Author Topic: Putin mocks the West and threatens to turn off gas supplies  (Read 1084 times)

Offline flowers

Putin mocks the West and threatens to turn off gas supplies
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:04:11 pm »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10684333/Putin-mocks-the-West-and-threatens-to-turn-off-gas-supplies.html

Vladimir Putin has mocked diplomatic efforts to end the Ukraine crisis as Russia threatened to disrupt European gas supplies by cutting off sales to Kiev over its unpaid debts.

The Russian president said through his official spokesman that, despite deep disagreements with the West, he did not want a confrontation over Ukraine to spiral into a “new cold war”.

Nevertheless Dmitry Peskov ridiculed Western demands for direct talks between the Kremlin and the new Kiev government, claiming that the loss of credibility involved “puts a smile on our face”.

The remarks were broadcast during the opening ceremony of the Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, where the Ukrainian athlete carrying her national flag was given a loud cheer.

Earlier, Gazprom, Russia’s state-owned energy giant, said it would start to reduce deliveries to Kiev, a move that would disrupt supplies to Europe. Gazprom said Ukraine had failed to make payments on its £1.2 billion debts.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Putin mocks the West and threatens to turn off gas supplies
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:18:33 pm »
Gazprom said Ukraine had failed to make payments on its £1.2 billion debts.

Let's see if i have this right.  We are giving Ukraine a $1 billion loan guarantee so that Ukraine can pay... PUTIN!  Seriously?

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:21:14 pm »
Gazprom said Ukraine had failed to make payments on its £1.2 billion debts.

Let's see if i have this right.  We are giving Ukraine a $1 billion loan guarantee so that Ukraine can pay... PUTIN!  Seriously?

It's what "flexibility" is all about.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:09:21 pm »
If we were energy independent, we could sell Ukraine the gas they need and they could cut off Russia as their supplier.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:11:02 pm »
If we were energy independent, we could sell Ukraine the gas they need and they could cut off Russia as their supplier.

we have that gas - we have excess - we just have a govt that refuses to let us export it

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 11:11:52 pm »
we have that gas - we have excess - we just have a govt that refuses to let us export it

Right.

And we have lots more untapped that this govt won't let us drill for as well.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 11:14:34 pm »
Right.

And we have lots more untapped that this govt won't let us drill for as well.

was that "right" as in "I agree" or not?  just askin' cause i'm unsure

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:16:57 pm »
was that "right" as in "I agree" or not?  just askin' cause i'm unsure

It was "right" as in, "I agree."   :beer:

We have lots of natural gas AND oil (which we need to drill for, and refine with out the death grip of the EPA).

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:23:13 pm »
Groundhog Day...

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:24:01 pm »

We have lots of natural gas AND oil (which we need to drill for, and refine with out the death grip of the EPA).

:thumbsup:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 12:47:36 am »

A friend in Colorado called me last night and was telling me the administration has really done a whole lot of damage to the Western Range of the Rockies with the EPA stopping everything possible from fracking to coal - which Colorado has LOTS of.........  (remember the Western Range is red)...... anyway, he said Paonia is the little liberal "utopia" on the Western Slope and the hippies living there thought his was a great idea until the people who worked and lost the actual jobs left the area and then grocery stores and other conveniences started closing down and now they are all complaining because they have to drive a long distance to get what used to be available right there in Paonia..........  he said former interior sec Salazar was on a local radio station this week and is starting to regret some of the things he did in Colorado while secretary (I said sounds like he is running for Governor or something - my friend says no).

So..... yes we have a lot of oil and a lot of natural gas and coal and where there is private land we are pulling it out of the ground, but Obama is doing everything possible to stop it.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:13 am »

MediaJuggernaut Feb 28

Old photo of Putin (with camera) while with the KGB and someone who knew how to deal with the Russians.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:34:40 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 04:35:58 am »

MediaJuggernaut Feb 28

Old photo of Putin (with camera) while with the KGB and someone who knew how to deal with the Russians.

how very apropos!