Author Topic: Issa apologizes to Cummings  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Issa apologizes to Cummings
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:12:30 pm »

BY AARON BLAKE
March 6 at 10:31 pm

House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) apologized Thursday to his committee's ranking Democratic member for cutting off his microphone at the end of a hearing Wednesday, according to a local report.

Issa told the San Diego Union-Tribune that he personally apologized to Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.). His apology comes after the House earlier Thursday voted down a motion to censure the chairman for his treatment of Cummings.

Issa ended a hearing on the IRS scandal Wednesday despite Cummings's attempt to make a statement and ask a question. When Cummings persisted in his effort to speak, Issa personally cut off his microphone. Cummings wound up yelling so that he could be heard, saying, "I am a member of the Congress of the United States of America. I am tired of this."

Issa admitted fault Thursday, after the Congressional Black Caucus, of which Cummings is a member, called for his removal as chairman of his committee.

"I could have offered to reopen the hearing and allowed him to make a second statement,” Issa told the Union-Tribune. “As chairman, I should have been much more sensitive to the mood of what was going on, and I take responsibility."

Appearing on CNN on Thursday night, Cummings said Issa's behavior was unacceptable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/03/06/issa-apologizes-to-cummings/

Now what was the subject of the hearing again?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline MBB1984

Re: Issa apologizes to Cummings
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:43:32 pm »
Huge mistake.  The left connects apologies with weakness.  Cummings was grandstanding and being obstructive to the investigation of the IRS.  With Issa's apology, Cummings theatrical antics prove hugely successful though anti-Constitutional.  And, the IRS' political vendetta goes on unhindered.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:50:11 pm »
Issa was taking a beating in the media. Issa cherishes celebrity and media attention. I would guess that negative media attention deeply hurts Issa.

Issa has proven to be weak, and self serving.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »
Huge mistake.  The left connects apologies with weakness.  Cummings was grandstanding and being obstructive to the investigation of the IRS.  With Issa's apology, Cummings theatrical antics prove hugely successful though anti-Constitutional.  And, the IRS' political vendetta goes on unhindered.

Yes.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »
They can't call Issa a racist now because he apologized. Anyone with half-a-bran can clearly see Cummings did not have a procedural question, he was playing lawyer and grandstanding for Lois Lerner, that is why she stayed with the nasty smug look on her face. Cummings was indeed in the wrong. He finally blurred out an idea -or something- after his hissy fit asking to basically do this in private. Which like it, or not is going against that the committee just adjourned a witness pleading the fifth. Cummings slipped in his idea to scape-goat his grand-standing partisan politics. If he really had an idea he could have spoken with Issa before or after the public hearing. He was reading a speech probably written by his master Obama.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:53:35 pm »
Issa was taking a beating in the media. Issa cherishes celebrity and media attention. I would guess that negative media attention deeply hurts Issa.

Issa has proven to be weak, and self serving.

And Yes.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:59:16 pm »
The GOP-e seems very quick to apologize to the congressional black caucus, and therein lies the problem.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 03:22:06 pm »
Cummings says Issa apologized and he accepts - Yahoo News

WASHINGTON (AP) — Rep. Elijah Cummings said Thursday night that California Republican Rep. Darrell Issa called him and apologized for refusing to let Cummings speak during an IRS hearing. The Maryland Democrat said he accepted the apology.

Issa abruptly adjourned a hearing of the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday. He instructed committee staff to turn off the microphone of the committee's top Democrat, Cummings.

The hearing was on the improper targeting of tea party groups by the Internal Revenue Service. Cummings was trying to say that Republicans have overblown the controversy.

"This evening, Chairman Issa telephoned me and apologized for his conduct, and I accepted his apology," Cummings said in a statement. "My sincere hope is that as we move forward, we will respect the opinions of all members of the committee, we will proceed in a deliberate and considered manner to obtain the facts, we will refrain from making accusations that have no basis in fact, and we will seek resolution rather than unnecessary conflict."

Aides to Issa did not immediately respond to an email sent late Thursday night seeking comment.

House Republicans had blocked an attempt by Democrats to chastise Issa for his conduct at the committee hearing. Ohio Democrat Marcia Fudge offered a resolution condemning Issa for his "offensive and disrespectful manner."

But the House voted 211-186 to block the resolution.

http://news.yahoo.com/cummings-says-issa-apologized-accepts-035202677--politics.html

Marsha Fudge was on the list of commies I posted in the Progressive communist thread.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:24:40 pm by Gazoo »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 04:41:01 pm »
Cummings hissy fit was shut down even though the pubs are PC cowards.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25:36 pm »
The GOP-e seems very quick to apologize to the congressional black caucus, and therein lies the problem.
Agreed. Why are we apologizing to racists?  I've missed something somewhere.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 09:21:04 pm »

Yep...

Megyn Kelly was grilling him last night about this.. Issa stated the hearing was a "continuation" of a prior hearing and in the prior hearing Cummings had plenty of time to speak his piece... that when she invoked the 5th again there was no reason for the hearing and he gavelled it out... he said Cummings was grandstanding on purpose..... 

Frankly I am sick of the cowards in the GOPe
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 09:45:30 pm »
Yep...

Megyn Kelly was grilling him last night about this.. Issa stated the hearing was a "continuation" of a prior hearing and in the prior hearing Cummings had plenty of time to speak his piece... that when she invoked the 5th again there was no reason for the hearing and he gavelled it out... he said Cummings was grandstanding on purpose..... 

Frankly I am sick of the cowards in the GOPe

I saw that too.  Personally, I didn't like her tone and facial expressions....  what was she doing there?  earning some "fair and balanced" creds??

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 09:50:23 pm »
I saw that too.  Personally, I didn't like her tone and facial expressions....  what was she doing there?  earning some "fair and balanced" creds??

Not sure, but it was clear she didn't want to hear what Issa told her
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 12:40:12 am »
idiot

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 01:07:20 am »
Not sure, but it was clear she didn't want to hear what Issa told her

It is a mixed bag with her, at times she is fine, even wonderful.  But other times she comes off as nothing but an establishment shill.  I thought that she was horrible on election night 2012.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 01:09:19 am »
It is a mixed bag with her, at times she is fine, even wonderful.  But other times she comes off as nothing but an establishment shill. I thought that she was horrible on election night 2012.

Me, too.. it's one thing that drove me over to The Blaze

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 01:12:08 am »
Me, too.. it's one thing that drove me over to The Blaze

Yes!!  I didn't want FNC at all for several weeks after that!!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 01:20:39 am »
Issa should have told Cummings to take a long walk off a short pier and refused to say another word.

At the next hearings, watch Cummings cause all kinds of trouble because now no one can stop him.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 01:26:48 am »
Issa should have told Cummings to take a long walk off a short pier and refused to say another word.

At the next hearings, watch Cummings cause all kinds of trouble because now no one can stop him.

Cummings was placed in the seat to do what he is doing... cause trouble.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 01:38:51 am »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 03:03:38 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhvK9CkjL9g

:smokin:

A smidgen of good news. The fugly pig face from hell, Waxman retired. The entire communist progressive caucus needs to retire straight to hell.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 08:17:17 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien