Author Topic: THIS is why I'm fed up with the PCUSA  (Read 9688 times)

Online mountaineer

THIS is why I'm fed up with the PCUSA
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline happyg

Re: THIS is why I'm fed up with the PCUSA
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:44:36 PM »
I missed this one. Your Church isn't the only one with activist pastors who are more communist than religious. Keep pushing.

Online musiclady

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:02:49 PM »
Many former PCUSA churches (like ours) are now part of the EPC (Evangelical Presbyterian Church).

It affirms the supremacy of Scripture over 'cultural concerns,' the divinity of Christ, His death and Resurrection, and remains true to historical Presbyterian doctrine, while seeking to be a "Matthew 28 church"....reaching the lost with the love of Christ.

Soon there will be no Christians left in the PCUSA.  It will merely be an arm of the radical Democrat party.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
musiclady, I want very much for our church to leave the PCUSA and join the EPC! The problem is that we currently have a liberal interim pastor and haven't even begun the pastoral search process. We are sheep without a true shepherd, in other words. We need to find a pastor who is willing to lead us out of the PCUSA. It's a mess.  **nononono*

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »
musiclady, I want very much for our church to leave the PCUSA and join the EPC! The problem is that we currently have a liberal interim pastor and haven't even begun the pastoral search process. We are sheep without a true shepherd, in other words. We need to find a pastor who is willing to lead us out of the PCUSA. It's a mess.  **nononono*

My friend. No. You do not need a pastor to lead you and the congregation. You need someone to stand up and say enough to the BS. What, you think you are Catholic or something?  :laugh:

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 04:03:51 PM »
Why would you attend a church which goes against what you believe?

Why don't you and likeminded congregants break away? Here is a major Anglican situation in our area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Anglican_Church_(Newport_Beach)

The OC area is pretty well populated with Protestant religious institutions, including Chrystal Cathedral (before failure), Original Calvery Chapel in Costa Mesa (the tent by the freeway of the 70s), TBN, Saddleback, Benny Hinn's seaside multi-million home, etc. Harvest crusade is next door in Riverside County.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
Our church - our small congregation, that is -  doesn't go against my beliefs. The denomination does. We want to preserve our little church because of what it's meant to our little town. We want to get back on track.

EC, you have no idea how ridiculously bureaucratic the PCUSA is. It may as well be the federal government. One "wrong" move, and they'll threaten to take our church building. It may come to that.

Online musiclady

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »

Just as a word of encouragement.  We were without a pastor when we left the PCUSA.  (We had no interim, however, just pulpit fillers).  It was Session who investigated the options (they really did their homework!), and settled on the EPC to seek to join.  It took a while before we were full members, and it did happen after we found a pastor, but it's the best thing that has ever happened to our congregation.

We did have a lawyer from the EPC to protect our property rights (our church preceded the PCUSA, so we were able to keep the building legally), but it was worth everything to get out of that denomination.

Do you have some Elders with backbones?  I'm not sure how much authority an Interim Pastor has, according to the Book of Order, but it may be that your Session can overrule him/her.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
Our church - our small congregation, that is -  doesn't go against my beliefs. The denomination does. We want to preserve our little church because of what it's meant to our little town. We want to get back on track.

EC, you have no idea how ridiculously bureaucratic the PCUSA is. It may as well be the federal government. One "wrong" move, and they'll threaten to take our church building. It may come to that.

Hey- I am Catholic. Bureaucracy is in the blood. It gets depressing.

It's only a building though. The church is in your heart, not in bricks and mortar. God is in churches, in rooms behind pool halls, in tents and trenches. Depends how many are willing to go all in, I guess.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
Wow, musiclady, I may be in touch with you. We just need someone to help us negotiate the minefield. We have some money in an investment account and you can bet the presbytery would like to get its hands on it.

As noted, I'm an elder (with backbone, I hope!) and I know most,  if not all, of the rest of the session would support our exodus out of darkness.

Online musiclady

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
Wow, musiclady, I may be in touch with you. We just need someone to help us negotiate the minefield. We have some money in an investment account and you can bet the presbytery would like to get its hands on it.

As noted, I'm an elder (with backbone, I hope!) and I know most,  if not all, of the rest of the session would support our exodus out of darkness.

Please do get in touch with me!  Neither my husband nor I were Ruling Elders when it happened, but he's on Session now, and I'm sure we can get material to you, or give you some contact info to help you get started.

You DEFINITELY have backbone!   :patriot:

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »

It's only a building though. The church is in your heart, not in bricks and mortar. God is in churches, in rooms behind pool halls, in tents and trenches. Depends how many are willing to go all in, I guess.

If the Bible is anything to go by, I'd think God spent more time in the pool halls, tents and trenches looking for lost souls.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:44 AM »

That is true.  What were the Romans good at?  Administration.  Even though I prefer "papists".   :tongue2:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »
That is true.  What were the Romans good at?  Administration.  Even though I prefer "papists".   :tongue2:

You heretics and your labels ....  :tongue2:

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
I am an elder in the Presbyterian Church (USA) and really, really want to get my congregation out of this apostate denomination - which is losing dozens of churches each year, for good reason. Here's just one example of what we're dealing with, from the PCUSA website:Wow, how incredibly praiseworthy.  **nononono*

I gave up on the Presbyterian Church many years ago.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »
Just as a word of encouragement.  We were without a pastor when we left the PCUSA.  (We had no interim, however, just pulpit fillers).  It was Session who investigated the options (they really did their homework!), and settled on the EPC to seek to join.  It took a while before we were full members, and it did happen after we found a pastor, but it's the best thing that has ever happened to our congregation.

We did have a lawyer from the EPC to protect our property rights (our church preceded the PCUSA, so we were able to keep the building legally), but it was worth everything to get out of that denomination.

Do you have some Elders with backbones?  I'm not sure how much authority an Interim Pastor has, according to the Book of Order, but it may be that your Session can overrule him/her.

Wow, now THAT is an accomplishment!  I too am an elder (not ruling at the moment) and would be nothing short of amazed to see something like that come out of our Session. 

mountaineer--please keep us posted on your church's progress. 

Online musiclady

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »
Wow, now THAT is an accomplishment!  I too am an elder (not ruling at the moment) and would be nothing short of amazed to see something like that come out of our Session. 

mountaineer--please keep us posted on your church's progress.

It was like coming 'home,' Lipstick.

As a Bible believing, conservative Evangelical church, we were like a fish out of water for decades in the PCUSA. I was actually raised a Baptist (Swedish Baptist, specifically) and my husband and I became Presbyterians in our forties, but the local church we joined was doctrinally very close to our upbringing.  It was only the nasty, leftist denomination that delayed our joining, but we did so eventually.

When we freed ourselves from the very powerful (and I might say, demonic) grip of the PCUSA and joined with the EPC, it was like, as I said, being home............where we belonged.  Solid theology, solid belief in the authority of Scripture, majoring on the major and letting minor differences be settled in local congregations....... all around good stuff!  ^-^

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
If I ever can get all the other stuff in my life organized, musiclady, I may talk to you about driving up to chat with your session or at least the clerk of session during your transition - also could discuss via email. Only one church in our presbytery has left the PCUSA so far (also for the EPC) and I also need to get some advice from them. Maybe after Easter. Will let you know.

Online musiclady

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »
If I ever can get all the other stuff in my life organized, musiclady, I may talk to you about driving up to chat with your session or at least the clerk of session during your transition - also could discuss via email. Only one church in our presbytery has left the PCUSA so far (also for the EPC) and I also need to get some advice from them. Maybe after Easter. Will let you know.

Just let me know what you need and I'll try to do whatever I can.   

You know where I live.   :laugh:

(In the meantime, you might check out The Layman online.  It's a good resource regarding getting out of the PCUSA).

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:44:22 PM by mountaineer »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »
Good Lord.

The sooner you and your fellow congregation members get out of there, the better.

How is it going?

Was thinking - if you lose the church building, you could always ask your local Catholic Bishop for space. His Holiness is all about outreach and interfaith assistance, as indeed Pope Benedict was. In a time when more and more are turning from God, every believer is precious! It may mean shifting service times, but at least you'll still have a place to worship.

Online musiclady

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
I think the year was 2011 when the PCUSA changed its basic structure, by edict, and in that two things happened.

1.  The authority of Scripture was replaced with the winds of popular culture.

2.   The autonomy of the individual congregation was removed and the general assembly given power to assert complete authority over congregations. (Not unlike what Obama has done to this country in asserting the absolute power of the federal government over the will of the people/states).

(It was at that point that our congregation pulled out and joined the EPC).

All these statements by the PCUSA are in keeping with the surge left they took when they changed structure.  They are a semi-religious wing of the Democrat party.  Period.

The real Presbyterians, true to its theology, Book of Order and philosophy are leaving in droves.

I anticipate that they will keep swerving farther left, away from Scriptural truth, since they can no longer be checked by moderate or conservative congregations.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »
Mr. M and I attended our presbytery meeting last week and just couldn't take it (thank goodness we could blame our bad backs for walking out after 2 hours and 15 minutes). All they cared about was how to maintain the bureaucracy. So what if our presbytery alone has lost 2/3 of its membership over the past few decades? They don't even stop to wonder why.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf