Author Topic: Rand Paul Hatches A Backup Plan In Case He Runs For President And Loses  (Read 537 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rand_paul_seeks_law_change_to_run_for_president_senate

CATHERINE THOMPSON – MARCH 4, 2014, 9:09 AM

If Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) decides to run for president, he doesn't want to lose his Senate seat in the process.

So Paul is reportedly asking Kentucky lawmakers to file a bill clarifying a state law that prevents candidates from holding or running for two offices at the same time, allowing him to hedge his bet if he launches a 2016 bid.

“Yes, I am working on clarifying an ambiguous state law that Rand Paul believes is unconstitutional if it is interpreted to bar running for re-election to the Senate and for president at the same time,” state Senate Majority Leader Damon Thayer (R) told The Washington Times on Monday.

Thayer also told Louisville radio station WFPL that Paul pitched the idea to the entire GOP caucus earlier this month.

“[He] explained much like I just did the situation in that he is running for the U.S. Senate in 2016, but that he is strongly considering seeking the Republican nomination for President," he said. "I hope he does.”

The Washington Times pointed out that seeking two federal offices at the same time isn't unique to Paul's situation. Both Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) and then-Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) ran for vice president while seeking re-election to Congress in 2012 and 2008, respectively -- but running for president is a whole different ballgame.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I hope he is successful in changing this, I would love to see Rand Paul run for president.  He would bring a lot to the table. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!