Author Topic: McDonald’s Sales Hurt by Fourth-Straight U.S. Drop  (Read 2054 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
McDonald’s Sales Hurt by Fourth-Straight U.S. Drop
« on: March 10, 2014, 03:59:24 pm »
McDonald’s Sales Hurt by Fourth-Straight U.S. Drop
by Leslie Patton

McDonald’s Corp. (MCD), the world’s largest restaurant chain, said sales at stores open at least 13 months fell 0.3 percent in February as its U.S. business slumped for the fourth straight month amid harsh weather.

Analysts estimated a 0.1 percent decline, the average of 15 projections from Consensus Metrix. Domestic same-store sales slid 1.4 percent, Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald’s said in a statement today, while analysts anticipated a drop of 0.6 percent in the U.S.

McDonald’s, which has more than 14,200 U.S. locations, has been trying to attract Americans with coffee and breakfast foods. The fast-food industry also is struggling with shaky consumer confidence and a severe winter that McDonald’s says hurt its U.S. sales last month.

“Weather was definitely an impact in the month of February -- that’s going to be a drag on everybody,” Peter Saleh, a New York-based analyst at Telsey Advisory Group, said in an interview. Also, rival fast-food chains are introducing new items, improving stores and drawing U.S. diners away from McDonald’s, he said.

“The other players from Wendy’s to Jack in the Box to Sonic to Burger King have just improved their game a little bit and they’re taking back some share,” he said.

more at:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-10/mcdonald-s-february-sales-drop-as-u-s-slumps.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: McDonald’s Sales Hurt by Fourth-Straight U.S. Drop
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:59:56 pm »
MELT THE CHEESE!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:05:49 pm »
There was an article out about foods you should not eat from fast food. DETAILS on Wendy's chili made from leftover meat sitting for days.

But the article was taken down

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576430/Whatever-dont-chili-Fast-food-workers-reveal-foods-never-order.html

It derived from kids that worked there posting on Redit.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 04:21:01 pm »
I noticed that they have finally lowered the prices on the Mighty Wings.

Used to be $2.99 for three.  Now it's $2.00 for three.

IMHO, everything tastes bland and basically the same.  They used to throw away french fries that sat for over a specified number of minutes under the heat lamps...but based upon some of the fries I've tasted...that ship sailed.

Next time you buy a burger at McDonald's....open up the bun and look at it.   It's completely devoid of moisture and in an emergency, you could tie them to the bottom of your feet while walking on hot sand.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 04:26:25 pm »
Exactly why Mickey D's is losing bidness. There is a place called "Cook-Out" here by the college and their burgers are outstanding, homemade type natural shakes. Also "Five Guys and a Grill," Hwy55, Andy's are all excellent.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 04:31:30 pm »
There was an article out about foods you should not eat from fast food. DETAILS on Wendy's chili made from leftover meat sitting for days.

My personal experience is that such an allegation is absolutely false. I've worked at Wendy's and they have very strict quality controls. The chili was made each morning with meat cooked and properly cooled the day before. It doesn't sit for days. It sits overnight. First thing each morning, cooked and cooled burger patties are boiled in water to draw all the fat out, drained, then the meat is chopped into little pieces no bigger than a dime and added to the spice/liquid base. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:34:32 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:40:17 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576430/Whatever-dont-chili-Fast-food-workers-reveal-foods-never-order.html

It derived from kids that worked there posting on Redit.

those allegations are false; if any of them aren't, then they should have been reported to the local health agency.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:24:01 pm »
The food industry might be helped immensely by refusing advice from nutritionists and tin pot politicians.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online rustynail

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 02:58:51 pm »
Put the tallow back in the fries.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:25:56 pm »
I am hopelessly addicted to their Grilled Chicken Wraps.  Yum.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 03:44:08 pm »
The new hand tossed pizza and traditional bone in chicken parm wings from Pizza Hut are so damned good and they deliver! Pizza Hut has improved. The hand tossed pizza is the best.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 04:20:23 pm »
McDonalsd would have gone bankrupt long ago if everyone bought as much from them as I do.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 04:22:54 pm »
Put the tallow back in the fries.

What is tallow?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 04:26:48 pm »
My personal experience is that such an allegation is absolutely false. I've worked at Wendy's and they have very strict quality controls. The chili was made each morning with meat cooked and properly cooled the day before. It doesn't sit for days. It sits overnight. First thing each morning, cooked and cooled burger patties are boiled in water to draw all the fat out, drained, then the meat is chopped into little pieces no bigger than a dime and added to the spice/liquid base.

I am not in the industry but that entire article struck me as BS as well. Very few things are put together from scratch like what the article implies with the chili. It would come premade-prepackaged that would be dumped in a warmer. They wouldn't pick up scraps and make it from scratch.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 04:29:05 pm »

This must be why that article has disappeared.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »
What is tallow?

Beef dripping. Lovely taste, but the veggies complained about it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 04:38:20 pm »
As someone who eats out far too much, I'm not surprised by McDonald's suffering. They seem to be falling apart on several fronts.

1. Customer service. Almost every time I've gone there recently, it has always been a poor case of service. From not getting service at all in a drive through (waiting five minutes in my lane while the other was getting service)- eventually driving off, to just plain rudeness when I go in.

2. Quality control. Undercooked, overcooked (to an extreme), burgers in pieces (literally break breaking apart from the grease or all the ingredients thrown into the box.)

3. Offerings. The competitors are running rings around them both in the type of offerings and the quality. BK is just far superior in quality and taste. McDonalds tastes like a school lunch.

4. Localism. There is a move to support local businesses. Our local BK, even though it is a chain, has capitalized on this through local sponsorships, branding, and the franchise owner being part of the community. (same with Chick Filet and a couple of other chains). McDonalds has no local community connections. I couldn't even tell you who the local franchise owners are, unlike many other chains in the area.

It seems McDonalds have been focusing on how rapid they can produce a product with little thought to improving quality to keep up with the competition. Their offerings are probably the same as they have been in the past 30 years but they are being surpassed. They are becoming the Dollar Store of food.  They have spent a lot updating their stores, putting in multi-lane drive throughs, and new signage, but nothing to improve why people actually go to a restaurant.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 04:48:14 pm »
Quality control is the biggie.

We have a McDonalds a mile from us and one 5 miles from us. I will drive the extra 4 miles every time - the franchise owner is hot on perfectly cooked food served both fast and friendly. The closer one - I'd not feed the night shift food to my cat.
Drive thru are not a huge thing over here, most people prefer to get out of the car and sit down in the restaurant itself, so there is only ever a single lane, which moves fast and no one I know has complaints about the Charlton one, and no one I know will use the Plumstead one.

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »
Quality control is the biggie.

We have a McDonalds a mile from us and one 5 miles from us. I will drive the extra 4 miles every time - the franchise owner is hot on perfectly cooked food served both fast and friendly. The closer one - I'd not feed the night shift food to my cat.
Drive thru are not a huge thing over here, most people prefer to get out of the car and sit down in the restaurant itself, so there is only ever a single lane, which moves fast and no one I know has complaints about the Charlton one, and no one I know will use the Plumstead one.

I can imagine people in the UK are far pickier about the quality of their chips than we are in the US. At least here, McDonalds fries are soggy and greasy. They used to have a nice crisp exterior but I haven't experienced that in a long time.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 04:52:06 pm »

When is the last time anybody ever actually witnessed a hamburger patty sizzling on a flat grill at McDonald's?

You don't because they're not even cooked there....unless it's in the middle of the night.

They are cooked off-site and all we ever see is somebody with no English skills removing the patties out of a heated drawer with a pair of tongs.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 04:56:23 pm »
I pretty much avoid fast food burgers-except Wendy's.  IIRC, McDonald's meat tastes a LOT better than Burger King's.  I don't know what the hell that stuff is.  :thud:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 04:56:32 pm »
They changed both the oil and the actual chip. Took out the dripping, which added some flavor and let the veg oil they use run hotter without smoking, and they stopped using cut potatoes and started using pressure formed instead. You can't get them crisp in a fryer, no matter how hard you try. They are for oven cooking only, and even then come out a bit sad.

Chips are a serious business over here!  :laugh:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 09:19:42 pm »
They changed both the oil and the actual chip. Took out the dripping, which added some flavor and let the veg oil they use run hotter without smoking, and they stopped using cut potatoes and started using pressure formed instead. You can't get them crisp in a fryer, no matter how hard you try. They are for oven cooking only, and even then come out a bit sad.

Chips are a serious business over here!  :laugh:

Mickey D's or BK are not like when I was little. Five Guys and a Grill puts out burgers like I thought Mickey D's and BK's were way back when.

I also remember going to KFC and getting a humongous bucket of chicken; enough to feed a large family for $5.