Author Topic: Viguerie Announces CPAC Presidential Straw Poll Results  (Read 2037 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Viguerie Announces CPAC Presidential Straw Poll Results
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:29:31 am »
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/prnewswire/press_releases/Maryland/2014/03/07/DC79150

Viguerie Announces CPAC Presidential Straw Poll Results

PR Newswire

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md., March 7, 2014

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md., March 7, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- CPAC attendees are rejecting the Republican establishment and its brand of Big Government "me-too-ism" in favor of candidates who are authentic representatives of the grassroots conservative base of the Party.

Richard A. Viguerie, Chairman of ConservativeHQ.com today announced the frontrunners in the presidential straw poll he is conducting at this year's Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC).

Senator Rand Paul topped the ballot on the first day at 29 percent. Senator Ted Cruz was running second at 17 percent.

Rounding out the top five were Ben Carson at 10%, Marco Rubio at 10%, and Chris Christie at 10%.

"The fact that the top votegetters in this year's CPAC straw poll are young limited government constitutional conservatives bodes well for Republican chances in 2016," said Viguerie.  "The common trait among the top votegetters in our straw poll is that they are all "boat-rockers" of a limited government constitutional conservative bent – the establishment Republicans contenders are all at the bottom of the list."

"In my view, voters are rejecting the Republican establishment and its brand of Big Government "me-too-ism" in favor of candidates who are authentic representatives of the grassroots conservative base of the Party, and it is that authenticity that put Rand Paul and Ted Cruz at the top of the straw poll."

Following are the complete first day results of the ConservativeHQ.com CPAC poll:

Rand Paul (29%)
Ted Cruz (17%)
Ben Carson (10%)
Marco Rubio (10%)
Chris Christie (10%)
Scott Walker (7%)
Paul Ryan (2%)
Jeb Bush (2%)
Rick Santorum (2%)
Mike Pence (1%)

Note: Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindal did not receive enough votes to remain on the leader board.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty interesting. Not really a big surprise. I believe Rand Paul has the potential, and policy positions, to gain the broadest range of supporters. Although there is the normal and predictable chorus of those who boast they wouldn't vote for him. They are narrow but loud.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

Re: Viguerie Announces CPAC Presidential Straw Poll Results
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 12:35:02 am »
i wonder how many heads are popping over that 10% for rubio

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:37:09 am »
Rand Paul (29%)
Ted Cruz (17%)

Looks good to me....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 12:49:26 am »
Looks good to me....

Me, too.......... 

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 12:51:41 am »
i wonder how many heads are popping over that 10% for rubio

He came in second last year.  This was a huge drop for him and he can only blame himself....... get in bed with dogs you get fleas.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 12:52:18 am »
2013 results for comparison

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) won the Conservative Political Action Conference straw poll on Saturday, marking an early indicator of conservative support ahead of the next presidential election in 2016.

Paul topped the list and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) came in second, according to Ian Bishop.

Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) came in third place this year, with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie -- who was notably not invited to this year's conference -- coming in fourth.

Paul received 25 percent of the vote, with Rubio in a close second with 23 percent. Santorum received eight percent, and Christie took seven percent of the vote.

The Hill's Alexandra Jaffe reports 2,930 registrants participated in the straw poll this year.

The annual straw poll came at the conclusion of the high-profile conference, which featured dozens of notable conservative speakers over three days at National Harbor near Washington, D.C.

Last year, Mitt Romney came out on top in the CPAC poll, foreshadowing his eventual nomination as Republican presidential candidate.

Former Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), a Libertarian favorite, took home the title in 2010 and 2011.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 03:20:41 am »
I could vote for Rand Paul.

And if he wins re-election this year, Wisconsin governor Scott Walker should be the de facto pick for vice president, at the very least.

Heck, I would rather vote for Walker for president than any of the rest.
The rest of the pack talks the talk.
Governor Walker has walked the walk.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:27 am »

And if he wins re-election this year, Wisconsin governor Scott Walker should be the de facto pick for vice president, at the very least.

The Democrats in WI are desperate to destroy Walker.......... just read the thread I put up in the news section last night about the John Doe investigation........ disgusting.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 03:38:07 am »

The media has declared Walker as not qualified because he did not go to college. Maybe we need to make history with the first non ivey league/lawyer POTUS with the first female VP.  I will never forget the day Palin was announced on stage as VP, you know their heads were spinning and they spit at the TV.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 03:49:42 am »

Ditto.  I did not like his father at all but I could easily get behind Rand. He has enough libertarian spirit with rationality on important issues, less baggage, and actual accomplishments.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 03:51:22 am »
Ditto.  I did not like his father at all but I could easily get behind Rand. He has enough libertarian spirit with rationality on important issues, less baggage, and actual accomplishments.

I think the country as a whole is becoming more libertarian and that bodes well for Rand Paul...... I say that as Rick Santorum is this very minute telling Sean he is probably going to run again  :2barf: :2barf: :2barf: :2barf:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 03:54:42 am »
My concern at this point is that Paul and Cruz end up splitting the Tea Party vote and we end up with Christie or Bush.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 03:56:37 am »
My concern at this point is that Paul and Cruz end up splitting the Tea Party vote and we end up with Christie or Bush.

I have the same fear and with Santorum now saying he is leaning to getting in and Huckabee evidentally planning to run again as well....... once again we're screwed.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 03:59:47 am »

Legit concern.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 04:06:38 am »
He came in second last year.  This was a huge drop for him and he can only blame himself....... get in bed with dogs you get fleas.

I thought he'd been banished to the Ninth ring of Hell by all right-thinking conservatives.  To see him still getting 10% - at a conservative political meeting no less - is really just too much (to make an obscure reference to the J. Geils Band), isn't it?

The wonder isn't that his ranking dropped him from second to a three-way tie for third (which really isn't that much of a drop, btw), the wonder is that he even shows up on this list at all, going by all the gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, and rending of clothes that went on in conservative circles over his positions on things.  One would have thought that he'd have ranked below Sarah Palin, for crying out loud, but she didn't even make the cut.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:09:19 am by Oceander »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 04:16:08 am »
~LOL~ or is it snicker? 

He still dropped 13 points, not insignificant by any means.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 04:18:07 am »
~LOL~ or is it snicker? 

He still dropped 13 points, not insignificant by any means.

Thanks for the personal attack.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 04:20:43 am »
Thanks for the personal attack.

Nothing personal about it... unless you are telling me every time you post "snicker" on a thread you actually mean it as a personal attack? I guess I'll have to take them as such then, haven't until now.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 09:21:50 am »
2013 results for comparison

Last year, Mitt Romney came out on top in the CPAC poll, foreshadowing his eventual nomination as Republican presidential candidate.

That was in 2012

In 2010 Rand's father Ron Paul won the CPAC straw poll with 31%.  Romney got second  with 22%  Romney won the CPAC polls in 2009, 2008, and 2007 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:26:24 am by Once-Ler »