Author Topic: How children in Somalia are brainwashed into believing female genital mutilation is acceptable (but even they draw the line at sewing up girls' vaginas)  (Read 588 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2571865/How-children-Somalia-brainwashed-believing-female-genital-mutilation-acceptable-girls-call-stitching-cutting-tradition.html

Female genital mutilation comes in many different forms. The other form known by the Somali teens is sewing the vagina shut until marriage. Everyone agreed that this should be ended.

'I want it to be eradicated. It's an old tradition,' said Ikram Ismail, a confident 18-year-old in a pink headscarf and a black hijab.

'When my mother was young no one could speak about it publicly, but now people understand that it causes a lot of harm so that's why we talk about it.'

Female genital mutilation can cause severe bleeding and problems with urination, cysts, infections, infertility and complications with childbirth, including an increased risk of newborn death. More than 125 million girls and women alive today have been cut in 29 African and Middle Eastern countries, the World Health Organization says.

In Somalia, the cultural expectation for girls to undergo genital mutilation comes down to sex and marriage. Men expect to marry a virgin.

Offline Millee

I hope this barbaric procedure is outlawed.  I just finished reading "Tears of the Desert" where the author, Halima Bashir, speaks about her experience having it done and was excruciating to read.   **nononono*

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.