Author Topic: Japanese jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu  (Read 416 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Japanese jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
« on: March 09, 2014, 10:28:38 am »
Via AP: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/japanese-jet-makes-emergency-landing-honolulu

HONOLULU (AP) — A Japan Airlines flight bound for San Francisco carrying more than 170 people made an emergency landing at the Honolulu International Airport.

The airport manager's office says that the jetliner landed without incident around 1 p.m. Saturday.

Airlines spokesman Yang Jian says the Boeing 787 had cockpit indicators showing engine trouble and made the emergency landing in Honolulu.

Jian says none of the 160 passengers and 11 crew members was injured.

He says that the cockpit indicators showed that oil pressure was down with an engine.

Too short to excerpt.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Japanese jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »
I can't be the only one wondering about computer malfunctions of the planes being a planned attack hack?

Dare I ask if it is possible?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Japanese jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »
Not impossible, but it is highly unlikely without physical access to the aircraft. I can only speak about BA (wife works for them) but virtually all programming is done on the plane itself using physical media to upload updates, take copies of the flight and cockpit recorders, and load the relevant maps and data for the automatic pilot. The aircraft systems are simply not accessible from the outside.

There is the telemetry channel, which broadcasts, but that is very limited.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink