Author Topic: Rand Paul slams Ted Cruz in op-ed - POLITICO  (Read 1721 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Rand Paul slams Ted Cruz in op-ed - POLITICO
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:06:01 pm »
Rand Paul slams Ted Cruz in op-ed

By BURGESS EVERETT | 3/10/14 11:34 AM EDT

Sen. Rand Paul blasted fellow GOP Sen. Ted Cruz’s frequent references to Ronald Reagan on Monday, deepening the rift between the two potential 2016 presidential candidates.

In an op-ed for Breitbart News, Paul (R-Ky.) took several shots at Cruz for espousing a foreign policy framework in the mold of Reagan. He also criticized Cruz’s frequent bashing of the GOP for nominating insufficiently conservative presidential candidates like Bob Dole, John McCain and Mitt Romney.

“I don’t claim to be the next Ronald Reagan nor do I attempt to disparage fellow Republicans as not being sufficiently Reaganesque,” Paul wrote. “I will remind anyone who thinks we will win elections by trashing previous Republican nominees or holding oneself out as some paragon in the mold of Reagan, that splintering the party is not the route to victory.”

Though Paul never names Cruz in the op-ed, his comments are clearly aimed at the Texas Republican, who is prone to opine about Reagan and offer the former president as an example for today’s GOP to follow.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/rand-paul-slams-ted-cruz-in-op-ed-104481.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Rand Paul slams Ted Cruz in op-ed - POLITICO
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:07:07 pm »
See Rap?

POLITICO....doing what it does best. 

Yesterday's article didn't fool me one bit.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:53 pm »
“I don’t claim to be the next Ronald Reagan nor do I attempt to disparage fellow Republicans as not being sufficiently Reaganesque,” Paul wrote. “I will remind anyone who thinks we will win elections by trashing previous Republican nominees or holding oneself out as some paragon in the mold of Reagan, that splintering the party is not the route to victory.”

This is why Rand Paul beats Ted Cruz in every poll taken among Republican voters.  Cruz's ill-advised slamming of Dole, McCain and Romney at CPAC illustrate that Cruz is all about weeding out anyone who doesn't buy his brand of conservatism and labeling them as "unprincipled." 

Cruz was 8 years old when Reagan ascended to the presidency.  Everything he knows about the Gipper he read in a book.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:14:36 pm »
See Rap?

POLITICO....doing what it does best.

Yesterday's article didn't fool me one bit.   :whistle:

Recycling Breitbart pieces?  :shrug:

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:18:17 pm »
Paul Rand comes across much, much better in his op-ed than Cruz did with his speech.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19:37 pm »

Cruz was 8 years old when Reagan ascended to the presidency.  Everything he knows about the Gipper he read in a book.

Is that a variation of the argument "If you didn't serve, you have no business discussing military matters and/or conversations"?

Cruz is Princeton/Harvard and a Rhodes Scholar.   So what if he read it out of a book?

.....betcha he read Green Eggs and Ham, too!   :beer:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:20:40 pm »
Recycling Breitbart pieces?  :shrug:

No....poking sticks and starting fights.

Saw this coming yesterday.

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:22:49 pm »
Is that a variation of the argument "If you didn't serve, you have no business discussing military matters and/or conversations"?

Cruz is Princeton/Harvard and a Rhodes Scholar.   So what if he read it out of a book?

A big Amen to that

:) :)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:24:58 pm »

No.  But Cruz gives the impression he somehow experienced the Reagan presidency personally.  He didn't.  He tries to assume the Reagan mantle, when a man like Reagan would never have trashed previous GOP nominees as "unprincipled."  He's as far from Ronald Reagan in his demeanor and personal style as he could possibly be.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 11:35:25 pm »
No.  But Cruz gives the impression he somehow experienced the Reagan presidency personally.  He didn't.  He tries to assume the Reagan mantle, when a man like Reagan would never have trashed previous GOP nominees as "unprincipled."  He's as far from Ronald Reagan in his demeanor and personal style as he could possibly be.

Well....I think we need a "bomb thrower".  We need a "lightening rod".  We need a good speaker that can garner attention.

Ted Cruz fits the bill and perhaps can run interference for Rand Paul.

I have no doubt Rand Paul that he'd seriously consider Cruz as his running mate if he gets the party nomination. 

So we'll all be laughing our a$$es off over these disagreements.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:44:05 pm »
Well....I think we need a "bomb thrower".  We need a "lightening rod".  We need a good speaker that can garner attention.

I have no doubt Rand Paul that he'd seriously consider Cruz as his running mate if he gets the party nomination. 

Cruz garners attention all right.  It's not really the kind of attention we need, though.

I don't think Paul even likes Cruz.  They're oil and water, style-wise, and Ted Cruz would never play second fiddle to anybody.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 11:45:38 pm »
Cruz garners attention all right.  It's not really the kind of attention we need, though.

I don't think Paul even likes Cruz.  They're oil and water, style-wise, and Ted Cruz would never play second fiddle to anybody.

Whom do you think would be more sympatico with Paul?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 11:47:38 pm »
Whom do you think would be more sympatico with Paul?

I have no idea.  At this point, I'd say just about anybody.  But Rand Paul is not anywhere near the hawk Cruz is and that would seem to be an insurmountable policy difference.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 11:49:16 pm »
I have no idea.  At this point, I'd say just about anybody.  But Rand Paul is not anywhere near the hawk Cruz is and that would seem to be an insurmountable policy difference.

I'm not arguing pro/con for Cruz, I'm asking an honest question.  Should the president and vice president have identical, similar, complementary, or contrasting styles?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 11:53:00 pm »

Yes, this kind of intramural sparring is to be expected, and of course will rise much higher if both of them go after the nomination.

Voodoo Economics.... anyone??   lol

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58:02 pm »

George Herbert Walker Bush called Reagan's economic policy, "Voodoo Economics" when they were both candidates.

I think you underestimate Ted Cruz.

He's Howard Beal.....pissed off and not taking it anymore.  He just wants to stop the madness. 

Gentle shoulder massage and whispers in the ear don't cut it today.  A punch in the mouth is called for.

But we'll see.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 11:59:42 pm »
Yes, this kind of intramural sparring is to be expected, and of course will rise much higher if both of them go after the nomination.

Voodoo Economics.... anyone??   lol

LOL!   Honestly.  Didn't see your post before I alluded to it.   :beer:

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:50 am »
With all due respect, Paul took the higher road, the one not taken by anyone else.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:16 am »
LOL!   Honestly.  Didn't see your post before I alluded to it.   :beer:

It was the shoe that fit best in this thread!!   :beer:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:57 am »
With all due respect, Paul took the higher road, the one not taken by anyone else.

Good cop/Bad cop........

Cruz blocks and gets 'bruised'...Paul takes advantage of the 'hole' and gets another 1st down. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:01 am »
Good cop/Bad cop........

Cruz blocks and gets 'bruised'...Paul takes advantage of the 'hole' and gets another 1st down.

Surely you're not suggesting that a narcissist like Cruz would do any favors for Rand Paul, especially since both are vying for the White House, are you? 

Rand Paul sat down with Eric Holder last week to discuss how he would work with Holder in giving felons who have done their time the right to vote.

Cruz wouldn't give Eric Holder the time of day.

Ultimately, Paul's way is the only one that works.  Obama could learn how to get things done from Rand Paul.  I'm liking this guy the more I see him work.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 12:18:00 am »
Surely you're not suggesting that a narcissist like Cruz would do any favors for Rand Paul, especially since both are vying for the White House, are you? 

Rand Paul sat down with Eric Holder last week to discuss how he would work with Holder in giving felons who have done their time the right to vote.

Cruz wouldn't give Eric Holder the time of day.

Ultimately, Paul's way is the only one that works.  Obama could learn how to get things done from Rand Paul.  I'm liking this guy the more I see him work.

Yeah....my analogy was a poor one.

Cruz may well be a 'useful idiot'...helping Paul's favorables.

But I firmly believe Ted Cruz is necessary.   Even if to some, he's a necessary evil.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 12:21:35 am »
Senator Rand Paul is looking pretty agile and smart, politically in what will prove to be a very long primary season.

His column is a rebuttal to a speech Cruz gave in a small venue at CPAC, where he talked about his foreign policy ideas. Pretty hawkish, btw. (some goofy stuff about selling LNG to Ukraine)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln