Author Topic: A New Jersey Cheerleader Is Suing Her Parents To Pay For Her College Tuition  (Read 796 times)

Offline happyg

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
She may very well have a strong claim against them.  Under NJ law a child is not automatically emancipated upon turning 18 and in general is not deemed emancipated until his/her education is completed, and that can include completing college.  So long as a child is not emancipated, the parents have an obligation to support that child and that can include paying for college.  Here's a brief article that summarizes NJ law on the subject:  http://www.einhornharris.com/resources/articles-publications/child-support-a-legal-obligation-and-a-moral-dilemma/

Offline aligncare

It's taken just 40 years for the legal profession to kill health care.

Lawyers have gone after religion with great success, too.

And legal defense funds have worked to empower envirowacko's to nearly kill industry.

Now they're working on killing the American family.

Too, let's not forget that today a majority of politicians are attorneys.

Any question why america's in such a mess?

Offline happyg

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
It's taken just 40 years for the legal profession to kill health care.

Lawyers have gone after religion with great success, too.

And legal defense funds have worked to empower envirowacko's to nearly kill industry.

Now they're working on killing the American family.

Too, let's not forget that today a majority of politicians are attorneys.

Any question why america's in such a mess?

The case law on this subject is of quite old vintage.  In NJ it goes back at least as far as 1949 and the case of Cohen v. Cohen, 6 N.J.Super. 26 (App.Div. 1949).

Online mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
She added that after she accused her parents of abuse
Will they countersue for defamation?
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Will they countersue for defamation?

I wouldn't if I were they.

Offline flowers

EXCLUSIVE: 'My mom called me porky and my dad got me drunk and told me I was more than just his daughter': Explosive claims of 'spoiled' Bulimic cheerleader, 18, suing parents to support her after she ran away

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2573165/My-mom-called-porky-dad-got-drunk-told-I-just-daughter-Explosive-claims-spoiled-cheerleader-18-suing-parents-support-ran-away.html

College-bound honors student Rachel Canning of Lincoln Park, New Jersey says she was 'abandoned' by her parents the day she turned 18
She claims her weight dropped to 92 pounds after developing eating disorder in sophomore year
Court papers further claim father said she was 'more' than just a daughter to him
Rachel's father Sean Canning is a former Lincoln Park, New Jersey police chief and says his daughter is a 'spoiled' liar who left on her own
Parents filed documents to New Jersey Superior Court showing they were cleared by a Department of Children and Families inquiry
Sean Canning and his wife Amy have stopped paying Rachel's Catholic school tuition and now owe over $5,000
Rachel's friend's family are funding her lawsuit, which has thus far cost $12,500

Offline flowers

'I hate you, have a nice life, bye mom'

Phone message left for Liz Canning from Rachel at July 2, 2013 1:18pm, submitted to Superior Court of New Jersey

'Hi mom just to let you know you're a real f**king winner aren't you you think you're so cool and you think you caught me throwing up in the bathroom after eating an egg frittatta, yeah sorry that you have problems now and you need to harp on mine because i didn't and i actually took a s*** which i really just wanna s*** all over your face right now because it looks like that anyway, anyway i f***ing hate you and um I've written you off so don't talk to me, don't do anything I'm blocking you from just about everything, have a nice life, bye mom'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2573165/My-mom-called-porky-dad-got-drunk-told-I-just-daughter-Explosive-claims-spoiled-cheerleader-18-suing-parents-support-ran-away.html

Online mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
As the sibling of one who has behaved at least this horridly toward his parents for the past 40+ years, this just makes me angry all over again. I really feel sorry for this family.
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Rapunzel

As the sibling of one who has behaved at least this horridly toward his parents for the past 40+ years, this just makes me angry all over again. I really feel sorry for this family.

Yep.........  some kids think there should be no rules.

Offline DCPatriot

This morning, the headline described her as an "honor student' and a cheerleader.

I guess they're right.....sex sells.  [/s]
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

I think the worst time to have a heart attack would be during a game of charades.

Online mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly

Online mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
Re: A New Jersey Cheerleader Is Suing Her Parents ... UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf