Author Topic: Sheila Jackson Lee Thinks the Constitution is 400 Years Old  (Read 1047 times)

Offline happyg

Sheila Jackson Lee Thinks the Constitution is 400 Years Old
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:39:03 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVFQEQ7xTo&feature=player_embedded
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D., Texas) declared the U.S. Constitution to be 400 years old Wednesday on the House floor, which would mean it was signed in 1614.

“Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority, the Republicans, my chairman and others, for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years, operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not,” she said.

That would be seven years after Jamestown, Virginia became America’s first permanent English settlement.

Lee is off by only 173 years. It was adopted on Sep. 17, 1787.

http://freebeacon.com/sheila-jackson-lee-thinks-the-constitution-is-400-years-old/

Offline R4 TrumPence

Re: Sheila Jackson Lee Thinks the Constitution is 400 Years Old
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:50 pm »
using Common Core Education standards she was close, therefore she was correct! :silly: :silly:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »

And they call Palin a moron? Have they ever called this loon out in the news like they do Palin, Bachmann?

We need a good Sheila Jax Lee gif. Makes my day.  :silly:
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:36 pm »
using Common Core Education standards she was close, therefore she was correct! :silly: :silly:

And, her constituents don't know better. That's how she gets elected.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:27:38 pm »

really?  what standard would that be?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:14:41 pm »
I think I know where this comes from.

God said to Abram, "Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, where they will be enslaved and oppressed four hundred years." Genesis 15:13

Many Black people, especially very stupid, as well as militant Black people are extremely antisemitic. However, although they are antisemitic they still attempt to usurp the Jewish mantle by claiming that they are "the real Jews" (or chosen people).

Therefore, if you talk to stupid Black people or militant Black people, they will go through all kinds of logical and historical contortions to say or 'prove' that they were slaves in America for 400 years. This is all an attempt to conform to the Biblical statement of the Hebrews, that they were enslaved for 400 years.

Now, when you get to a person of Ms. Lee, my assumption is that she barely has the I.Q. of a smart chimp, or a trained mouse. So in her incredibly simple mind, after being exposed to this 400 years doctrine, thinks everything old is 400 years old especially in America.

Part of the logical and historical contortions, mentioned above, that the Black militants use, is that America is really 400 years old and not 200+ years old. That is how Blacks claim they were enslaved for the 'right' amount of time, and that is what confused her. IMO
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 01:08:04 am »

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/12/another-impossibly-stupid-common-core-worksheet-sure-to-make-your-kid-a-moron/

Don't tell me that you've never estimated the answer to an addition problem before.  I do it all the time.  When I'm in the grocery store and I need to keep a running total of what the stuff in my cart costs, including the sales tax, I don't meticulously add the full price to my running total, and then 8.375% of the price to account for the sales tax - while trying to keep straight in my head what things are subject to tax and what not - I round, usually to either the closest whole dollar, or the half-dollar if the price is very close to that (e.g., $6.58 gets rounded to $6.50, not $7), I then take 10% of that rounded running total, knock a dollar or so off it (the amount gets bigger as the running total gets bigger), and use that figure as the tax.  That is much easier to keep in my head without bogging down my trip through the store, and it usually gives me a tolerably - i.e., reasonably - good estimate of my ultimate cost.

All this exercise is trying to do is teach the kids the ins and outs of estimating, and as I can testify to from personal experience, kids have a lot of trouble with rounding and estimating when they first get introduced to it.

The funny thing is, the example you've shown doesn't even demonstrate a "close enough" attitude in the first place.  Why?  Because the first thing the kids are required to do is to find the actual answer:  right up there at the top, on the second line, the kid has to give the exact answer to the question 354 + 291.

However, what no one seems to have picked up on is that this example - like too many examples I've seen under the old non-CC standards - contains a mistake: the second estimated number should be 300, not 200, because in front-end estimation one rounds to the left-most digit, so that all other places contain a zero when you're done.  In this case the example correctly rounds 345 down to 300 - because 345 is less than 350 - but incorrectly rounds 291 down to 200; since 291 is greater than 250, that number should have been rounded up to 300.  When done correctly the example results in the front-end estimation of the sum being 600, which is reasonably close to the actual answer of 645.

Now, here's the little twist this problem puts on things, and it really only makes sense when looked at from a child's point of view.  The reason the question asks if the front-end estimation makes the actual answer reasonable is because kids have a much harder time learning to do column addition with multiple digit numbers than they do with adding numbers where all digits but the most significant are zero.  So, given that rounding - once mastered - is easy to do and since the kids have already been taught that this sort of rounding can give you a good estimate of the actual answer, what this example is illustrating is that you can double-check your answer to the actual problem - which is difficult, particularly for a kid who's just learning math - by doing the much easier front-end estimation and then seeing how closely your answer to the actual problem comes to that estimation.

In this case, since the (correct) front end estimate is 600, and since 645 rounds down to 600 using the same rounding method as is used for front-end estimation, we know that our actual answer is probably the correct answer because it comes reasonably close to the estimate.

This isn't about replacing an exact answer with an estimate, it's about learning all sorts of different techniques for checking yourself and your work when you're not sure what the answer really is.

And this is a very time-honored technique by the way.  In fact, estimation basically forms the basis for calculus.  Calculus largely springs from the realization that the area of something like a curve (i.e., the area under the curve), which isn't directly computable, can be approximated using geometric shapes for which the area is directly computable by finding which shapes take up as much room under the curve as possible, along with the realization that the smaller each shape is in the direction that is parallel to the x-axis, the more closely the sum of the areas of those shapes approximates the area under the curve.  The "trick" in calculus is that this process is taken to its ultimate limit so that the x-axis length of each geometric shape approaches, but never reaches, zero.

So in a way, this very simple problem has a fundamental connection to the complicated problems of calculus.  Now I don't harbor any illusions that the teacher realizes this connection, nor that the teacher is going to point the connection out to his (or her) students.  All I am pointing out is that a facility with using estimates to arrive at reasonably good approximations to the actual answer is not only useful and efficient, it gives you one of the basic tools for understanding how, and why, calculus works.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 01:35:17 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVFQEQ7xTo&feature=player_embedded
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D., Texas) declared the U.S. Constitution to be 400 years old Wednesday on the House floor, which would mean it was signed in 1614.

“Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority, the Republicans, my chairman and others, for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years, operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not,” she said.

That would be seven years after Jamestown, Virginia became America’s first permanent English settlement.

Lee is off by only 173 years. It was adopted on Sep. 17, 1787.

http://freebeacon.com/sheila-jackson-lee-thinks-the-constitution-is-400-years-old/

The headline of this article is very misleading. Queen Sheila of The Triple Crown Weave has NOT been hit by a coherent thought since she invaded TEXAS from her home of New York.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.