Author Topic: Lunch eggs  (Read 644 times)

Offline Chieftain

• Your what hurts??
Lunch eggs
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »
I frequently hear people say that they believe chickens only lay eggs for a year then quit laying completely.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  If you have the right breed of chicken there is no reason why they won't keep on laying for their entire lives, 7-8 years in many cases.

My senior Rhode Island Red is coming into her fifth laying season, and has kicked things off with her usual amazing eggs.  Her egg machine must be well stretched by now as she is laying 3 1/2 ounce (90 grams!) eggs....I'm never sure if these hurt, or feel really, really good......

Maxine's two latest eggs are on the bottom and weigh in at 84 and 90 grams each.  The two top ones are from the other girls and weigh in at about 2 ounces each, pretty respectable eggs by themselves, but next to these gut bombs.....

That's a 3 1/2 ounce egg!  Mind you, two ounces is a large can see the pinch mark around the middle.  These have never been two-yolkers either.  Just a single enormous yolk and lots of white.

I keep these separate from the rest, and she usually lays me half a dozen in a week or so.  I let them age for a week in the outside fridge, then hard boil them.  I do the big ones separately because they need  more cooking than the small ones and there is no sense over cooking an egg.  My wife takes them to work for lunch, and they really do make a great protein hit for lunch.  She's getting a yogurt/spinach/fruit smoothie to take for breakfast every morning, and the egg at lunch goes down well too.

In any case, Maxine should be good for about 200 eggs this year.  She peaked at 2 with an egg almost every day, but considering all the composting she does for me along with the eggs, I think she does just fine.  She is also highly entertaining when challenged in the chicken yard.  She has chased more than one (temporarily) bold young cat....

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: Lunch eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
Maxine sounds like a sweetie pie.   Post a pic of HER!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo