Author Topic: Breaking: 6.9 magnitude earthquake shook coast of Northern California  (Read 1450 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 21m

6.9 magnitude #earthquake shook coast of Northern California late Sunday, U.S. Geological Survey says. Epicenter was 50 miles west of Eureka

Tweet only at present.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Breaking: 6.9 magnitude earthquake shook coast of Northern California
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:09:40 am »
Via AP: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/powerful-earthquake-strikes-n-calif-coast

Powerful earthquake strikes off N. Calif. coast
Mar. 10, 2014 1:56 AM EDT

Home » Eureka » Powerful earthquake strikes off N. Calif. coast

EUREKA, Calif. (AP) — Officials say a powerful magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck Sunday night off the coast of Northern California, but there were no early signs of a tsunami.

The U.S. Geological Survey says the temblor struck at 9:18 p.m. PDT about four miles beneath the Pacific seabed and about 50 miles west of Eureka.

The Humboldt County Sheriff's Department, which oversees most of the populated areas near the quake, says there have been no calls about damages or injuries.

USGS seismologist Susan Hoover says more than 300 people have reported feeling the temblor on their website.

Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has issued a statement on the quake, but not a watch or an advisory.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:52:59 pm »
More from Associated Press
... There were no reports of any damages or injuries though the quake was felt widely and strongly, according sheriff’s and fire officials in Humboldt County, which includes most of the populated areas near the epicenter.

The National Tsunami Warning Center said there was no tsunami danger for the region.

More than 1,000 people reported on the USGS website that they felt the quake. Many reported a long, rolling shake that some said woke children or knocked items off shelves. Some of those respondents live across the border in Oregon.

Jana Pursley, a geophysicist with the National Earthquake Information Center, said that based on the area’s tectonics and past temblors, damages or casualties were unlikely. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:08 pm »
Small earthquake recorded | WKBN.com | Youngstown, OH news, weather, sports
http://wkbn.com/2014/03/10/small-earthquake-recorded/

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 05:57:48 pm »
Small earthquake recorded | WKBN.com | Youngstown, OH news, weather, sports
http://wkbn.com/2014/03/10/small-earthquake-recorded/

Yikes.  My hometown is cited in that article.

Not exactly 'typical' to feel an earthquake there!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 06:00:59 pm »
Yikes.  My hometown is cited in that article.

Not exactly 'typical' to feel an earthquake there!

Yeah it is quite freaky. 1 mile south of Lowellville/Youngstown Ohio.The Madrid fault line? Fracking?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:01:21 pm »
Yeah it is quite freaky. 1 mile south of Lowellville/Youngstown Ohio.The Madrid fault line? Fracking?

Don't know.  But I hope it wasn't bad enough to damage my favorite Italian restaurant in the area, which happens to be in Lowellville.   ^-^

(btw.....normally any tremors in Ohio originate in Kentucky).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:02:12 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 12:07:57 pm »
Don't know.  But I hope it wasn't bad enough to damage my favorite Italian restaurant in the area, which happens to be in Lowellville.   ^-^

(btw.....normally any tremors in Ohio originate in Kentucky).

Carchedi's?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 12:16:32 pm »
Carchedi's?

You got it!

Hole in the wall...........GREAT Italian food!  :laugh:

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 01:38:18 pm »
Okay, you have piqued my interest.  Has anyone ever spotted James Traficant in there?   :laugh:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 01:56:13 pm »
Okay, you have piqued my interest.  Has anyone ever spotted James Traficant in there?   :laugh:

Yes, I am sure he ate in there. He lived in Poland, Ohio and his horse farm was there as well. His wife was (could still be?) a beautician in a local Poland/Canfield beauty Salon. The economy/Obamadepression is so awful in this area even the mob has died down but the unions will never go away.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »
The mews media sucks.

Twice here it indicates that the quake happened SUNDAY....."late" Sunday night, and welll

IT'S EFFING SUNDAY MORNING RIGHT NOW!   7:22 AM on the West Coast.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 04:03:10 pm »
The mews media sucks.

Twice here it indicates that the quake happened SUNDAY....."late" Sunday night, and welll

IT'S EFFING SUNDAY MORNING RIGHT NOW!   7:22 AM on the West Coast.

Article is from Monday the 10th.  :whistle:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 04:05:29 pm »

UGH.......sorry!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 04:08:15 pm »

Yeah when this story broke no one paid attention to it because of the James Bond movie going on overseas.

It was my bad, replying late to Musiclady.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 04:09:07 pm »
Yeah when this story broke no one paid attention to it because of the James Bond movie going on overseas.

It was my bad, replying late to Musiclady.

:beer:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »
UGH.......sorry!

Don't be - the number of times we've all done that! Especially before first coffee of the morning!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 08:41:33 pm »

No.................but I swear I saw a ferret scurry by while I was eating there once...................    ^-^

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:23 pm »
Yes, I am sure he ate in there. He lived in Poland, Ohio and his horse farm was there as well. His wife was (could still be?) a beautician in a local Poland/Canfield beauty Salon. The economy/Obamadepression is so awful in this area even the mob has died down but the unions will never go away.

Yes, he lived in Poland, and was an embarrassment to all the good, upstanding people who live there.

SO many people were embarrassed that he 'represented' them in Congress.

Oy, the shame!    **nononono*

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 08:46:11 pm »
No.................but I swear I saw a ferret scurry by while I was eating there once...................    ^-^

Bad hair piece has either truly gone nuts from prison or he does not want the local mobs having his body mysteriously float down that famous body of water off of 422 on the right before Y-Town. His statement after jail was that the bad evil Joos control us.