Author Topic: Bill 'Wild Bill' Guarnere, of 'Band of Brothers' Fame, Dies at 90  (Read 601 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
William "Wild Bill" Guarnere, one of the World War II veterans whose exploits were dramatized in the TV miniseries "Band of Brothers," has died. He was 90.

His son, William Guarnere Jr., confirmed Sunday that his father died at Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. Guarnere was rushed to the hospital early Saturday and died of a ruptured aneurysm early Saturday night.

The younger Guarnere told FoxNews.com that like so many of his generation, "Wild Bill" didn't talk about his service, even though he lost his leg in combat.

"All we knew was he lost his leg, and that was it," William Guarnere Jr. said. "People knew more about (his service) than we did."

The HBO miniseries, based on a book by Stephen Ambrose, followed the members of Easy Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne Division from training in Georgia in 1942 through some of the war's fiercest European battles through the war's end in 1945.

Its producers included Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. Guarnere was portrayed by the actor Frank John Hughes.

Guarnere, whose combat exploits earned him his nickname, lost his leg while trying to help a wounded solider during the Battle of the Bulge. His commendations included the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts.

Although he gained fame following the book and miniseries, Guarnere remained "the same person," his son said.

"His life didn’t really change, other than the fact that he was signing books and posters," he said.

When he returned from the war, Guarnere lived in the row house in South Philadelphia, where he would eventually reside for 60 years. He worked in construction, but was limited by his injury, and helped put together Easy Company reunions.

In 2007, Guarnere helped write a nationally best-selling memoir called, "Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends," with fellow south Philadelphian veteran Edward J. "Babe" Heffron and journalist Robyn Post.

William Guarnere Jr. said his father and Heffron met during the war and remained friends until Heffron died in December.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/09/bill-wild-bill-guarnere-band-brothers-fame-dies-at-0/
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Bill 'Wild Bill' Guarnere, of 'Band of Brothers' Fame, Dies at 90
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:29:46 am »
This leaves Donald G. Malarkey, Edward Tipper, and Edward Shames as the last 3 surviving men of Easy Company who were portrayed in "Band of Brothers."

Only Malarkey has a major role in the series.

A total of 18 men from Easy Company are still alive.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Bill 'Wild Bill' Guarnere, of 'Band of Brothers' Fame, Dies at 90
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:33:12 am »

I have fought when others feared to serve.
I have gone where others failed to go.
I've lost friends in war and strife,
Who valued Duty more than love of life.

I have shared the comradeship of pain.
I have searched the lands for men that we have lost.
I have sons who served this land of liberty,
Who would fight to see that other stricken lands are free.

I have seen the weak forsake humanity.
I have heard the traitors praise our enemy.
I've seen challenged men become even bolder,
I've seen the Duty, Honor, Sacrifice of the Soldier.

Now I understand the meaning of our lives,
The loss of comrades not so very long ago.
So to you who have answered duties siren call,
May God bless you my son, may God bless you all.

Lewis Millett

RIP and Godspeed, Bill.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn