Author Topic: Poland Convenes NATO to Discuss Russia, Ukraine, Crimea  (Read 446 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Poland Convenes NATO to Discuss Russia, Ukraine, Crimea
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:47:26 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/03/03/Poland-Convenes-NATO-to-Discuss-Russia-Ukraine-Crimea

Poland Convenes NATO to Discuss Russia, Ukraine, Crimea

by Joel B. Pollak 3 Mar 2014, 11:47 AM PDT

Poland has summoned the members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) to meet on Tuesday to discuss the ongoing crisis in the Ukraine, where Russia has invaded and effectively taken over the Crimea.

According to a statement by NATO on Monday, Poland called the meeting of fellow treaty members under Article 4 of the NATO treaty: "The Parties will consult together whenever, in the opinion of any of them, the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any of the Parties is threatened."

NATO added: "The developments in and around Ukraine are seen to constitute a threat to neighboring Allied countries and having direct and serious implications for the security and stability of the Euro-Atlantic area."

Ukraine is not a member of NATO. Had it been, it could have called a meeting under Article 5 of the treaty, the same provision invoked by the U.S. after the Sep. 11, 2001 terror attacks. Article 5 provides that "an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all."

Photo: NATO
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Poland Convenes NATO to Discuss Russia, Ukraine, Crimea
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 11:15:56 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO

It would surprise me greatly if very many NATO members would vote to use force to block Russia's moves so far, with respect to the region of Ukraine in question.

The fact is in historical terms, the fall and breakup of the USSR was almost to good to believe.

It brings back the "Domino Theory."  Where will the line be drawn, if Russia seeks to reassemble the olde order?

Surely not Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Baltic?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:11:01 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO

It would surprise me greatly if very many NATO members would vote to use force to block Russia's moves so far, with respect to the region of Ukraine in question.

The fact is in historical terms, the fall and breakup of the USSR was almost to good to believe.

It brings back the "Domino Theory."  Where will the line be drawn, if Russia seeks to reassemble the olde order?

Surely not Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Baltic?

reminds me a little of the poem by Martin Niemöller, First they came ...:
First they came for Georgia, and I did not speak out because Georgia wasn't important;
Then they came for Ukraine, and I did not speak out because Ukraine wasn't important;

Then they came for us, and there was no one left to speak for us.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:11:30 am by Oceander »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:31:20 am »
reminds me a little of the poem by Martin Niemöller, First they came ...:

goopo
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776