’t fair game, saying there was more “nuance” to Sink’s conduct than the ad claimed.

Some of the ads that Jolly’s campaign produced were done on the cheap: One showed him standing in front of an obviously fake backdrop of the Florida coastline.

Mike Fasano, a popular former GOP state representative from nearby Pasco County, said it’s surprising, given the Republican candidate’s problems, that Jolly might still win.

“It’s not been run as I’ve seen other campaigns been run,” Fasano said. “I think he was probably getting bad advice from whoever he was getting advice from — his consultant, his campaign manager, whoever.”

Addressing a small group of reporters Wednesday, Jolly admitted his campaign lacked the money to defend himself adequately on the airwaves.

“Look, I’m a first-time candidate. I don’t come from personal wealth. I don’t come from family wealth,” he said. Sink “brought to her campaign statewide name recognition and a national party that clearly promised they’d put all the fundraising resources behind it.”

Fundraising hasn’t been Jolly’s only trouble. He’s also overseen a campaign that veteran GOP operatives describe as disjointed. Two of the campaign’s top staffers, adviser Marc Reichelderfer and communications director Sarah Bascom, have worked out of Tallahassee, a four-hour drive from St. Petersburg. Bascom, the president of a public affairs firm and a former top aide in the Florida state Senate, is a cousin of Jolly’s.

It is unusual for a communications staffer to work so far away from where a race is taking place, and Bascom’s distance from the 13th District has been a persistent source of complaints among Republicans. With her absent, Jolly often relied on a team of young aides to monitor his interviews with the parade of reporters who’ve descended on the district to write about the race.

Neither Reichelderfer nor Bascom responded to requests for comment.

The resulting media coverage has been overwhelmingly negative. On Wednesday, the Tampa Bay Times reported that Jolly’s Florida condo development is typically used by part-time residents, fueling questions about his ties to the district. In January, it was a story that he had once lobbied for companies that sought stimulus funds. A few weeks before that, the Times reported that Jolly was dating a 27-year-old former employee of his.

Behind the scenes, his campaign has caused grief for Republican leaders in Washington. The NRCC has spent nearly $2 million in the race, precious resources that could be used to help other candidates this year. But on at least two occasions, Jolly declined to say he would back Boehner as speaker. After the second response, Jolly sent out a tweet clarifying that, indeed, he would back Boehner.

That wasn’t enough for the speaker’s allies.

“After all that was done to help Jolly, his noncommittal statements on if he supports the speaker made Boehner advisers furious,” said one Republican official close to Boehner’s operation.

If Jolly has a strength as a candidate, it’s his accessibility. While Sink’s public events are tightly controlled, Jolly takes any questions thrown his way. At the diner and at a later stop at his campaign office to visit volunteers, some people wanted to talk to him about the race or about his views on a particular issue.

But other times, the conversation was more personal. At campaign headquarters, Jolly asked one of his volunteers how her preparation for the bar exam was going.

“It’s far more intimidating than it is difficult,” Jolly, an attorney by training, told her encouragingly.

Addressing a few reporters Wednesday, Jolly said he always knew the race would draw a national audience and plenty of dollars. But he seemed to acknowledge the possibility that he hadn’t done enough to stop the Democratic offensive.

“I think there’s a lot of noise out there,” he said. “And the unfortunate thing is I’m not sure voters know exactly where we stand on the issues.”

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 11:39:36 pm »
Sounds like the NRCC and American Crossroads got Jolly elected despite his poor campaigning skills.  Good job GOP.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 11:44:27 pm »
Last Month: DCCC Says It Will Run On Pro-Obamacare Platform In Florida’s Special Election – Now: David Jolly Routs Alex Sink… | Weasel Zippers
http://weaselzippers.us/179098-last-month-dccc-says-it-will-run-on-pro-obamacare-platform-in-floridas-special-election-now-david-jolly-routs-alex-sink/

Obamacare not a factor in Republican win in Florida: White House | Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/12/us-usa-politics-florida-obama-idUSBREA2B1RL20140312?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=574655

Obamacare not a factor.  :silly:  :nometalk:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:45:09 pm by Gazoo »

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2014, 11:56:00 pm »
Sounds like the NRCC and American Crossroads got Jolly elected despite his poor campaigning skills.  Good job GOP.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/03/12/how-republican-groups-found-their-mojo-in-floridas-special-election/

"The Florida CD-13 special was an important test market and there was unprecedented cooperation among outside groups," said Steven Law, CEO of American Crossroads, a conservative group that spent about $500,000 to help Jolly. "We intend to keep refining these lessons as we prepare for the fall elections."
Crossroads embarked on a coordinated effort in January with American Action Network and YG Network. The three groups combined to spend more than $1 million on the race. But they weren't even the heaviest hitters. The National Republican Congressional Committee spent more than $2 million and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce chipped in more than a $1 million of its own money. Taken together, GOP groups outspent Democratic groups by about $1.25 million.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members