Author Topic: ‘True Detective’ Season Finale Crashes HBO GO, Fans Take to Twitter to Vent  (Read 651 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/09/true-detective-season-finale-crashes-hbo-go-fans-take-to-twitter-to-vent.html

‘True Detective’ Season Finale Crashes HBO GO, Fans Take to Twitter to Vent
The season finale of the potboiler crashed HBO’s streaming content website, sending subscribers into a tizzy.

For Rust Cohle, the existentialist detective played by Matthew McConaughey on HBO’s potboiler True Detective, “time is a flat circle.” But for users of HBO GO Sunday night, it was more like a spinning wheel of death.

At approximately 9 p.m. ET Sunday night, many HBO GO subscribers attempted to log in to the website, which features streaming content from the network, to view the season finale to the addictive series True Detective and—hopefully—discover the identity of “The Yellow King.” Instead, many were left trapped in their own tech version of Carcosa, staring at a seemingly endless loading sign. So, fans of creator Nic Pizzolatto and director Cary Fukunaga’s eight-episode miniseries were robbed of two hours today—one for Daylight Savings Time, the other waiting for their favorite show at the moment to load.

HBO GO sent a message from their official Twitter account urging users to be patient:

HBO GO        ✔ @HBOGO
Follow

Due to overwhelmingly popular demand for #TrueDetective, we've been made aware of an issue affecting some users. Please try again soon.
6:50 PM - 9 Mar 2014

The series has become a bona fide phenomenon, attracting some 10.9 million weekly viewers, so it’s understandable that there would be some tech difficulties on a night like tonight. According to the media research and analysis firm SNL Kagan, HBO has a total of approximately 28.7 million subscribers—though the network doesn’t release these statistics—which means that about 38 percent of overall HBO subscribers consume True Detective.

Due to the outage, many took to Twitter to vent their frustrations (with hilarious results): 

Jake Laperruque @JakeLaperruque
Follow

Worried this is what I'll look like by the time HBOGO loads the True Detective finale
6:31 PM - 9 Mar 2014

Sarah Bailey @sbaileyny
Follow

This looks like the circle going round and round on my @HBOGO screen right now. Need #TrueDetective closure.
6:35 PM - 9 Mar 2014

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline TheMom

While flipping through the channels on weekend, I found & watched the first episode of this show.  I watched the second episode On Demand a week or so later.  Just haven't found the time to view the rest of the episodes ~ maybe on a rainy weekend I'll waste the day watching.

From the two episodes I watched, it is a pretty good show.  McConaughey & Harrelson do some fantastic acting.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.