Author Topic: Woman Filming Intense Waves Captures Moment One Breaks Through Restaurant Window  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/03/woman-filming-intense-waves-captures-moment-one-breaks-through-restaurant-window/

Woman Filming Intense Waves Captures Moment One Breaks Through Restaurant Window
Mar. 3, 2014 9:30pm Liz Klimas   

Patrons of a California restaurant might have felt safe enjoying the violent waves churned up by an intense storm at beachside restaurant over the weekend — that is, until one actually broke through the glass. In another incident the same day, a rogue wave actually swept one employee into the water.

Those sitting in Moby Dick on Stearns Wharf in Santa Barbara County were filming the waves striking the building from their tables when one slammed into the window.

“Here comes another one!” Jill Freeland said, taking video with her cellphone from the restaurant Saturday.

Somewhat prophetically, she added “duck” right before the wave broke through the glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpJTOKWVks

Patrons screamed, dishes clashed and Freeland said, “time to go.”

Here is video from another angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjw-2nx2dHE

“The swell increased with every wave that passed. I recall telling people at the table in front of me, the pier will likely be closed soon due to the high surf. One minute later, I see a set of waves approaching and pick up my smartphone to film,” Forrest Buchanan posted on YouTube.

The restaurant was evacuated after the incident.

About 10 miles away, another wave caused more serious problems for a restaurant and its employees. When a manager with the Beachside Bar-Cafe on Goleta Pier ran to warn others who were securing outdoor furniture, he was  swept into the ocean.

This employee, identified by KEYT-TV as Simon, was dragged about 100 feet by the wave before he was able to grab onto the pier.

“They pulled him out. He was just in shock and just covered in sand. He said he was doing alright, but you could tell he was really pale and just freaked out,” Joseph Barker, a floor manager at the restaurant, told the news station.

Simon suffered a dislocated shoulder, while other employees had only minor scrapes.

“What we are seeing here is what I call is the perfect storm. We’ve got high tides, huge surf and a lot of rain. And what that creates is a lot of havoc and destruction along the coast side,” John Ledbetter told KEYT.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

perhaps these restaurants should be investing in aquarium grade plexiglass for their surf-side windows?

Offline Rapunzel

I was surprised they were so flimsy, particularly since this part of the coast is prone to big wave damage during winter storms...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Thank God no one was seriously hurt.  That could easily have killed someone.

Offline Rapunzel

Thank God no one was seriously hurt.  That could easily have killed someone.

Yep.......... I'm surprised the pier was still open. 

This is a SoCal pier during the big storms the winter of 1983 -

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:06:09 am by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

This isn't all that unusual in SoCal in the winter...

Malibu area and up the coast toward Santa Barbara are actually more protected than further south, but once in a while they get slammed bigtime....

Here's a good synopsis of prior storms in the area.......

http://www.malibucomplete.com/mc_hazards_floods.php

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-21/news/we-37636_1_malibu-residents

But 1983 was a bad year in the SW..... between winter storms flooding the coastal areas and an active hurricane season that summer in the Pacific it flooded California up and down the coast and all the way out to Four Corners and into Colorado - causing so much flooding it almost took out the entire dam system on the Colorado River.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-21/news/we-37636_1_malibu-residents

Offline NavyCanDo

Waitress, where is my damn water?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:16:38 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Oceander

:bigsilly:

careful what you ask for, right?

Online mountaineer

Waiter, is this fish fresh?

Direct from the ocean, sir.

:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Map of Stearns Wharf. Moby Dick Restaurant is #15, well out onto the pier.

http://www.stearnswharf.org/docs/WharfDirectoryMap.pdf
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I was surprised they were so flimsy, particularly since this part of the coast is prone to big wave damage during winter storms...

Also, it sounded like real glass instead of safety glass, but that may have been dishes breaking.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Rapunzel

Also, it sounded like real glass instead of safety glass, but that may have been dishes breaking.

Possibly both.  The way the Wharf is shaped the waves should break (as a rule) away from the restaurant.   

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Hope nobody got hurt is the most important thing.

Notice how calm the waitress was? She was actually giggling.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.