Author Topic: SAT Will Return to 1600-Point Scale, Drop Essay Requirement  (Read 654 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
SAT Will Return to 1600-Point Scale, Drop Essay Requirement
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: SAT Will Return to 1600-Point Scale, Drop Essay Requirement
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
In other words kids coming out of high school can't write so drop the requirement.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:49:10 PM »
In other words kids coming out of high school can't write so drop the requirement.
Not so fast. The writing requirement came out only a few years ago. It wasn't around yet when I took the SAT not that long ago.

It appears more of a failed experiment than anything.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:09:35 PM »
Not so fast. The writing requirement came out only a few years ago. It wasn't around yet when I took the SAT not that long ago.

It appears more of a failed experiment than anything.

undoubtedly; trying to write an essay under time pressure is a sure way to get something that reflects little on the student's ability to write.

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »
undoubtedly; trying to write an essay under time pressure is a sure way to get something that reflects little on the student's ability to write.
No essay during the 1960s that I recall.

Testing by the US military measures all kinds of aptitudes, with high accuracy. Without essay questions.

I'm sure the SAT and ACT to as well. All this changing is mostly political correctness trying to account for lower test scores from ethnic groups, and their desire that what is so, not be so. ie. lower IQs.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
No essay during the 1960s that I recall.

Testing by the US military measures all kinds of aptitudes, with high accuracy. Without essay questions.

I'm sure the SAT and ACT to as well. All this changing is mostly political correctness trying to account for lower test scores from ethnic groups, and their desire that what is so, not be so. ie. lower IQs.

There wasn't any essay when I took it in the 1980s either.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »
Essay questions have a value. They showcase the ability of a student to arrange their thoughts logically and provide evidence to back up any assertions they make.

One of the military aptitude tests we have here is the opposite of an essay question. You are given an essay and have to pick out only the salient points in order of importance. It shows you can analyze rapidly.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »
Never had to do writing on the SAT, ACT, or SAT II tests.

I did have to for the GRE, but that's for people going to grad school, and is truly nothing but a overly glorified SAT test.

Personally, I think all of these tests are a waste of time.

I suck at taking timed, standardized tests, but I do very well academically.  I had a good friend in college like that.  Graduated with a 3.95 GPA, but do so bad on her LSAT she almost didn't get into law school.  Her sister was the opposite, got 1580 something on her SAT, and barely squeaked out of A&M with a 2.0.  Then got into grad school on an equally high GRE test score.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »
Essay questions have a value. They showcase the ability of a student to arrange their thoughts logically and provide evidence to back up any assertions they make.

One of the military aptitude tests we have here is the opposite of an essay question. You are given an essay and have to pick out only the salient points in order of importance. It shows you can analyze rapidly.

I agree they have a value; I just don't think they bring much value-add to the SAT.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf