Author Topic: Barbara Bush honors late vet's wish - cancels NY Times subscription  (Read 500 times)

rangerrebew

Barbara Bush Honors Late Vet’s Wish—Cancels New York Times Subscription

Don Irvine  —   March 10, 2014 

Former First Lady Barbara Bush is honoring a late veteran’s wish, by canceling her subscription to the New York Times.

Leonard Smith, 86, was a  veteran of both World II and the Korean War who was born and raised in New York and apparently wasn’t a fan of the paper, according to his obituary:

Leonard Smith hated pointless bureaucracy, thoughtless inefficiency and bad ideas born of good intentions. He loved his wife, admired and respected his children and liked just about every dog he ever met. He will be greatly missed by those he loved and those who loved him. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you cancel your subscription to The New York Times.

During an interview last week on Fox News, Mrs. Bush was asked if she had seen Times columnist Maureen Dowd’s recent piece headlined, “Brace Yourself for Hillary and Jeb.”

“I did see that and I thought, ‘Anything to make news,’” she told Fox News’ Steve Doocy.

Mrs. Bush asked Doocy if he had seen Smith’s obituary, and said that after reading the family’s request she decided to cancel her Times subscription.

It was probably a smart move—especially if Jeb decides to run for president in 2016—based on how the Times treated the previous two Bush presidencies.

http://www.aim.org/don-irvine-blog/barbara-bush-honors-late-vets-wish-cancels-new-york-times-subscription/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:23:44 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Barbara Bush honors late vet's wish - cancels NY Times subscription
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 05:04:36 pm »
From 2014
Former First Lady Barbara Bush is honoring a late veteran’s wish, by canceling her subscription to the New York Times.

Leonard Smith, 86, was a  veteran of both World II and the Korean War who was born and raised in New York and apparently wasn’t a fan of the paper, according to his obituary:

Leonard Smith hated pointless bureaucracy, thoughtless inefficiency and bad ideas born of good intentions. He loved his wife, admired and respected his children and liked just about every dog he ever met. He will be greatly missed by those he loved and those who loved him. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you cancel your subscription to The New York Times.

During an interview last week on Fox News, Mrs. Bush was asked if she had seen Times columnist Maureen Dowd’s recent piece headlined, “Brace Yourself for Hillary and Jeb.”

“I did see that and I thought, ‘Anything to make news,’” she told Fox News’ Steve Doocy.

Mrs. Bush asked Doocy if he had seen Smith’s obituary, and said that after reading the family’s request she decided to cancel her Times subscription.

It was probably a smart move—especially if Jeb decides to run for president in 2016—based on how the Times treated the previous two Bush presidencies.

https://www.aim.org/don-irvine-blog/barbara-bush-honors-late-vets-wish-cancels-new-york-times-subscription/
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."