Author Topic: Why Rand Paul is winning  (Read 309 times)

Offline sinkspur

Why Rand Paul is winning
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline olde north church

Re: Why Rand Paul is winning
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »
2 things hurt Paul, well 3:
Is he is father.
Is he an isolationist.
SoCon Christian Talibanists don't want people living their lives as they see fit without moral interference.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
2 things hurt Paul, well 3:
Is he is father.
Is he an isolationist.
SoCon Christian Talibanists don't want people living their lives as they see fit without moral interference.

whether for good or ill, I'm not so sure that a whiff of isolationism would do him harm at this point.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
whether for good or ill, I'm not so sure that a whiff of isolationism would do him harm at this point.

I didn't mean "Isolationist".  I meant "Dove", but I didn't want to lose the cheap shot at SoCon Christians. 

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »
I didn't mean "Isolationist".  I meant "Dove", but I didn't want to lose the cheap shot at SoCon Christians. 

He makes some very cogent remarks about Reagan and Reagan's use of, and abstention from using, military force here:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,131996.0.html

I think the better question is whether he would be an isolationist; whether reticence to use US military force would simply become a mirror image of Obama's weak, indecisive foreign actions.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
I think the primary problem with use of the military is opponents who really don't care about casuality or death.  You could flex military might when something was at stake, resources, lives, servitude.  Now, it means nothing.

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »
Rand Paul has greater potential to capture votes not normally available to the GOP, from libertarians, independents, young, minorities, etc. As he has said, expand the GOP.

Cruz has zero potential to capture votes beyond the typical sources, older, whiter, red states, etc. His appeal is limited to people that don't want to expand the GOP even if that means losing.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »
Rand Paul has greater potential to capture votes not normally available to the GOP, from libertarians, independents, young, minorities, etc. As he has said, expand the GOP.

Cruz has zero potential to capture votes beyond the typical sources, older, whiter, red states, etc. His appeal is limited to people that don't want to expand the GOP even if that means losing.

He is becoming more interesting; I was impressed with the op-ed he wrote discussing Reagan and the mistakes people make in trying to analogize themselves to Reagan.  He clearly seemed to "get it" that Reagan had principles, prioritized them, knew what he could compromise and the price for each compromise, and never gave something up without getting its price in return.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »
It's early.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf