Author Topic: Atheists attack World Trade Center cross, claim it causes mental pain  (Read 1905 times)

rangerrebew

Atheists attack World Trade Center cross, claim it causes ‘mental pain’

Posted By Sam Scorzo On 3:51 PM 03/06/2014 In | No Comments

The activist group American Atheists is figthing to eliminate a historical symbol of faith for the majority of Americans. American Atheists will argue on Thursday to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals to have a steel beam cross that was found in the wreckage of the World Trade Center removed from the 9/11 museum that is set to open in May 2014.

The group filed the lawsuit in July 2011, stating that the cross made their plaintiffs suffer “inter alia, dyspepsia, symptoms of depression, headaches, anxiety, and mental pain and anguish.”

However, federal judge Deborah Batts ruled that the cross could remain displayed, seeing as it helped “demonstrate how those at Ground Zero coped with the devastation they witnessed.”

President and CEO of the museum Joseph Daniel claims that regardless of religion, the cross played a part in the day and must be displayed to accurately commemorate the tragedy in the museum.

“To have a piece of the history that provided some spirituality, some faith, some respite in the midst of all this, if we didn’t have that we really wouldn’t be telling the story as it happened,” Daniel said.

The man credited with finding the cross, construction worker Frank Silecchia, agrees with this testament and said that the cross rallied first responders.

“I was already working 12 hours. I was quite weary and the cross comforted me,” Silecchia said on the TODAY show. “I never stood here before any media and said it’s about religion, but I say it’s about faith — the faith that was crushed on 9/11.”

However, American Atheists  president David Silverman seems intent on denying the cross any historical significance.

Silverman claimed that the cross is “neither artifact nor art — it is a Christian shrine, made to service Christians and place Christianity above others at the memorial.”

The activist also explained to the TODAY show that “if you take the religion away from the cross, you’ve got scrap metal.”

Apparently atheists are bothered by scrap metal too then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/06/atheists-attack-world-trade-center-cross-claim-it-causes-mental-pain/

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Atheists attack World Trade Center cross, claim it causes mental pain
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:50 pm »
Causes them 'mental pain" to the point where they take it to court? I will venture a guess that they are anti-Christian not atheists.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:17 pm »
Nooooooooo, not dyspepsia!
Oh, the humanity!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:58:41 am »
Somebody just ought to quite publicly tell these people to hell, which is where they're probably goin' anyway...

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:54 am »
Their mental illness preceded the cross.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:30 am »
Poor babies.

If they're in such pain, perhaps they ought to seek assistance from the Red Cross.

Ouch.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:36 pm »
Rage Against God
By Charles Chandler   •   February 28, 2014
Decision Magazine

The Ten Commandments, which were guiding principles for many of the Founding Fathers who framed the U.S. Constitution, are now being labeled unconstitutional by a leading atheism advocacy organization. That rather bizarre claim in an Oklahoma City lawsuit exemplifies the growing ferocity of attacks by atheist groups and individuals across the country against public expressions of Christianity, especially in government and community settings.

Just as prayer was removed from public schools in the early 1960s on the basis of the separation of church and state, another landmark case is before the Supreme Court that threatens to outlaw prayer before government and civic meetings.

All over the nation, dozens of lawsuits and legal threats have aimed at removing crosses and Bibles from public places. A high school football coach in North Carolina was forced to stop praying with and baptizing some of his players, even though the activity occurred primarily at church.

Atheist groups are also vigorously trying to strip churches and pastors of tax exemptions.

And in one of the most visually prominent examples to date, an organization called American Atheists erected a billboard in New York City’s Times Square during the 2013 Christmas season that posed the question, “Who needs Christ during Christmas?” The name of Christ was crossed through, and the question was answered: “Nobody.”

Internationally noted Christian journalist and author David Aikman said there’s been a steady acceleration of anti-Christian activity by atheist groups over the past five years and that believers must rise up to stop the momentum.

“It’s a constant threat,” said Aikman, author of The Delusion of Disbelief: Why the New Atheism Is a Threat to Your Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness. “Christians have got to defend themselves against these proposed restrictions on First Amendment principles.”

The First Amendment right of freedom of religion is front and center in the Oklahoma City lawsuit filed by American Atheists in an attempt to have a Ten Commandments monument removed from the grounds of the state capitol.

The monument is deemed religiously offensive by the plaintiffs, who charge that most of the commandments—except those prohibiting crimes such as murder and stealing—would be unconstitutional if they were part of Oklahoma law.

For example, the lawsuit says the prohibition against taking the Lord’s name in vain is a violation of free speech, the command to remember the Sabbath is an “invasion of the mind,” and the order against coveting creates a “thought crime.”

U.S. Congressman Jim Bridenstine (R-Okla.), a devout evangelical, sharply criticized those legal claims being made in his home state.

“The question of the constitutionality of the Ten Commandments is ludicrous,” he told Decision. “People who believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob try to adhere to the Commandments. … No one is trying to make them the law of the state of Oklahoma.

“The monument on the state capitol grounds is an artistic expression that reminds people of the Judeo-Christian heritage of the state and the nation and of the moral underpinnings of our civil government.”

But tradition rooted in religion, regardless of its merits, is under siege in these attacks.

In Starke, Fla., a group of atheists unveiled a monument last June near the Ten Commandments on the grounds of the Bradford County Courthouse. It included the following inscription: “The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”

Even a small amount of research exposes that as revisionist history.

“It’s a flat-out lie,” said Aikman. “To make a ridiculous statement about America’s foundations having nothing to do with Christianity is a form of dishonesty that is quite breathtaking.”

Perhaps nowhere is the battle more intense than in the current Supreme Court case Greece v. Galloway, in which Americans United for Separation of Church and State sued the town of Greece, N.Y., on behalf of an atheist, Linda Stephens, and a Jewish woman, Susan Galloway. The women claim that the Greece town board’s regular practice of prayer—usually Christian—before its meetings is unconstitutional.

The Supreme Court heard oral arguments in the case last November and is expected to render a decision by June. It’s the first such case about public prayer in three decades.

Stephens is using the national platform to try to rally atheists into action.

“One thing I would say to my fellow atheists is we need to come out of the closet,” she told reporters last November. “There are many, many of us and we have to follow the lead of the LGBT community, and we have to make our voices heard.”

Aikman said it’s clear that atheist groups are trying to capitalize on the legal successes of the gay rights movement. ...
Rest of article

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »
fascism is popping up everywhere to the left of center.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 03:49:58 pm »
How could this

cause mental pain?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »
Causes them 'mental pain" to the point where they take it to court? I will venture a guess that they are anti-Christian not atheists.

I think you are right, but they are cowards, plus they are insecure about their atheism... Very insecure..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 04:08:50 pm »

I would agree with your guess, 100%.

I think that it's about time for these nitwits to start getting some serious blow-back.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 04:29:24 pm »
Poor babies.

If they're in such pain, perhaps they ought to seek assistance from the Red Cross.

Ouch.

Perhaps they are more interested in the Red Crescent.

Offline Olivia

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 05:03:32 pm »
Why do they care if I have a God that I worship and they don't? 
I fail to see how a metal cross could cause them such anguish.  Why not just ignore it and move on?  I don't get it! 
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline happyg

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 05:12:10 pm »
I fail to see how a metal cross could cause them such anguish.  Why not just ignore it and move on?  I don't get it!

Atheists are fighting Christianity, and the cross is merely a token to them to deny to Christians. Christians get in the way of their politics, namely communism, because they make it more difficult for them to succeed. The choices are, do we bow down to government, or do we stand by our Lord, Jesus Christ?  Since Christians prefer the latter, we are considered stumbling blocks.

Offline Olivia

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »
Atheists are fighting Christianity, and the cross is merely a token to them to deny to Christians. Christians get in the way of their politics, namely communism, because they make it more difficult for them to succeed. The choices are, do we bow down to government, or do we stand by our Lord, Jesus Christ?  Since Christians prefer the latter, we are considered stumbling blocks.

Good explanation! 
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 05:36:03 pm »

Yes, and that is the same reason that they are championing "gay rights."  It isn't because they have any real affinity or concern about them, they are just another useful "tool" to attack Christianity.  Look across the border to Canada (pastors being arrested for teaching Biblical truth that "offends") to see where they are headed here.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 07:00:11 pm »
In addition to what's been said, I'd suggest for all their alleged devotion to science, they're supremely irrational.