Author Topic: Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer announces political retirement, won’t seek 3rd term  (Read 2088 times)

Online mountaineer

Gov. Jan Brewer, who developed an international reputation for her vociferous attacks on illegal immigration, is ending her career as an elected politician at the end of the year.

But she’s not retiring from politics.

Brewer made the formal announcement this morning at Park Meadows Elementary School in North Phoenix. She chose the site because it is where two of her children went and, as a parent, she first got interested in politics and considered running for school board.

But Brewer instead took advantage of an offer by her husband, John, to finance a 1982 campaign for the Arizona House. And almost 26 years later from the date she became a legislator, Brewer slid into the office of governor — a post she said she never ever thought to seek — when incumbent Janet Napolitano quit to become Homeland Security secretary in the Obama administration.

The governor took no questions after the long-anticipated announcement, ending months of speculation she would wage a bid for a legally questionable third term.

But in a wide-ranging exclusive interview with Capitol Media Services on politics, her tenure and her future, Brewer insisted she could run again if she wanted, despite a voter-approved constitutional amendment limiting elected officials to no more than two terms or any portion thereof.

Brewer contends the first two years she served did not count because she was completing Napolitano’s term. Brewer said Napolitano’s resignation automatically made her governor in 2009 with or without her consent, meaning it was not “her” term.

“But there’s a time to be, and a time to go,” she said in opting not to push the issue. “It’s the right time for me to move on.”

Her decision avoids having the question decided by the Arizona Supreme Court, which has never looked at the issue. It also means staying out of what already is a crowded Republican primary with nine announced GOP contenders, including two statewide elected officials who hope to jump to the top spot.

Brewer sidestepped questions of who she might endorse, saying only her party “has a good bench of candidates.”

But in talking with Capitol Media Services, Brewer showed she clearly is contemplating having a political life beyond the governor’s office and will not be relegated to tending the garden and filling hummingbird feeders at her Glendale home.

“I’m not going away,” she said. “I’m going to participate, I’m going to speak out on issues that I believe that are important.”

And she’s going to get deeply involved in helping her party elect “pragmatic” candidates versus the “ideologues” who have taken hold within parts of the GOP.

Brewer can do that because she has the financial reserves in two political action committees to ensure she plays a role in Arizona — and national — politics for years to come.

“I don’t have a million-plus bucks sitting around not to do anything with it,” she said. That includes money she has raised both for Jan PAC, which can be used to elect candidates for president and congressional offices, as well as her Arizona’s Legacy PAC, which she is spreading around to elect like-minded Republicans to the Legislature.

Much of that money started flowing after Brewer signed SB1070, the 2010 state legislation aimed at giving police more power to detain and arrest those not in the country legally. While some provisions have been voided by federal judges, Brewer continues to fight in court to enforce the rest.

She continues to use the issue to keep those PACs well fueled.

A nationwide fundraising email this past week for Jan PAC tells how, as a border state governor, she’s seen the “dangers of unrestricted illegal immigration” like crime and violence and drugs.

“Now our children run the risk of living in a country that is less safe than the one we grew up in,” she writes, urging people to send money “right now … to hold Washington accountable and demand border security first.”

The governor also has a closed-door fundraiser later this week here in Arizona.

“I could probably be on the stump every week someplace in this country,” she said.

Brewer also said no one should be surprised if she shows up in the early caucus and primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire. She said, though, that would be in support of a candidate and not to get herself a slot as some Republican’s running mate.

But don’t look for her to spend her time and money boosting the ideologues who she said insist on support for every single plank of the platform and every anti-tax measure.

“The Republican Party that I always knew and that I was engaged with was the party of the ‘big tent,’”she said. Brewer said that reflects the idea espoused by former President Ronald Reagan that someone who agrees with the party on four out of five issues is a friend.

That, she said, has all changed.

“If you didn’t agree with 100 percent of those who say they are the leaders, then you weren’t a Republican anymore,” Brewer said, something she said that “turned a lot of people off.”

“I have hung in with the party despite a lot of people encouraging me to leave,” the governor mused, including when she backed a temporary one-cent hike in sales taxes in 2010 as an alternative to cutting $1 billion a year from the budget and, more recently, in deciding the state should use federal money from the Affordable Care Act to expand its Medicaid program.

And Brewer said the GOP’s problems extend beyond the demands by some for ideological purity. She said some of the party’s stances come across as just mean.

“The Republicans that I know and work with, they are kind, good people that just want to make our state and our country better for everyone,” she said. But Brewer said many of those in that camp find themselves ostracized by those party ideologues.

“They have closed the gates to the tent,” Brewer said.

“If you don’t agree with them, you’re not allowed in,” she continued. “And if you’re in, they want to kick you out.”

Armed with her war chest, Brewer said she wants to change that to elect more pragmatic Republicans. She said that reflects what has been her philosophy her entire life, and not just in politics.

For example, as a young wife and mother she was working in California to put her husband through chiropractic school. That led to a job managing a 175-unit apartment complex, a job she did not like but needed.

“It was just awful,” she said. “I got so sick of garbage disposals and broken toilets.”

But the curious upshot of all that is now, at age 69, Brewer said she can still fix anyone’s garbage disposal. ...

Read on
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

Thank goodness.  As to third term.. we have term limits in AZ
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

I knew you'd be pleased, Rap.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

I knew you'd be pleased, Rap.

We have quite couple of good conservatives running, she was never a Conservative and fought our GOP legislature more than she ever worked with them.. so yes, I'm thrilled.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Thank goodness.  As to third term.. we have term limits in AZ

I don't understand how she has fallen from the people of AZ's graces so quickly? The same way I have no idea why Gov. Bobby Jindal is not liked by Louisiana anymore.

If she ran for President what would you say Rap? How bad is it?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

I don't understand how she has fallen from the people of AZ's graces so quickly? The same way I have no idea why Gov. Bobby Jindal is not liked by Louisiana anymore.

If she ran for President what would you say Rap? How bad is it?

She's under McCain's thumb.. same as Flake..  She raised taxes, implemented ocare in spite of our legislature...She vetoed every single bill they sent her until the finally gave in and passed Obamacare here...She only signed the immigration bill to get 're elected four years ago..I would never vote for her again for anything.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Brewer won the GOP primary for Governor in 2010 with 80% of the votes.

She was elected Governor in 2010 by Arizona voters with 55% to 42%, over the democrat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_elections,_2010

All things considered, there was NOT a better REALISTIC alternative.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

And Brewer said the GOP’s problems extend beyond the demands by some for ideological purity. She said some of the party’s stances come across as just mean.

“The Republicans that I know and work with, they are kind, good people that just want to make our state and our country better for everyone,” she said. But Brewer said many of those in that camp find themselves ostracized by those party ideologues.

“They have closed the gates to the tent,” Brewer said.

“If you don’t agree with them, you’re not allowed in,” she continued. “And if you’re in, they want to kick you out.”

She's right about this.  And this small tent will continue to get smaller if the litmus tests continue.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Carling

She's right about this.  And this small tent will continue to get smaller if the litmus tests continue.

If there ever is a true third party, it will largely look like the origins of the 2007 Tea Party movement, where Democrats, Republicans, and independents congregated to talk about fiscal conservatism, and to run candidates on that platform.  Getting caught up in social issues is a political liability if the idea is to actually convert a wide range of people into a party platform. 

Today's "Tea Party" seems more intent on destroying Republicans than actually running a small-government platform. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
She was noting but McCain's puppet, a RINO in the extreme.

Hopefully Arizona will do better next time.

And of course, all the leftists (oh I'm sorry "moderates") around here are now singing her praises.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

Brewer won the GOP primary for Governor in 2010 with 80% of the votes.

She was elected Governor in 2010 by Arizona voters with 55% to 42%, over the democrat.

I didn't need Wiki to tell me why she won big  - I guess some here have selective memory but in April 2010 she signed into law a very controversial (outside of AZ) immigration bill. Until she signed this bill her ability to even win the primary was in doubt, after she signed the bill all opposition to her melted away and she won re-election handily....... that said since being re-elected her popularity has not grown, quite the opposite.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I didn't need Wiki to tell me why she won big  - I guess some here have selective memory but in April 2010 she signed into law a very controversial (outside of AZ) immigration bill. Until she signed this bill her ability to even win the primary was in doubt, after she signed the bill all opposition to her melted away and she won re-election handily....... that said since being re-elected her popularity has not grown, quite the opposite.
And to repeat:

"All things considered, there was NOT a better REALISTIC alternative." Realistic being the operative word, all spin aside.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

She should run for President.

Offline Rapunzel

And to repeat:

"All things considered, there was NOT a better REALISTIC alternative." Realistic being the operative word, all spin aside.

Actually there was and he was polling quite well until she signed the bill then he stepped aside because it was clear at that point no one was going to defeat her since immigration is a #1 issue in AZ then and now.

Oceander

Offline Rapunzel

She should run for President.

right /s  I suppose if Hillary is your choice you would suggest a tax raising supporter of Obamacare a good candidate to oppose Hillary.

Offline Carling

right /s  I suppose if Hillary is your choice you would suggest a tax raising supporter of Obamacare a good candidate to oppose Hillary.

I only like candidates who hold my opinion 100%.  If they do one thing I don't like, they are garbage.   :pondering:

This is the vibe I get from a few posters here, along with their me-too pals. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:39:47 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Rapunzel

I only like candidates who hold my opinion 100%.  If they do one thing I don't like, they are garbage.   :pondering:

If I want tax increases and  Obamacare I'd vote for a Democrat.  She's been at war with our Republican senate and legislature for two years.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Seems that way at times.   :shrug:

Still, Gov. Brewer has a track record and I am more inclined to listen to Rap in this case - it's her governor and not everything each Governor does makes the national stage. It's like I trust the Texans on here for a more honest assessment of Gov. Perry as a whole than I do the news, or our New York members for the real down low on what is going on there.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

While I appreciate Rap's viewpoint regarding Jan Brewer. I won't dismiss the possibility Brewer may run and I will decide for myself and see how she does in the debates. There is a fine line between the McCains and Crists who are wolves in sheeps clothing and need to turn democrat or retire already. And others who have played the basic game of politics. No candidate is perfect. Take my senator, he at times was with the establishment in choices but I won't dismiss him. I can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

While I appreciate Rap's viewpoint regarding Jan Brewer. I won't dismiss the possibility Brewer may run and I will decide for myself and see how she does in the debates. There is a fine line between the McCains and Crists who are wolves in sheeps clothing and need to turn democrat or retire already. And others who have played the basic game of politics. No candidate is perfect. Take my senator, he at times was with the establishment in choices but I won't dismiss him. I can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Brewer is dumb as a box of rocks, she'll make Perry 2012 look brilliant.

Seems that way at times.   :shrug:

Still, Gov. Brewer has a track record and I am more inclined to listen to Rap in this case - it's her governor and not everything each Governor does makes the national stage. It's like I trust the Texans on here for a more honest assessment of Gov. Perry as a whole than I do the news, or our New York members for the real down low on what is going on there.

There are 4 states where a GOP governor has set up Obamacare compliant state health care exchanges.  AZ isn't one of them.  All Brewer is guilty of is signing that stupid immigration law.(I'm just kidding)

If you judge AZ politician by what Rapunzel says you will hate all of the GOP politicians.  She doesn't like Gov Brewer, Sen McCain, Sen Flake, Rep Paul Gosar, Rep Matt Salmon, Rep Trent Franks....maybe she tolerates Rep David Schweikert, but she doesn't trust him.  The rest of the Congressmen are rats and AZ has no LT Governor.  Those are the big names in AZ and with the exception of Schweikert they've all been called RINOs by people less conservative than Rapunzel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Rap.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

I see the so called me-too pals as open to all candidates. While they are being painting with a broad brush of Cruz/Paul ONLY groupies by the die-hard, old guard GOP -tote the GOP line no matter what- group.

I also notice the diehard GOP posters that think the GOP is the cats meow and should never be challenged only seem to post about just this subject and never seem to branch out on the other various thread topics. Therefore the Obsession perfume is/was accurate -and funny- I don't care who you are  :laugh:  ^-^ :nometalk:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:07:38 am by Gazoo »

I see the so called me-too pals as open to all candidates. While they are being painting with a broad brush of Cruz/Paul ONLY groupies by the die-hard, old guard GOP -tote the GOP line no matter what- group.

I also notice the diehard GOP posters that think the GOP is the cats meow and should never be challenged only seem to post about just this subject and never seem to branch out on the other various thread topics. Therefore the Obsession perfume is/was accurate -and funny- I don't care who you are  :laugh:  ^-^ :nometalk:
I know I'm obsessed by politics. :seeya:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
I know I'm obsessed by politics. :seeya:

:silly: Hi bachatcha  :seeya: we all are political junkies. What I meant was there are some that only like sticking themselves with the GOP/Tea Party schism needle and nevah,evah,evah, switch to the other view point-or any other poli-junkie topics-. It is what it is, oh well, but to these folks I say: don't get the panties in a wad when someone (can't remember who) posts a perfume bottle called obsession.

Just sayin  :nometalk: