Author Topic: GROVER NORQUIST: Here Are The Only 6 Republicans Who Can Win In 2016  (Read 2638 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/grover-norquist-only-6-republicans-203916983.html

GROVER NORQUIST: Here Are The Only 6 Republicans Who Can Win In 2016

Business Insider
By Brett LoGiurato March 8, 2014 3:41 PM

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — Grover Norquist, the influential conservative who serves as president of Americans for Tax Reform, thinks there are only six Republicans who can win the 2016 Republican nomination for president.

His list, which he told Business Insider in an approximately hour-long interview Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.

"There are only six people who can credibly run start-to-finish, and any of them could conceivably win the presidency," Norquist said.

"And the reason is, each of those people could raise the money to run campaign all the way through. Each of those people has some name ID."

Notably, the list leaves out two prominent CPAC speakers — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. Norquist and his group have been highly critical of Cruz in the past, especially in the lead-up to the federal government shutdown last September.

Norquist's list only includes one senator — Paul — because he has made "savvy" political moves and has more of a name recognition with the general public. In general, Norquist thinks governors have a better chance of running a successful campaign.

"With Rubio and Cruz, it's hard for them to raise significant amounts of money," Norquist said.

"And it's hard to make news, in general. You can make a speech. But you can't fire somebody. You can't sign a bill. You can't pass legislation. And by the way, if the Senate does something, Cruz and Rubio both voted for it. So who are you supposed to make president? And by the way, 50 other people voted for it, too!"

Norquist said he did not have a favorite among his six candidates. But he was especially impressed with Walker as a potential candidate. Walker, he said, is still gaining momentum after a "fantastic" 2012, when he became the first and only governor to ever stave off a recall.

"When Scott Walker wins re-election in November, it'll be the third time he's won an election in four years," Norquist said.

In the interview, Norquist also said Republicans have a "better than 50-50 chance" of re-taking control of the U.S. Senate. Republicans have seven prime pick-up opportunities — West Virginia, South Dakota, North Carolina, Louisiana, Montana, Arkansas, and Alaska. They only need to swing six seats to take back the Senate.

"They're all states Republicans win overwhelmingly at the presidential level and at a federal level," he said. "All states where we have or will have a solid candidate, and their candidates are carrying the boat anchor of Obamacare."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: GROVER NORQUIST: Here Are The Only 6 Republicans Who Can Win In 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:47:04 pm »
Yeah Grover! RIGHT!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 02:39:30 pm »
That's a pretty good list.  Rand Paul has been very shrewd in talking about growing the Republican Party;  Cruz is more about kicking people out who aren't pure enough.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »
Grover belongs on Sesame Street.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 03:27:22 pm »
Christie's already alienated too many republicans, and now too many non-aligned voters, to win and Jeb Bush is so thoroughly hobbled by GWB's legacy and issues of dynasty that he'd never win.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:28:44 pm »
That's a pretty good list.  Rand Paul has been very shrewd in talking about growing the Republican Party;  Cruz is more about kicking people out who aren't pure enough.

It is easy to grow the Republican party; just become more like the democrats. And, that is vaguely, though generally, what Paul is proposing in couched language.   However, the bigger the tent becomes, the more the true Conservatives will either stay home or depart.  Moreover, the true Conservatives are the ones who zealously work for the party in the precincts.  If they are not enthused, you have 2012 revisited.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 03:30:07 pm »
It is easy to grow the Republican party; just become more like the democrats. And, that is vaguely, though generally, what Paul is proposing in couched language.   However, the bigger the tent becomes, the more the true Conservatives will either stay home or depart.  Moreover, the true Conservatives are the ones who zealously work for the party in the precincts.  If they are not enthused, you have 2012 revisited.

demographics would disagree with you

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »

I completely disagree with you! The way to GROW the Republican party is to draw a CLEAR distinction between them and the Democrats by clearly stating, and adhering to,  the principles laid out in the Constitution!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 03:56:33 pm »
I completely disagree with you! The way to GROW the Republican party is to draw a CLEAR distinction between them and the Democrats by clearly stating, and adhering to,  the principles laid out in the Constitution!

Therein lies the rub, brother. Seeing politician and principles in the same sentence is jarring and somewhat unbelievable.

Perry, Walker - yep. They walk the walk.

Cruz - yep. But I want him right where he is: kicking the "go along to get along" senators into actually doing things.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 03:59:08 pm »
Therein lies the rub, brother. Seeing politician and principles in the same sentence is jarring and somewhat unbelievable.

Exactly! And it's time to change that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »

I wish that were true.  I am afraid our society has become increasingly addicted to entitlements.  Too many are making a living off of the government tit and their numbers are increasing.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 04:26:31 pm »
demographics would disagree with you

What demographics specifically are you referencing?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 04:35:53 pm »
I like Rick Perry.....the one that isn't under the influence of painkillers that mess with his memory.   :laugh:

I love Rick Walker's accomplishments in Wisconsin.    At this point, my advice to him would be to get a taster. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »
The idea there is a big, untapped pool of very conservative voters to be tapped, if only the ideal true conservative candidate appears on the ballot is a wearisome trip into mythology.

Even if there were, they demand policies and positions which might push away 1 or 2, or more voters, for every one gained.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 05:33:25 pm »
The idea there is a big, untapped pool of very conservative voters to be tapped, if only the ideal true conservative candidate appears on the ballot is a wearisome trip into mythology.

Even if there were, they demand policies and positions which might push away 1 or 2, or more voters, for every one gained.

There are plenty of folks around who would LOVE to have us believe that and are doing their dead level best to sell it but I'm not about to buy it! Not one bit!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 05:38:50 pm »

At this point it simply comes down to numbers (assuming that the GOP takes the tack that you suggest, and I agree with).  Are there still enough breathing, thinking, voting Americas that will respond to this message??  Or has the tide turned??  I don't know the answer to that.  But I do know this, we can't wait any longer -- the numbers are not going to improve over time.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 06:13:37 pm »
At this point it simply comes down to numbers (assuming that the GOP takes the tack that you suggest, and I agree with).  Are there still enough breathing, thinking, voting Americas that will respond to this message??  Or has the tide turned??  I don't know the answer to that.  But I do know this, we can't wait any longer -- the numbers are not going to improve over time.

There are tons of escapees from blue states moving to Texas and on the surface one would think that would lead to Texas turning more blue but it isn't! It is in fact rapidly  turning even more red. I'm convinced that can happen nationally as well if we nominate people who can properly lay out the case for FREEDOM!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 07:10:15 pm »

Perry, Walker - yep. They walk the walk.

Cruz - yep. But I want him right where he is: kicking the "go along to get along" senators into actually doing things.

Perry bothers me in one regard... cronyism... he's strong constitutionally...  frankly I want to see and hear what they all say in debates.. but the RNC seems to be orchestrating things to be in charge of who is allowed to run and debate so at this point I'm not hopeful for 2016 unless we get rid of Reinse.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 07:12:06 pm »
Oh and Grover is married to a Muslim and doing business with the MB...He should be working for Hillary and Huma...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »
His list, which he told Business Insider in an approximately hour-long interview Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.
I could do without Christie and Bush. Otherwise, sounds okay to me.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 10:14:25 pm »
What demographics specifically are you referencing?

so-called "true conservatives" are a shrinking minority.  anyone who pins her/his political future on only their support will be sorely disappointed, and out of a job.  Conversely, the numbers of groups of people that so-called "true conservatives" love to pillory are growing.  Those groups may be aligned with democrats now, but they are composed of thinking individuals and if the GOP were to approach them as such, and not avoid them or pretend that they don't matte, then some of them will start leaving the democrat plantation.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 10:19:26 pm »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/grover-norquist-only-6-republicans-203916983.html

GROVER NORQUIST: Here Are The Only 6 Republicans Who Can Win In 2016

Business Insider
By Brett LoGiurato March 8, 2014 3:41 PM

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — Grover Norquist, the influential conservative who serves as president of Americans for Tax Reform, thinks there are only six Republicans who can win the 2016 Republican nomination for president.

"There are only six people who can credibly run start-to-finish, and any of them could conceivably win the presidency," Norquist said.

"And the reason is, each of those people could raise the money to run campaign all the way through. Each of those people has some name ID."

Notably, the list leaves out two prominent CPAC speakers — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. Norquist and his group have been highly critical of Cruz in the past, especially in the lead-up to the federal government shutdown last September.

Norquist's list only includes one senator — Paul — because he has made "savvy" political moves and has more of a name recognition with the general public. In general, Norquist thinks governors have a better chance of running a successful campaign.

"With Rubio and Cruz, it's hard for them to raise significant amounts of money," Norquist said.

"And it's hard to make news, in general. You can make a speech. But you can't fire somebody. You can't sign a bill. You can't pass legislation. And by the way, if the Senate does something, Cruz and Rubio both voted for it. So who are you supposed to make president? And by the way, 50 other people voted for it, too!"

Norquist said he did not have a favorite among his six candidates. But he was especially impressed with Walker as a potential candidate. Walker, he said, is still gaining momentum after a "fantastic" 2012, when he became the first and only governor to ever stave off a recall.

"When Scott Walker wins re-election in November, it'll be the third time he's won an election in four years," Norquist said.

In the interview, Norquist also said Republicans have a "better than 50-50 chance" of re-taking control of the U.S. Senate. Republicans have seven prime pick-up opportunities — West Virginia, South Dakota, North Carolina, Louisiana, Montana, Arkansas, and Alaska. They only need to swing six seats to take back the Senate.

"They're all states Republicans win overwhelmingly at the presidential level and at a federal level," he said. "All states where we have or will have a solid candidate, and their candidates are carrying the boat anchor of Obamacare."

I wish that Grover Norquist would realize that we don't need his or Karl Rove's advise at all.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 10:21:22 pm »
Oh and Grover is married to a Muslim and doing business with the MB...He should be working for Hillary and Huma...

I have a sneaking suspicion that he and Karl Rove already are in the employ of the Clinton Mafia and have been for quite some time.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 10:47:46 pm »
I have a sneaking suspicion that he and Karl Rove already are in the employ of the Clinton Mafia and have been for quite some time.

Would not surprise me.  We know Democrat Unions are financing the so-called GOP PAC to destroy the Tea Party, we know McCain has taken money from Norquist as well as Soros for a very long time...... we know Rove is now trying to hide some of his PACS in order to encourage donations that are not linked as directly to him.......   I pretty much don't trust many of these people nowadays.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:04 pm »
There are tons of escapees from blue states moving to Texas and on the surface one would think that would lead to Texas turning more blue but it isn't! It is in fact rapidly  turning even more red. I'm convinced that can happen nationally as well if we nominate people who can properly lay out the case for FREEDOM!!

Texas is NOT turning more red.  Have you seen what's happened in Harris and Dallas counties lately?  They are both dominated by Democrats, as is San Antonio.  The large population centers are turning Democrat.  That is a direct result of the refugees from California and the Northeast.  Instead of turning Republican, they drag their liberal propensities with them.

That's why the migration to Texas from the coasts is not necessarily a good thing.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.