Author Topic: Justina Pelletier Speaks Out: “I Feel Like a Prisoner”  (Read 578 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Justina Pelletier Speaks Out: “I Feel Like a Prisoner”
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:06:42 am »

Justina Pelletier Speaks Out: “I Feel Like a Prisoner”

by Steven Ertelt | Boston, MA | LifeNews.com | 3/12/14 3:37 PM

Justina Pelletier, the teen at the center of a legal battle between the Pelletier family and Boston Children’s Hospital over custody and proper medical treatment, is speaking out publicly about her ordeal.

A judge had previously sentenced the Connecticut teenager, who has been caught in a yearlong custody fight between her parents and Massachusetts child protection officials, to a new foster care program in Massachusetts. The ruling triggered an anguished response from her parents when it was announced by a juvenile court judge and pro-life advocates were also up in arms.

The case is drawing national attention, as Boston Children’s Hospital filed a “medical child abuse” complaint against Justina’s parents last year, leading the state to take custody of her and hospitalize her for almost a year.

The tragic case of Justina Pelletier has been dragging on for 14-months as pro-life groups have complained about how she has been denied education, religious services or clergy visit, and has had abysmal medical care while in the custody of the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families (DCF).

Pelletier has only been allowed one, one hour supervised visit per week with her mom and dad and they have not been permitted to take photographs of their daughter. But, following new legal pressure asserted by Liberty Counsel and intense media scrutiny, DCF permitted the most recent visitation to be unsupervised. Rev. Pat Mahoney, a nationally known pro-life activist, accompanied Lou and Linda Pelletier to visit Justina.

Justina is now speaking out and her words are being heard. Justina told her parents and Rev. Mahoney, “I feel like a prisoner.”

She also asked, “Why can’t I go home with my parents?”

Mat Staver, Founder and Chairman of Liberty Counsel, the pro-life legal group that has been working with Justina’s parents, commented on the case and Justina’s words.

“To hear Justina say she feels like a prisoner and wants to return home with her parents is heartbreaking,” Staver said. “DCF has abused its authority and hurt this family. DCF had no right to come between Justina and her parents. The parents love their daughter and were following expert medical advice in treating their daughter. Justina was doing well under the parents care. Now she is confined to a wheelchair. Justin loved going to school, but she has not seen her classmates or received any education in 14-months. This is a tragedy. Justina needs to be freed from her prison.”

Another hearing is scheduled for Monday, March 17, at the Juvenile Court.

“My goal is to get Justina home,” Staver concluded.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

Re: Justina Pelletier Speaks Out: “I Feel Like a Prisoner”
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:12:47 pm »
Justina should feel like a prisoner because she is one. No matter what her illness really is, it was made worse by her incarceration in a hospital she nor her parents wanted to be. I'm picturing a huge lawsuit for malpractice,  false imprisonment, among and assortment of issues.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »
No mention that ROMNEYCARE is the medical system in Massachusetts.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:26:50 pm »
Justina should feel like a prisoner because she is one. No matter what her illness really is, it was made worse by her incarceration in a hospital she nor her parents wanted to be. I'm picturing a huge lawsuit for malpractice,  false imprisonment, among and assortment of issues.

While I agree with you, I feel 100% certain that the young woman would far prefer her 14 months and ability to walk back, rather than some financial settlement.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »
While I agree with you, I feel 100% certain that the young woman would far prefer her 14 months and ability to walk back, rather than some financial settlement.
That's a pretty safe bet.

However it's about time that these worthless bureaucrats feel the sting of accountability. There is a special place in HELL for the people responsible for this outrage.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 04:31:55 pm »

Of course, her health is the priority, but those people have been through hell for over 14 months, and are probably financially burdened because of this.