Author Topic: DHS allows German home-schooling family to stay in US  (Read 926 times)

Offline flowers

DHS allows German home-schooling family to stay in US
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:19:53 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/04/dhs-grants-german-home-schooling-family-permanent-asylum-in-us/

WASHINGTON –  A German home-schooling family facing deportation following the Supreme Court’s refusal to hear their appeal is being allowed to stay in the U.S.

The Department of Homeland Security has granted the family “indefinite deferred status,” their attorney confirmed to Fox News.

ADVERTISEMENT

That means the Romeike family, who claim the German government is persecuting them because they want to raise their children in accordance with their Christian beliefs, can stay in the United States without the threat of being forced return to their home country, the family’s legal team told Fox News.   

Offline musiclady

Re: DHS allows German home-schooling family to stay in US
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:22:20 pm »
This surprises me.

Is there some hope for religious liberty in this once great country of ours?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:33:14 pm »
They immigrated here legally in 2007. Their youngest child is an American citizen.  I don't see on what grounds they were to be deported.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:43:15 pm »
Thank God!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:58:50 pm »
They immigrated here legally in 2007. Their youngest child is an American citizen.  I don't see on what grounds they were to be deported.

This administration doesn't need grounds since it doesn't believe in the law except for what they make de jour.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:10:14 pm »
This surprises me.

Is there some hope for religious liberty in this once great country of ours?

Crudely speaking it's the Administration letting SoCons slip a hand up a skirt.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline happyg

By Albert Milliron

Homeland Security called a member of our legal team to inform us that the Romeike family has been granted “indefinite deferred status”. This means that the Romeikes can stay in the United States permanently (unless they are convicted of a crime, etc.)

This is an incredible victory that can only be credited to our Almighty God.

We also want to thank those of who spoke up on this issue–including that long ago White House petition. We believe that the public outcry made this possible while God delivered the victory.

Via Home School Legal Defense Association
Michael Farris, chairman for the Home School Legal Defense Association, announced Tuesday afternoon that a supervisor with the Department of Homeland Security said that a Morristown family has been granted “indefinite deferred status.”

Essentially this means that Uwe and Hannelore Romeike and their children can stay in the United States permanently unless they commit a crime or otherwise violate the terms of their status.

The Romeikes immigrated to America from Germany after running afoul of a German law requiring children attend public school or an approved private school offering the state-approved curriculum. The Romeikes, conservative Christians who objected to several parts of the state curriculum, preferred to home school their children.

In refusing to send their children to public school, the Romeikes racked up heavy fines and faced the threat of having their children removed from their home. They left for America before that could happen.

Once in Morristown, they began the long process of seeking political asylum, which was initially granted in 2010, but lost on appeal. In the four years since, the case worked its way to the steps of the Supreme Court which Monday announced it would not hear the case, leaving several of the Romeikes’ supporters in fear that the family would be deported.

Roughly 24 hours later, that was no longer a fear.

Via – Romeike family attorney gets assurance family can stay
http://www.politisite.com/2014/03/04/breaking-romeike-family-granted-indefinite-deferred-status-and-can-stay-in-united-states/

Offline Rapunzel

BTW while SCOTUS refused to take on this case, they ARE taking the case of a man who stabbed and slashed his wife to death and is serving a life sentence in her murder - the reason HIS case is so important?  The prison wants him to shave his beard and because he is a  - wait for it now - MUSLIM - he hand wrote a letter to SCOTUS to have his right to kep his beard heard...  and they are going to hear it.

So the SCOTUS wasn't interested in a family who were here legally, broke no laws and want nothing more than to home school their children, but a Muslim murderer who wants to keep his beard -- well......... THAT is important.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 10:23:04 pm »
Crudely speaking it's the Administration letting SoCons slip a hand up a skirt.

What!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 10:31:37 pm »
What!!!!!

It's a sop to the SoCons to undermine the Right.  See the article about getting men to vote Dem?   First step.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:27 pm »
It's a sop to the SoCons to undermine the Right.  See the article about getting men to vote Dem?   First step.

I really wonder about you sometimes, really I do.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:34:47 pm »

Never doubt me.  I understand the human condition.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:02 pm »

Why did Billy the Bent One carry a Bible?  He knew.  Like which direction from which the Sun rose.

Offline katzenjammer

BTW while SCOTUS refused to take on this case, they ARE taking the case of a man who stabbed and slashed his wife to death and is serving a life sentence in her murder - the reason HIS case is so important?  The prison wants him to shave his beard and because he is a  - wait for it now - MUSLIM - he hand wrote a letter to SCOTUS to have his right to kep his beard heard...  and they are going to hear it.

So the SCOTUS wasn't interested in a family who were here legally, broke no laws and want nothing more than to home school their children, but a Muslim murderer who wants to keep his beard -- well......... THAT is important.

Of course!!  smh

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 11:54:40 pm »
A very odd result.  it suggests that the federal leviathan pursued this case for some ulterior motive - in other words, they didn't really care about whether these folks stayed in the US, they cared about establishing the precedent they now have.

To go far out on a tangent, since forced public education is now not a ground for political asylum, this case could be used as persuasive precedent that forced public education also doesn't infringe on any constitutional rights, and that the old cases holding otherwise should be overruled.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 12:08:30 am »
A very odd result.  it suggests that the federal leviathan pursued this case for some ulterior motive - in other words, they didn't really care about whether these folks stayed in the US, they cared about establishing the precedent they now have.

To go far out on a tangent, since forced public education is now not a ground for political asylum, this case could be used as persuasive precedent that forced public education also doesn't infringe on any constitutional rights, and that the old cases holding otherwise should be overruled.

Yes, I believe that your points are correct, regrettably...