Author Topic: House cat in Oregon attacks baby, traps family in bedroom  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Rapunzel

House cat in Oregon attacks baby, traps family in bedroom
« on: March 11, 2014, 05:52:27 am »
http://news.msn.com/us/house-cat-in-oregon-attacks-baby-traps-family-in-bedroom

House cat in Oregon attacks baby, traps family in bedroom
Reuters 5 hr ago By Reuters

(Reuters) - A rampaging, 22-pound Oregon house cat with a "history of violence" attacked a baby and trapped a family and their dog in a bedroom at their Portland home before being captured by police, authorities said on Monday.

The Sunday evening incident began when the cat, a black-and-white Himalayan, scratched a 7-month-old baby in the face, according to Portland Police Bureau spokesman Sergeant Pete Simpson.

The baby's father kicked the cat in the backside, which sent it into a rage, and the parents and baby, along with their dog, retreated into a bedroom as the father called police, Simpson said.

Meanwhile, the cat blocked the bedroom doorway and could be heard on the 911 call screeching loudly, Simpson said.

"He said that the cat has a history of violence," Simpson said, referring to the father speaking to the 911 operator.

When officers arrived and entered the house, they saw the cat scurry into the kitchen. After it scrambled atop the refrigerator, officers snared it and put it in a travel-style kennel, Simpson said.

Safely behind bars, the cat was left in the custody of the family, Simpson said. It was not clear what they intend to do with the animal, he said.

The baby suffered some scratches to the face but was not seriously hurt, Simpson said.

While cases of out-of-control dogs are relatively common, Simpson said, he could not recall in his 20 years with the Portland police a similarly ferocious feline.

(Reporting by Jonathan Kaminsky in Olympia, Wash. Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Steve Orlofsky)

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: House cat in Oregon attacks baby, traps family in bedroom
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 05:52:48 am »
Kicking the cat (or any animal) doesn't help things.....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:12:53 pm »
this article is confusing  did he kick the cat before or after it scratched the baby ?
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:14:43 pm »
this article is confusing  did he kick the cat before or after it scratched the baby ?

I took it as after.  I think there is some things we are not being told in this story - like why did the cat scratch the baby?  If the cat has a history of bad behavior why was it near the baby?  Did the owners have a habit of mistreating the cat - thus the "bad behavior?"

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:17:49 pm »
Kicking the cat (or any animal) doesn't help things.....

Good Lord!!

I have heard this on the radio today and I am stunned!

Let me get this straight. Grown man hiding from a damned 22 pound cat?? Is this guy serious?? Even worse that the cat attacks a child and this PANSY is hiding behind a door calling 9-1-1??

No wonder this country is so screwed up!!

Sheesh!
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:08:22 pm »

A baby jerks and waves its arms and feet all the time.  If the cat was resting nearby and became frightened it was merely a relex, defensive action from the cat.

The subsequent kick in the hindquarters may have injured the cat and it became naturally enraged at its attacker and any "big people".

What they're not telling us is the cat's prior behavioral history.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:12:23 pm »
I took it as after.  I think there is some things we are not being told in this story - like why did the cat scratch the baby?  If the cat has a history of bad behavior why was it near the baby?  Did the owners have a habit of mistreating the cat - thus the "bad behavior?"

Same here. My son had a mean, feral cat. He found it as a kitten on the highway. They had the kitten declawed to protect their newborn baby. They have a video of the cat smacking my granddaughter when she was around a year old. He was hitting her like she was a punching bag, and her head bobbed from side to side. She didn't seem to be bothered by it.

I don't believe in declawing cats. I trim my cats' nails, particularly the male cat's whose claws are like daggers. This man should have done the same, or put on a long sleeved sweatshirt, and controlled the cat. Like you said, something is missing, and I think the cat is feral because of mistreatment.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:31 pm »
Same here. My son had a mean, feral cat. He found it as a kitten on the highway. They had the kitten declawed to protect their newborn baby. They have a video of the cat smacking my granddaughter when she was around a year old. He was hitting her like she was a punching bag, and her head bobbed from side to side. She didn't seem to be bothered by it.

I don't believe in declawing cats. I trim my cats' nails, particularly the male cat's whose claws are like daggers. This man should have done the same, or put on a long sleeved sweatshirt, and controlled the cat. Like you said, something is missing, and I think the cat is feral because of mistreatment.

Using claws defensively doesn't define feral.  It's instinct and genetics.

I prefer declawed cats.  But it's not a deal breaker.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:23:29 pm »
Using claws defensively doesn't define feral.  It's instinct and genetics.

I prefer declawed cats.  But it's not a deal breaker.

Two of my sons' cats are declawed. I just never had the guts. Now, my cats are too old, and mastered the art of climbing everywhere. They don't scratch me like they used to. I was nothing but scratches for a long time. Clipping their nails allows them to climb. I just clip off the sharp points that curve down. That way, they don't get hung up on stuff. I had to get Lizzie off the patio screen. She tried to climb it, and got stuck. She doesn't meow, but her mouth was wide open trying to make noise.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:29:00 pm »
Two of my sons' cats are declawed. I just never had the guts. Now, my cats are too old, and mastered the art of climbing everywhere. They don't scratch me like they used to. I was nothing but scratches for a long time. Clipping their nails allows them to climb. I just clip off the sharp points that curve down. That way, they don't get hung up on stuff. I had to get Lizzie off the patio screen. She tried to climb it, and got stuck. She doesn't meow, but her mouth was wide open trying to make noise.

Yeah...they can break your heart.  But just try to remember the last time you saw or heard about a deceased cat caught on a slider screen. 

Then again, maybe a snowy white owl scoops down and carries them off.      :laugh:

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:34:53 pm »
Yeah...they can break your heart.  But just try to remember the last time you saw or heard about a deceased cat caught on a slider screen. 

Then again, maybe a snowy white owl scoops down and carries them off.      :laugh:

:silly: Lizzie got outside and was trying to get back in. I didn't know she was out, so don't know how long she was hanging on the screen. It got close to 60 here today, so I took them outside and let them play while I did yard work. We're supposed to get 4 inches of snow tonight and below zero tomorrow. What the heck????

Offline Howie66

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:48:50 pm »

We have 1 1/2 dogs and a cat. The cat (Bailey) is almost 18 months old and an outdoor cat.  He's taken down several birds, lizards and one Copperhead to date. Great cat and he will let my grandsons (3 & 6) pick him up, carry him around and never bat an eye. He plays with our 1/2 dog all the time like they are siblings. Funny as hell!
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 11:53:11 pm »

We have 1 1/2 dogs and a cat. The cat (Bailey) is almost 18 months old and an outdoor cat.  He's taken down several birds, lizards and one Copperhead to date. Great cat and he will let my grandsons (3 & 6) pick him up, carry him around and never bat an eye. He plays with our 1/2 dog all the time like they are siblings. Funny as hell!

What is a 1/2 dog???  :shrug:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 11:56:53 pm »
Wow...I know I sure wouldn't be hiding in my bedroom....minus one cat....kapow!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:03:22 am »

I had the same question!

Offline Howie66

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 12:05:10 am »
Our Maltese-Shih Tzu mix. AKA a Shih-tese

Offline LambChop

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 12:05:55 am »
the wife had to be looking at her husband AND dog with a  WTH? look.  lotta good either of them did   lol

Offline Howie66

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 12:06:16 am »
Wow...I know I sure wouldn't be hiding in my bedroom....minus one cat....kapow!

No joke! Attack my baby and you're dead. No further discussion.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:21 am »
Our Maltese-Shih Tzu mix. AKA a Shih-tese

:bigsilly:

Offline Howie66

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:34 am »
the wife had to be looking at her husband AND dog with a  WTH? look.  lotta good either of them did   lol

Ya think??

Obviously that guy was sorely lacking. Probably the same for their dog. OUCH!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 12:45:43 am »

My closest friend's wife is the type of woman that would assist a cat using the litterbox and would dispense medication with eye droppers and pills and creams.  Right till the end.

But one of their five cats kept picking on one of the 'family' to the point of bites and infections and enormous vet bills.

She warned the cat the next time won't be good for him.   He did it again.   Once.

She said she literally picked up the cat and threw it across the room striking the wall.

It's a nice cat now.   And renamed "Chester".

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 03:29:28 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577997/Father-calls-911-help-enraged-cat-attacks-baby-bails-family-including-DOG-bedroom.html

Terrified family call 911 after rampaging 22-pound pet CAT attacks baby then corners whole family - including dog - in bedroom

Lee Palmer, his partner Teresa Barker and their baby son were forced to hide in their Oregon bedroom from Lux, a 22-pound Himalayan cat
    They had retreated there after the fearsome feline had scratched baby Jesse and Palmer kicked the cat's behind - turning it into a sour puss
    Too scared to emerge from the bedroom, Palmer called 911 for help
    Authorities arrived at the home and caught the cat before returning it to his family; they are now debating whether he needs a new home

By Reuters and Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 22:21 EST, 10 March 2014 | UPDATED: 08:09 EST, 11 March 2014
A rampaging, 22-pound Oregon house cat with a 'history of violence' attacked a baby and trapped a family and their dog in a bedroom at their Portland home before being captured by police.

On Sunday, the cat, a black-and-white Himalayan called Lux, scratched seven-month-old Jesse in the face, according to Portland Police Bureau spokesman Sergeant Pete Simpson.

The baby's father, Lee Palmer, kicked the cat in the backside, which sent it into a rage, and Palmer, his partner Teresa Barker and their baby, along with the dog, retreated into a bedroom in fear.

Scroll down for 911 call audio

Like butter wouldn't melt: Lux is a Himalayan with a 'history of violence,' say his owners. They were forced to call 911 on Sunday after Lux attacked their baby and then cornered them in a bedroom

Attack: Teresa Barker, pictured with her baby Jesse, who was starched on the forehead by Lux

Escape: Jesse didn't need medical attention but his parents were concerned Lux would attack again

As they cowered in the room, Palmer called 911 to report his 'very particular emergency'.

'I kicked the cat in the rear, and it has gone over the edge,' he can be heard saying in a recording of the call. 'He's trying to attack us. He's very, very, very, very hostile. He's at our door; he's charging us.'

Meanwhile, the four-year-old cat blocked the bedroom doorway and could be heard on the 911 call screeching loudly, Simpson said.

'When I leave out the bedroom to let the police in, I'm going to have to fight this cat,' Palmer told the dispatcher. 'Tell them to be careful - the police.'

The dispatcher, having never encountered such a situation before, asks her supervisor whether or not police can be sent for an angry cat. The supervisor answers in the affirmative.
'I have kind of an unusal problem.' 911 call over angry CAT!

Tough decision: The family has had Lux for a number of years and are reluctant to part with him

Temper tantrum: The family says Lee Palmer kicked Lux to get him away from their baby Jesse after he had scratched him on the forehead

'He said that the cat has a history of violence,' Simpson said, referring to the father speaking to the 911 operator.

When officers arrived and entered the house, they saw the cat scurry into the kitchen. After it scrambled atop the refrigerator, officers snared it and put it in a travel-style kennel, Simpson said.

'Officers were able to outwit the high-strung Himalayan,' Simpson concluded.

Safely behind bars, the cat was left in the custody of the family, Simpson said. It was not clear what they intend to do with the animal, he said.

'We are debating what to do,' Palmer told the Oregonian on Monday. 'We definitely want to keep (the cat) away from the baby and keep an eye on his behavior.'

On Tuesday, Palmer defended his decision to kick the cat on his Facebook page.

Emergency: Lee Palmer and his girlfriend were too fearful of their cat Lux to emerge from their bedroom

Quiet moment: Teresa Barker posted this picture of herself and Lux on Facebook in happier times

'The cat is very loved that is why he is still here,' he wrote. 'We had the option to let the animal control take him but decided to give him a chance.

'The cat is territorial and can swat randomly and he swatted my son in the face - could have gotten him in the eye. I'm a very caring, hard-working father that cares about my son... I did kick him away from my son - you would too.'

The baby suffered some scratches to the face but was not seriously hurt and Palmer told dispatchers his son was not in need of any medical attention, Simpson said.

While cases of out-of-control dogs are relatively common, Simpson said, he could not recall in his 20 years with the Portland police a similarly ferocious feline.

See below for video

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 03:29:54 am »
911 call at the link