Author Topic: GOP poll shows McConnell up big over Bevin  (Read 7343 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

GOP poll shows McConnell up big over Bevin
« on: March 11, 2014, 05:46:34 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/200318-gop-poll-shows-mcconnell-up-big-over-bevin

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has a nearly 40-point lead over his primary challenger, Matt Bevin, in a new Republican survey of the Kentucky Senate GOP primary.

The survey, conducted by Public Opinion Strategies for the pro-McConnell group Kentuckians for Strong Leadership, gives McConnell 61 percent support to Bevin’s 23 percent support.

That’s an increase in support from an early-February independent survey of the race, which showed McConnell ahead by only 26 points. But it’s actually a decrease from the last GOP survey of the race, conducted by Wenzel Strategies at the start of February, which gave him a 42-point lead.

It’s likely McConnell’s primary lead is somewhere between those two numbers — significant double-digits, still a favorable position just over two months out from Election Day.

The polling memo also notes McConnell maintains a 33-point lead over Bevin even among voters who say they’ve heard of the GOP challenger, an indication that, even if Bevin manages to increase his profile in the state, he’ll find it difficult to break ahead.

McConnell's persistently high unpopularity has given Democrats reason to believe he's one of the GOP's most vulnerable senators this cycle, but the new survey gives McConnell a surprisingly high approval rating among GOP primary voters, with 67 percent approving of his job performance, while just 25 percent view him unfavorably.

Bevin, in contrast, is seen favorably by just 21 percent of primary voters and unfavorably by 15 percent.

McConnell has sparked the ire of conservatives throughout his career but that frustration ran particularly high last month, when he was one of a handful of Republican senators to vote to raise the debt limit.

The fallout from the move was on display last week when McConnell received a lukewarm reception from activists at the Conservative Political Action Conference just outside of Washington, D.C.

But this survey, which was conducted Feb, 24-26, about 10 days after the vote, seems to indicate he still retains some good will with Republicans.

The survey was conducted among 400 likely Republican primary voters and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

McConnell is favored in his primary, and expected to encounter Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes in the general election in Kentucky.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:46:57 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Re: GOP poll shows McConnell up big over Bevin
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:37:11 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/200318-gop-poll-shows-mcconnell-up-big-over-bevin

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has a nearly 40-point lead over his primary challenger, Matt Bevin, in a new Republican survey of the Kentucky Senate GOP primary.

The survey, conducted by Public Opinion Strategies for the pro-McConnell group Kentuckians for Strong Leadership, gives McConnell 61 percent support to Bevin’s 23 percent support.

That’s an increase in support from an early-February independent survey of the race, which showed McConnell ahead by only 26 points. But it’s actually a decrease from the last GOP survey of the race, conducted by Wenzel Strategies at the start of February, which gave him a 42-point lead.

It’s likely McConnell’s primary lead is somewhere between those two numbers — significant double-digits, still a favorable position just over two months out from Election Day.

The polling memo also notes McConnell maintains a 33-point lead over Bevin even among voters who say they’ve heard of the GOP challenger, an indication that, even if Bevin manages to increase his profile in the state, he’ll find it difficult to break ahead.

McConnell's persistently high unpopularity has given Democrats reason to believe he's one of the GOP's most vulnerable senators this cycle, but the new survey gives McConnell a surprisingly high approval rating among GOP primary voters, with 67 percent approving of his job performance, while just 25 percent view him unfavorably.

Bevin, in contrast, is seen favorably by just 21 percent of primary voters and unfavorably by 15 percent.

McConnell has sparked the ire of conservatives throughout his career but that frustration ran particularly high last month, when he was one of a handful of Republican senators to vote to raise the debt limit.

The fallout from the move was on display last week when McConnell received a lukewarm reception from activists at the Conservative Political Action Conference just outside of Washington, D.C.

But this survey, which was conducted Feb, 24-26, about 10 days after the vote, seems to indicate he still retains some good will with Republicans.

The survey was conducted among 400 likely Republican primary voters and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

McConnell is favored in his primary, and expected to encounter Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes in the general election in Kentucky.

"DEWEY WINS!", right?

One can get any poll results that one wants for the right price. I don't put a lot of stock in polls.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:25:52 pm »
"DEWEY WINS!", right?

One can get any poll results that one wants for the right price. I don't put a lot of stock in polls.
Indeed. Keep in mind:
This was a paid poll. McConnell is risking looking like Rick Lazio at this rate. All the polls had him way ahead in his primary, too.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:29:22 pm »
I wonder if a certain person that shall remain nameless, will be along shortly to say these polls don't count because they are wrong.  :silly:
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:22 pm »
Indeed. Keep in mind: This was a paid poll. McConnell is risking looking like Rick Lazio at this rate. All the polls had him way ahead in his primary, too.

If McConnell were doing this well he would not have gone on the CPAC stage with a gun.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:57:33 pm »
"DEWEY WINS!", right?

Hmm. Public Opinion Strategies. POS.

Coincidence? You be the judge.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:59:44 pm »
Hmm. Public Opinion Strategies. POS.

Coincidence? You be the judge.
blij26
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:00:13 pm »
If McConnell were doing this well he would not have gone on the CPAC stage with a gun.

Very good point!  :beer:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:12:55 pm »
Like I said on another thread, I have not seen a single sign supporting Mitch McConnell in my part of the state.  However, I have seen numerous signs saying "Ditch Mitch" and signs supporting Matt Bevin. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Howie66

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:43:17 pm »
Like I said on another thread, I have not seen a single sign supporting Mitch McConnell in my part of the state.  However, I have seen numerous signs saying "Ditch Mitch" and signs supporting Matt Bevin.

Just want to let you know that we're all pulling for Kentucky to DITCH MITCH, down here in TEXAS!

Don't let up for anything!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:29 am »
Just want to let you know that we're all pulling for Kentucky to DITCH MITCH, down here in TEXAS!

Don't let up for anything!

Thanks Howie!  We need all the help we can get - and welcome to TBR!

0005a

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:09:52 am »

How weak/strong would McConnell be against proto-fascist, I mean democrat, Grimes?  That's all that really matters.  I don't particularly approve of Mr. McConnell, but I would certainly prefer him to any democrat, period.

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 12:12:22 am »
Dream the dream conservatives.  Bevin can't win the primary so you get McConnell or Grimes.  Real conservatives choose rat.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:06 am »
Dream the dream conservatives.  Bevin can't win the primary so you get McConnell or Grimes.  Real conservatives choose rat.

What are McConnell's odds against Grimes?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:21:12 am »
How weak/strong would McConnell be against proto-fascist, I mean democrat, Grimes?  That's all that really matters.  I don't particularly approve of Mr. McConnell, but I would certainly prefer him to any democrat, period.

She's pretty weak.  Bill Clinton is supposed to stump for her in the state.  I'm sure she doesn't want Obama anywhere near her because he is HATED here because he is destroying coal jobs.  I expect the DNC to spend a lot of money to help her - they would love to get that senate seat.  Mitch is Kentucky's Robert Byrd - they'll still wheel him out on the floor long after he's dead. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 12:22:40 am »
"DEWEY WINS!", right?

Yeah.  These guys that make their LIVING doing polls are way off, they don't know what they're doing.

McConnell is going to beat Bevin by a huge margin and he'll beat that nutty Grimes too.  He ALWAYS has these near-death experiences and survives them all.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 12:26:12 am »
She's pretty weak.  Bill Clinton is supposed to stump for her in the state.  I'm sure she doesn't want Obama anywhere near her because he is HATED here because he is destroying coal jobs.  I expect the DNC to spend a lot of money to help her - they would love to get that senate seat.  Mitch is Kentucky's Robert Byrd - they'll still wheel him out on the floor long after he's dead. 

As between McConnell and a crypto-fascist, I'll take McConnell.  As between a crypto-fascist and a card-carrying member of the USA Democrat Party, I'll take the crypto-fascist.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 12:28:38 am »

He has a 67% job approval rating.   What do you think?

Grimes is running away from every Democrat position she can, going to gun ranges so she can be photographed with a rifle.

Plus, there's a Republican wave developing, and not a single Republican will lose in a Senate race.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51:18 am »
He has a 67% job approval rating.   What do you think?

Grimes is running away from every Democrat position she can, going to gun ranges so she can be photographed with a rifle.

Plus, there's a Republican wave developing, and not a single Republican will lose in a Senate race.

I don't have the context to think one way or the other, that's why I'm asking.  Past performance is no guarantee of future performance; I'm more interested in current polling and the take on the situation by those more familiar with it.

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 12:59:16 am »
According to http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/senate/#

Latest poll has McConnell up 1 over Grimes.  But McConnell is busy dragging Bevin through the mud now.  In a couple months he'll do the same to Grimes.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 01:09:24 am »
McConnell is 72; Reagan was nearly 70 when he STARTED his 8 year term.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 01:12:52 am »
According to http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/senate/#

Latest poll has McConnell up 1 over Grimes.  But McConnell is busy dragging Bevin through the mud now.  In a couple months he'll do the same to Grimes.

From your lips to God's ear.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 01:19:55 am »

The "real" polls show Mitch losing to her and Bevins defeating her.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 01:20:37 am »
The "real" polls show Mitch losing to her and Bevins defeating her.

what, pray tell, are "'real' polls"?