Author Topic: McCain: Cruz 'Crossed Line' by Mocking GOP Presidential Losers  (Read 9926 times)

Offline happyg

By Cathy Burke
day after Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz suggested former GOP presidential candidates Bob Dole, John McCain and Mitt Romney “don’t stand for principle,” McCain shot back Friday, saying the fiery conservative had “crossed a line” and should apologize to war hero Dole.

“He can say what he wants to about me and he can say anything he wants to about Mitt,” the senator from Arizona said on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports.”

“But when he throws Bob Dole in there, I wonder if he thinks that Bob Dole stood for principle on that hilltop in Italy, when he was so gravely wounded and left part of his body there fighting for our country?”

Cruz, in a speech Thursday at the Conservative Political Action Conference, told the crowd the three losing presidential candidates should have stood up for their views.

“All of us remember President Dole, President McCain, and President Romney, “ Cruz said facetiously.

“All of those those are good men, those are decent men — but when you don’t stand and draw a clear distinction, when you don’t stand for principle, Democrats celebrate,” he said.

McCain suggested Cruz took a cheap shot at Dole.

“Bob Dole is such a man of honor and integrity and principle,” he told Mitchell. “I hope that Ted Cruz will apologize to Bob Dole because that’s, that has crossed a line that, to me, is — leaves the realm of politics and discourse that we should have in America.”

“I said [to Cruz] if you want to, you know, say things that are critical of me and Mitt Romney, that’s fine. My beloved Bob Dole, as you know, is not in the best of health, and he doesn’t need that in the twilight of his years.”

Dole was gravely wounded just two weeks before the end of the WWII after taking enemy fire in his right shoulder and back. He lost a kidney, use of his right arm and most of the feeling in his left arm.

The 90-year-old former Kansas lawmaker defended himself after the interview, Politico reports, hammering Cruz for not doing his homework.

“Cruz should check my voting record before making comments,” he said in a statement. “I was one of President Reagan’s strongest supporters, and my record is that of a traditional Republican conservative.”

A spokeswoman for Cruz called McCain’s critique a “distraction,” according to Politico.

“As he noted in his speech, the senator greatly respects these men, particularly the heroic military service of Sens. Dole and McCain,” spokeswoman Catherine Frazier said.

“Suggesting anything otherwise is just an unnecessary distraction. He will not hesitate to talk about substantive matters of conservative principle that are important to bringing Republicans to victory – even if others may disagree.”

Fellow conservative and former Republican Sen. Rick Santorum sided with the defiant Cruz, saying the recent GOP standard-bearers simply weren’t conservative enough.

"How did it work for the Republicans nominating moderate candidates in the last two presidential elections?" Santorum said during his speech Friday at CPAC, the Washington Post reports.

"They put forth candidates who keep apologizing for the principles that they say they believe in, and then they lose."

Santorum came in behind Romney in the 2012 GOP presidential primary, and is a potential candidate in the 2016 run for the White House.

Video at link"
Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ted-cruz-john-mccain-bob-dole-mitt-romney/2014/03/07/id/556778#ixzz2vQeFXXMd

Offline Rapunzel

Re: McCain: Cruz 'Crossed Line' by Mocking GOP Presidential Losers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 02:39:43 am »
Poor ole McCain still smarting over not making the grade to the Oval office........  Frankly Cruz didn't say anything "most" of us here have not said... Dole was pathethic, so was McCain... Romney should have won - but watch the Movie "Mitt" - his heart was not in it....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 02:46:53 am »
This guy can't disappear fast enough.  (Oh, and if we're lucky he'll take his dipshit daughter with him.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:47:36 am by katzenjammer »

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 02:46:53 am »
McCain is just taking another cheap shot at Cruz.  But, maybe you can blame him.  McInsane lacks intellect and comprehension in understanding what Cruz actually said.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 02:51:13 am »
I don't care who said what or whose panties are all in a wad. But I do care where.

the senator from Arizona said on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports.”
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 02:55:36 am »
McCain just can't face the fact that his 'war hero' card is old, and faded, and worn out. You can only play that card so many times, and McCain has made an entire career of playing it.

How dare you criticize Bob Dole! Bob Dole was in the war! (of course, indirectly referring to himself as well, doncha know...)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 02:55:58 am »
Poor ole McCain still smarting over not making the grade to the Oval office........  Frankly Cruz didn't say anything "most" of us here have not said... Dole was pathethic, so was McCain... Romney should have won - but watch the Movie "Mitt" - his heart was not in it....

Ted Cruz is a bombthrower who doesn't care who he maligns as long as it splashes back favorably on him. 

Teddy boy should be careful.  VOTERS picked Dole, and McCain, and Romney.  He's dreaming if he thinks most Republican voters would vote for him for the 2016 nomination. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 02:59:18 am »
McCain just can't face the fact that his 'war hero' card is old, and faded, and worn out. You can only play that card so many times, and McCain has made an entire career of playing it.

How dare you criticize Bob Dole! Bob Dole was in the war! (of course, indirectly referring to himself as well, doncha know...)

And yet we have posters on this board who are advancing General Mattis who doesn't stand in the shadow of war heroes like Dole and McCain.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 03:04:13 am »
Ted Cruz is a bombthrower who doesn't care who he maligns as long as it splashes back favorably on him. 

Teddy boy should be careful.  VOTERS picked Dole, and McCain, and Romney.  He's dreaming if he thinks most Republican voters would vote for him for the 2016 nomination.

VOTERS picked Clinton and Obama over Dole, McCain and Romney.  And, Cruz doesn't need the vote of most Republican voters to win the nomination.  He only needs to win a majority of votes in several of the state primaries.  Cruz will have enough money to bury his competition.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 03:08:12 am »
And yet we have posters on this board who are advancing General Mattis who doesn't stand in the shadow of war heroes like Dole and McCain.

Stop twisting this. Cruz was saying these men were RINO's period. McCain (if he did say this) is twisting it like you are. Cruz said nothing about their service to their country. This is not about comparing these military men.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 03:09:52 am »
Stop twisting this. Cruz was saying these men were RINO's period. McCain (if he did say this) is twisting it like you are. Cruz said nothing about their service to their country. This is not about comparing these military men.

McCain feels the clock ticking and is flailing as a result.  I also think he is growing senile or has grown senile - his angry outbursts are typical of some cases of senility.   If we can get rid of Light Lindsay then perhaps McCain will retire in 2016, however won't hold my breath as he has no life other than his job as senator.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:10:37 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 03:15:27 am »

So what? I get it already. They were in the war. I get it. So was I. So were 10s of thousands of people in America today. So what?

That doesn't give you some kind of 'get out of jail free' card whenever you do something stupid, which is the way McCain plays it. Go talk to some of the disabled veterans and ask them what they think of McCain and his 'war hero' status.

Anyone can crash a jet and get caught. That is not exactly a 'Medal of Honor' military record.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 03:20:24 am »
Cruz was not attacking them personally but, rather, he was trying to make the point (in front of a CPAC audience) that their brand failed.  What he did say about them was that they were "good and honorable men".  However, I found it unseemly nonetheless in that he needlessly called them out by name.  Cruz is smart but limited on instinct.  Overall, I am less than impressed.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 03:21:22 am »
Cruz owes Dole a personal apology, because Dole felt he was insulted.

Cruz made a mistake. It will be the measure of him, if he owns up and takes appropriate steps.

Cruz "service" as a government paid politician all his career, comes nowhere the level of Dole's military service.

Do NOT insult vets, and expect to hold my respect.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 03:23:48 am »
VOTERS picked Clinton and Obama over Dole, McCain and Romney.  And, Cruz doesn't need the vote of most Republican voters to win the nomination.  He only needs to win a majority of votes in several of the state primaries.  Cruz will have enough money to bury his competition.

If Cruz is the Republican nominee in 2016, he will be lucky to win ten states.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 03:24:35 am »

Cruz made a mistake. It will be the measure of him, if he owns up and takes appropriate steps.

Cruz "service" as a government paid politician all his career, comes nowhere the level of Dole's military service.

Agreed, he needlessly made it personal even with his qualifiers.  To war vets no less.  Horrible instinct... regardless of the crowd. 
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 03:25:46 am »

So what? I get it already. They were in the war. I get it. So was I. So were 10s of thousands of people in America today. So what?

That doesn't give you some kind of 'get out of jail free' card whenever you do something stupid, which is the way McCain plays it. Go talk to some of the disabled veterans and ask them what they think of McCain and his 'war hero' status.

Anyone can crash a jet and get caught. That is not exactly a 'Medal of Honor' military record.

McCain never single-handedly shutdown the federal government.  That's Cruz's claim to fame and one reason he's got a helluva hill to climb if he ever wants to be the GOP nominee.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 03:27:31 am »
Agreed, he needlessly made it personal even with his qualifiers.  To war vets no less.  Horrible instinct... regardless of the crowd.

He contrasted Dole, McCain and Romney to himself, by implication. 

What has Ted Cruz done in his 42 years beside shutdown the federal government? 

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 03:29:02 am »
If Cruz is the Republican nominee in 2016, he will be lucky to win ten states.

That's probably more than what he needs.  Win enough of the first few primaries and it is over.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 03:30:15 am »
I will move on.
John Steinbeck

Offline happyg

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 03:31:06 am »
Cruz's exact quote:
He joked about would-be presidents Bob Dole, John McCain and Mitt Romney — and said the reason they didn’t win the White House is because they didn’t draw a clear enough contrast between themselves and the Democrats they ran against.

“Those are good men, those are decent men — but when you don’t stand and draw a clear distinction, when you don’t stand for principle, Democrats celebrate,” he said.

Those principles, he said, include defending the Constitution, abolishing the IRS, expanding school choice, establishing term limits and combating “lawlessness” and corruption in the government.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/ted-cruz-cpac-2014-104345.html#ixzz2vQtAfBQv

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 03:32:26 am »

LOL!  Cruz never insulted any of those losers in their role as veterans.  He rightly criticized them as politicians, for not standing up for Conservative principles.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 03:36:26 am »
That's probably more than what he needs.  Win enough of the first few primaries and it is over.

No, I mean as the nominee he will be lucky to win ten states in the General Election.  And not a single one of those states will be above the Mason-Dixon Line.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 03:37:01 am »
McCain never single-handedly shutdown the federal government.  That's Cruz's claim to fame and one reason he's got a helluva hill to climb if he ever wants to be the GOP nominee.

Neither did Ted Cruz.  Obama singlehandedly shut down the government.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 03:37:36 am »
LOL!  Cruz never insulted any of those losers in their role as veterans.  He rightly criticized them as politicians, for not standing up for Conservative principles.

He shouldn't have.  His shotgun mouth got ahead of his BB gun ass, as it does quite frequently.