Author Topic: Florida loss big blow to Democrats’ 2014 hopes  (Read 792 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Florida loss big blow to Democrats’ 2014 hopes
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:01:45 am »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/david-jolly-alex-sink-florida-special-election-2014-democrats-104560.html

The Florida special election Tuesday was supposed to be an ideal chance for Democrats to show that 2014 isn’t a lost year. Instead, they were dealt another body blow, further weakening their prospects for this year’s midterms.

Democrats couldn’t have asked for a more golden opportunity.

They had the right candidate matchup: Alex Sink, a respected former statewide official who nearly won the governorship in 2010, up against a former lobbyist, Republican David Jolly. They had the right district: A swing region of Florida that appeared poised to elect a Democrat after more than four decades of GOP representation. And they certainly had the money: In a year of staggering GOP spending, Sink far outraised her opponent and got nearly $4 million in help from outside Democratic groups.

In the end, it wasn’t enough. Jolly won by 3,456 votes. And he did it by playing a hand Republicans across the country are expected to follow: Run as an opponent to the president’s unpopular health care law and the Democrat as for it.

Democrats are scrambling to launch a counteroffensive — and if they don’t come up with one fast, Tuesday’s loss could foreshadow a brutal year for the party at the ballot box this fall.

Some Democrats tried their best to downplay the loss. New York Rep. Steve Israel, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chairman, sent out a statement noting that Sink “came closer to victory in a historically Republican district than any Democrat has in decades.”

Others stressed that wasn’t the way to go.

(Florida special election results)

“Dems should not try to spin this loss,” Paul Begala, a onetime top political aide to former President Bill Clinton, wrote on Twitter. “We have to redouble our efforts for 2014.”

Florida’s 13th District is, in many ways, the archetype of the kind of seat Democrats need to win if they’re serious about erasing their 17-seat House deficit anytime soon. Its electorate is older, overwhelmingly white, and politically moderate — in other words, the kind of people who dominate many of the swing congressional districts across the country.

In fact, the district should have been one of the Democratic Party’s most winnable targets. Of the 37 GOP-held seats that the Cook Political Report ranks as the most vulnerable to Democratic takeover, only 11 are more Democratic-friendly than Florida’s 13th. The district has just a narrow GOP registration edge.

“If the Democrats can’t win with their former gubernatorial candidate with 100 percent name ID, where are they going to win?” asked Guy Harrison, a former National Republican Congressional Committee executive director. “When the Democrats look at their playing field, they don’t have too many better seats to target. They don’t have too much of a prayer for winning the majority.”

(POLITICO's full coverage of the 2014 midterm elections)

Some Democrats viewed the race as a template for how the party could win in purple-hued districts. Over the past two months, Sink rolled out an elaborate plan to win over the GOP and independent voters she’d need to take the district, airing ads in which she promised to “work across the aisle. … Bringing Republicans and Democrats together — that’s what I’ve always done, and that’s what I’ll do in Congress.”

But Jolly’s win shows just how politically treacherous the path is for Democrats running in such moderate-to-conservative areas. Rather than moving to the center, Jolly pushed to the right, painting himself as a foe of President Barack Obama and his Affordable Care Act — and presenting Sink as a staunch ally.

“She supports Obamacare. I don’t. I’m David Jolly, and I approve this message because [we] need someone to look out for our interests, not President Obama’s,” he said in one TV ad.

In the face of those kinds of attacks, Sink’s can’t-we-all-just-get-along message just didn’t cut it.

Following Sink’s loss, some Democrats said they’re rethinking their approach to combating the GOP’s Obamacare-centered assault. Sink’s nuanced “fix it, don’t repeal it” message was one that the national Democratic Party is urging many candidates to embrace, but it may have been drowned out by the avalanche of loud Republican attacks.

One Democratic operative predicted that candidates would now find it safer to flat-out state their opposition to Obamacare, saying that, “It’s gonna be tough to get Democrats to support the Affordable Care Act this cycle now with the standard ‘fix the good, get rid of the bad’ schtick.’”

What’s particularly troubling for Democrats about the outcome is that they were facing a particularly flawed opponent in Jolly, a first-time candidate and former Washington lobbyist with a taste for pinstriped suits. In many other House and Senate races, Democrats are hopeful that problematic Republican candidates give them openings in a political environment that’s turned decidedly against them.

But Jolly’s win suggests that may be wishful thinking.

“In this environment, the only thing Democrats can do is hope for Republican opponents who come from professions even more unpopular than Washington lobbyists, and I’m not aware of any tow-truck drivers on the GOP ticket this year,” said Andy Sere, a GOP consultant.
-------------------------
no fools on our ticket

Offline mountaineer

Re: Florida loss big blow to Democrats’ 2014 hopes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:36:30 am »
 :beer:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:46:16 am »

But please. Lets keep the pressure up. I just get suspicious when Politico, the WH press arm, releases stuff like this. Is it a random bit of journalistic integrity, or is it a false sense of security?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 01:35:12 pm »

But please. Lets keep the pressure up. I just get suspicious when Politico, the WH press arm, releases stuff like this. Is it a random bit of journalistic integrity, or is it a false sense of security?

:amen:

Yet another EXCELLENT observation!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:46:13 pm »
Adam C. Smith: David Jolly's victory spells trouble for Democrats nationwide

By ADAM C. SMITH, TIMES POLITICAL EDITOR

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:25pm
If I'm a Democratic House member in any competitive district in America or a Democratic incumbent senator up for re-election this year in a moderate-to-conservative state like North Carolina, Arkansas, Colorado, Alaska or Louisiana, I'm waking up more than a little anxious about what happened in Pinellas County on Tuesday.

In Alex Sink, Democrats had a better-funded, well-known nominee who ran a strong campaign against a little-known, second- or third-tier Republican who ran an often wobbly race in a district Barack Obama won twice. Outside Republican groups — much more so than the under-funded Jolly campaign — hung the Affordable Care Act and President Obama on Sink.

It worked.

Sink and Jolly both tried to argue repeatedly that the race to succeed the late C.W. Bill Young had more to do with local politics than it did national. Nonsense.

More than $12 million spent on hundreds of TV ads and Lord knows how many direct mail fliers weren't talking about Pinellas recreation fees and bus routes. They were flooding Pinellas residents with mostly negative attacks about Obamacare and misleading charges about why Sink or Jolly should not be trusted on Medicare and/or Social Security.

Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus had every reason to gloat Tuesday night over Rep.-elect Jolly.

"His victory shows that voters are looking for representatives who will fight to end the disaster of Obamacare, to get Washington to spend our money responsibly, and to put power in the hands of families and individuals," Priebus said. "In November, voters all across the country will have the chance to send the same message that Pinellas County voters have sent: Democrats' policies are not working for America."

Don't be surprised to see vulnerable Democrats across the country start distancing themselves from health care reform in a way that Sink did not.

Nobody seriously expected Democrats to win back a majority in the U.S. House in November, but Sink's loss in a winnable swing district makes Democrats' hold on the U.S. Senate majority look more tenuous than before the special election.

[rest at link]

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:54:05 pm »
I fully expect Jolly to govern as a GOP-e type, but at least the Repubs hold the seat, and the Dems are in fear mode.  They usually overreach and start acting like children when they panic.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »

A good rule of thumb is when you are suspicious of a press release, it might be very good fertilizer for your garden. Treat it accordingly.   :beer:
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 04:24:12 pm »
I keep remembering the polls in '12. The certainty that an experienced senator could beat Obama in '08. Bore vs Bush in 2000. Complacency scares me. When it is an avowed left wing site fostering that complacency, my first instinct is "What don't they want us to see."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 04:32:33 pm »

goopo Obama and the media------>  :media:
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?