Author Topic: Marco Rubio aims for comeback with conservatives  (Read 1650 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Marco Rubio aims for comeback with conservatives
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=661B37D4-B8AE-46CB-B264-952E9D5033D9

Marco Rubio aims for comeback with conservatives
By: Manu Raju
March 3, 2014 05:03 AM EST

Marco Rubio probably wouldn’t have been the biggest draw in Alabama last year, but last week he had big donors dropping big checks.

The Florida Republican, who championed the Senate immigration bill last year, swung by a state that has taken a tough stand against illegal immigrants and has repeatedly elected the chief opponent of the Senate plan. But last Thursday evening, deep-pocketed Birmingham donors paid up to $32,000 apiece to schmooze with Rubio, raising more than $300,000 for the Senate GOP campaign committee.

Rubio’s foray into the Deep South shows how quickly he has tried to put the bitter immigration fight behind him as he positions himself for what close allies say is an increasingly likely presidential bid in 2016. He is now raising his profile by demanding a more aggressive U.S. response to Russia in the Ukraine crisis, showcasing how the senator has embraced more hawkish foreign policy views than several of his would-be 2016 rivals, like Sens. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.

After dropping his push on immigration, Rubio is seeking to rehabilitate his image with much of the GOP base by falling back on his staunch conservative ideology while engaging in a calculated effort to broaden his domestic and foreign policy portfolio. He’s becoming a regular fundraising presence on the campaign trail and plans to play a big role in a handful of key midterm races this fall.

A contingent on the right will never forgive him for backing a bill offering a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, and his critics say he jettisoned the plan strictly to preserve his political standing. But in interviews with numerous GOP leaders and influential conservative activists in early primary states, his new push seems to have won over one-time skeptics who are now more open to a prospective Rubio candidacy.

Rubio, who plans to make a decision on whether to run for president either later this year or in early 2015, denies he dropped the immigration push for political purposes. But he acknowledges that his role in the immigration push took a toll on him politically.

“I’m sure there are people who are unhappy with what I did on immigration and will never be supportive of me again,” Rubio said in an interview in the Capitol last week. “But by and large, I think if you look at my approval ratings in different metrics that are out there, I feel like many of my supporters maybe disagreed with me on immigration — and disagreed strongly — but they understand that I’ve been involved in other issues that are important for the country.”

That includes the growing crisis in Ukraine. While his outspokenness on Ukraine could play well with the hawkish wing of his party, it could turn off the GOP’s libertarian faction that is growing more influential. Rubio’s effort to regain conservatives’ trust will be measured on Thursday, when he addresses the annual gathering of the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington.

“I believe people will give him on one issue quite a bit of room,” said Sen. Chuck Grassley, the influential Iowa Republican, when asked about the fallout for Rubio’s stance on immigration. “He’s already eight months away from what he did on immigration, and he’s taken on so many other issues to cloud that whole issue.”

Polls show the 2016 GOP presidential race is a wide-open affair, as the 42-year-old Rubio sits on a multimillion dollar war chest — some $2.6 million in his various campaign accounts. Rubio plans to make an appearance in at least one of the early primary states sometime this year, according to several people familiar with the matter, in what will almost certainly intensify chatter about his prospective run. His would-be GOP 2016 rivals, like Paul and Cruz, have already done just that.

Still, some conservatives from early primary states are decidedly skeptical.

“Rubio’s name never comes up here as it relates to presidential politics — except to express disappointment at how he wasted such tremendous potential on the largest Democrat Party voter drive in history,” said Steve Deace, a Des Moines-based conservative talk radio host.

But a range of other conservatives in the early primary states argued that the immigration issue is hardly a death knell for Rubio.

“I was never of the opinion Sen. Rubio suffered irreparable harm among Iowa conservatives during the immigration debate,” said Matt Strawn, the former Iowa GOP chairman.

As a co-author of the sweeping immigration bill that passed the Senate last June, Rubio has had to fend off accusations from conservatives that the legislation would provide “amnesty” to the nation’s 11 million undocumented immigrants. And once the bill passed the Senate last June, he abandoned his advocacy of the plan as House conservatives bashed it.

Rubio refused to pressure House Republicans into taking up the Senate bill, angering proponents of the legislation but endearing himself to the right. He has instead moved on to other issues that fire up the conservative base, such as joining Cruz in the battle to defund Obamacare, and pushed legislation to repeal what Republicans call the “insurance bailout” — a temporary provision in the law allowing the government to backstop some higher-than-anticipated costs for health insurers.

Last week, Rubio got rave reviews from Rush Limbaugh and Iowa activists when the son of Cuban immigrants blasted the Hawkeye State’s veteran Democratic senator, Tom Harkin, in a floor speech over Cuba and Venezuela. Rubio has methodically tried to burnish his foreign policy credentials to carve out a middle ground between the GOP hawks and libertarians in his party, while recently making high-profile swings through Asia and Europe.

In a series of speeches in Washington and in Florida, Rubio is piecing together a domestic policy platform, rolling out proposals to overhaul higher education, such as by allowing the transfer of accredited online courses to traditional colleges, and provide a conservative alternative to President Lyndon B. Johnson’s War on Poverty, including a new proposal to implement the earned income tax credit. On Monday, he was scheduled to drop by Google’s Washington headquarters to unveil what his aides call a jobs agenda, pushing measures like new trade agreements, reallocating federal spectrum for commercial wireless services and a tax reform plan he’s developing with Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah). That event, however, was postponed due to the weather.

In the interview in the Capitol last week, Rubio denied he had begun to exert himself on other issues simply to regain his credibility on the right, saying indignantly: “Which issue did I take on after immigration that I wasn’t supporting before?”

“I was elected here as a constitutional conservative, and all the issues that I supported before immigration and after immigration are the same ones,” Rubio said.

Asked whether he abandoned immigration because of the conservative revolt, Rubio said he was simply being “realistic” because the Senate bill had “no chance” of passing the House. He said Congress should now pass individual pieces of immigration reform that have broad support, such as beefed-up border security, a position in line with GOP dogma. And he blamed President Barack Obama for the bill’s failure in the House, saying conservatives don’t trust the White House to implement the law.

“If anything, I think what everyone around here underestimated is how difficult it is to pass massive pieces of comprehensive legislation on any subject … given the fact that every massive piece of legislation that’s passed over the last 20 years has … by and large been disastrous.”

Despite the touchiness of the issue, Rubio is still in demand on the campaign trail.

The senator has raised money and stumped for Republican House special election candidate David Jolly, and for Gov. Rick Scott in his reelection bid against Rubio’s old foe, Charlie Crist, whom the senator called a “terrible” governor. He has barnstormed at rallies with conservative candidates, such as losing Virginia gubernatorial hopeful Ken Cuccinelli, and his political action committee dropped a six-figure ad buy behind Rep. Tom Cotton’s Senate bid in Arkansas.

He has helped bolster the campaign coffers of the GOP establishment, headlining several high-dollar events for the National Republican Senatorial Committee in New York and Washington — as well as for Karl Rove’s super PAC, American Crossroads. And after nine months of not using his name in its mailers, the Senate Conservatives Fund — an anti-GOP establishment group — praised Rubio in a December message to its supporters, even though it strongly opposed the immigration plan.

Through his leadership PAC, Rubio plans to stay out of contested primaries but will engage heavily in three or four Senate races this fall, potentially with TV ads on behalf of candidates. Already, through independent expenditures and contributions to other candidates, Rubio has dropped $460,000 on behalf of Republicans, something that could ingratiate him with his colleagues ahead of a prospective White House run.

Still, if the immigration issue is revived next Congress, it could come back to haunt him in early primary and caucus states like Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina next year.

For instance, Erick Erickson, founder of the Red State website, praised Rubio for “keeping his head down and allying with conservatives” since the bill passed the chamber last summer — even though his conservative website sharply criticized the immigration plan.

“I think there will always be those who will never consider him because of immigration, but for most I think they’ll take a fresh look,” Erickson said.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, the Alabama conservative and chief foe of the legislation, said Rubio made a “mistake” in co-authoring the bill, but he said he “really liked how” the Florida Republican repeatedly voiced concerns about the measure as it worked its way through the process. By raising those concerns, however, proponents say Rubio undermined the bill’s chances for success.

Sen. Tim Scott, the conservative from South Carolina who opposed the immigration bill, said the issue “isn’t so toxic” that it’s disqualified Rubio in the state.

But, he cautioned: “If you get it wrong, it’s going to hard to be right in South Carolina.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MBB1984

Re: Marco Rubio aims for comeback with conservatives
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:54:21 pm »
Rubio's major problem is that when he was running for the Senate he was an outspoken critic of amnesty.  Shortly after he was elected, he wholeheartedly embraced Schmuck's amnesty package.  His prompt reversal of positions demonstrates he cannot be trusted.

When a candidate has no credibility he is just another politician.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:41:59 pm »
Rubio's major problem is that when he was running for the Senate he was an outspoken critic of amnesty.  Shortly after he was elected, he wholeheartedly embraced Schmuck's amnesty package.  His prompt reversal of positions demonstrates he cannot be trusted.

When a candidate has no credibility he is just another politician.

So you won't give any credit to a politician who changes - even more than once - because he learns something new, particularly when he goes from being a candidate to being an officeholder?  I'm not saying that Rubio is that sort of politician, all I'm saying is that such an unvarnished, unqualified statement risks throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

One might easily say that Rubio has changed course because he has quickly learned the lessons of listening more scrupulously to the wishes of his constituents, which would mean that he's a quick learner who's not afraid to admit his mistakes by changing his actions.  That is the sort of person we want as a politician in office, not the sort we should be throwing away.

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »
So you won't give any credit to a politician who changes - even more than once - because he learns something new, particularly when he goes from being a candidate to being an officeholder?  I'm not saying that Rubio is that sort of politician, all I'm saying is that such an unvarnished, unqualified statement risks throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

One might easily say that Rubio has changed course because he has quickly learned the lessons of listening more scrupulously to the wishes of his constituents, which would mean that he's a quick learner who's not afraid to admit his mistakes by changing his actions.  That is the sort of person we want as a politician in office, not the sort we should be throwing away.

It's possible that Rubio is a quick learner. It's also possible that Rubio learned to tell the people what they want to hear until he's in a position to ram his agenda down our throats.

Which is the case with Rubio? I have no idea. Do you? What are you willing to risk to find out?

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 04:56:51 pm »
It's possible that Rubio is a quick learner. It's also possible that Rubio learned to tell the people what they want to hear until he's in a position to ram his agenda down our throats.

Which is the case with Rubio? I have no idea. Do you? What are you willing to risk to find out?
  :thumbsup:

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 05:02:29 pm »

I don't know because I haven't taken the time to review everything in detail.  What am I willing to risk to find out?  What are you willing to put up with to quench your fear of Rubio?  Are you willing to put up with Eric Cantor and the GOP's stupid attempt to recreate one of its own little entitlement programs by essentially repealing the reforms to the flood insurance program and reinstate all of the entitlement subsidies that existed under the system before it was reformed?  Also, as far as I'm concerned, immigration reform that includes legalization of current illegal aliens is an absolute necessity so I think it was very smart of Rubio to recognize that and to get off the high horse of knee-jerk anti-immigration reform.  On that count, I've already found Rubio to be better than the existing alternatives.

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 05:12:59 pm »
On that count, I've already found Rubio to be better than the existing alternatives.

It's not easy. A lie is a lie is a lie. But in this realm, pragmatism is the only viable option.
I know I wouldn't vote to put Rubio in a higher position, until he proves he's not simply a liar with a hidden agenda.

I have no objection to creating a path to citizenship for current illegals. But, any solution without a serious attempt to stem the flow, be it arresting employers, or securing the border, is not a solution.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 05:16:38 pm »

The tea party elected Rubio and he dissed joining the tea party caucus first thing upon his freshmen arrival.

So he is just weak (in cowering to the fat cat establishment)  and has the same ideals that elected him;or he is a complete phony.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:17:02 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 05:19:11 pm »
It's not easy. A lie is a lie is a lie. But in this realm, pragmatism is the only viable option.
I know I wouldn't vote to put Rubio in a higher position, until he proves he's not simply a liar with a hidden agenda.

I have no objection to creating a path to citizenship for current illegals. But, any solution without a serious attempt to stem the flow, be it arresting employers, or securing the border, is not a solution.

The real issue, other than legalization of currently in-country illegals, is how, and to what extent, one will, or can, "stem the flow."  It seems to me that a major part of reform has to be redirecting the flow, not simply trying to put a plug in it because the plug will never work to any substantial degree.  By redirecting the flow - i.e., providing guest worker visas - we would at least know who's coming in, where they're going, and have the ability to keep tabs on them.  That would allow us to promptly remove one of them if he/she proves to be a problem without having to engage in sweeps or meddling in peoples' private affairs, which is a large part of why many hispanics and other ethnics are opposed to the reforms proposed by the right.

Offline WAYNE

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 05:29:21 pm »
$300,00  or so divided by "up to $32,000 thou a plate "  What ? 15 , 20 people there?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 07:00:55 pm »

goopo
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 07:02:19 pm »
The tea party elected Rubio and he dissed joining the tea party caucus first thing upon his freshmen arrival.

So he is just weak (in cowering to the fat cat establishment)  and has the same ideals that elected him;or he is a complete phony.

The TP ignored his record in the Florida Senate... we all ignored it because he was such an "attractive" and "well-spoken" candidate and Charlie Crist so dispicable and alternative.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 07:26:48 pm »
The TP ignored his record in the Florida Senate... we all ignored it because he was such an "attractive" and "well-spoken" candidate and Charlie Crist so dispicable and alternative.

Rubio was for amnesty before he was passionately against it and then did a complete politician's pirouette and was a zealous amnesty supporter yet again.  How many reversals will any intelligent Conservative accept in ONE politician?

We need to have Rubio in a solo debate performance so he can debate his multiple personality positions. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 07:28:49 pm »
Rubio was for amnesty before he was passionately against it and then did a complete politician's pirouette and was a zealous amnesty supporter yet again.  How many reversals will any intelligent Conservative accept in ONE politician?

We need to have Rubio in a solo debate performance so he can debate his multiple personality positions.

True....   Frankly it is sad, because he could have been an excellent candidate down the line, but it is a case of fool me once shame on you........

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 04:05:23 am »
[[ Also, as far as I'm concerned, immigration reform that includes legalization of current illegal aliens is an absolute necessity ]]

Well, that tells me all I need to know about with which branch of the Republican party you identify and associate. Seems to have the suffix "-e" attached to it!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:06:32 am by Fishrrman »

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 05:28:54 am »
[[ Also, as far as I'm concerned, immigration reform that includes legalization of current illegal aliens is an absolute necessity ]]

Well, that tells me all I need to know about with which branch of the Republican party you identify and associate. Seems to have the suffix "-e" attached to it!

That would be the same branch of the republican party Reagan came from, and that would be the party of principle and pragmatism, the side of the party that knows how to prioritize its goals and principles, knows what it can compromise on, and how far it can compromise, prefers reality to ideology, and understands that the goal of politics is to make everyone equally unhappy, but as least unhappy as possible, and that means that you have to take your lumps just as your opponents have to take theirs.

There are only two basic, fundamental choices with respect to immigration:  (1) deal with reality - there will always be those who want to come here to work - and manage that flow so that you can keep tabs on who comes in and can handily remove those who start causing problems, or (2) emulate the gestapo, with neighborhood sweeps and national identification papers that must be provided to federal immigration agents upon request.

Those are the two poles around which the various alternatives for immigration reform must revolve.  I really don't care for (2), so I'll eschew it in favor of (1).

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 06:16:33 am »
That would be the same branch of the republican party Reagan came from, and that would be the party of principle and pragmatism, the side of the party that knows how to prioritize its goals and principles, knows what it can compromise on, and how far it can compromise, prefers reality to ideology, and understands that the goal of politics is to make everyone equally unhappy, but as least unhappy as possible, and that means that you have to take your lumps just as your opponents have to take theirs.

Good thinking. IOW the intelligent and practical branch, focused on results.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 06:25:38 pm »

Yes, indeed.   And on the illegal immigration issue, more than most all others, the survival of American culture and survival is at stake.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »

Yup, pretty much!!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 07:10:19 pm »
Yes, indeed.   And on the illegal immigration issue, more than most all others, the survival of American culture and survival is at stake.

It seems that the concept of a nation defending and sealing its own borders has become a bit of an anachronism to many.  Even though the world still has many that do just that, Mexico is an example of one....

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 03:14:45 am »

You want to "save" American culture from being swamped by illegal immigrants?  Assuming arguendo that American culture is indeed at risk of being destroyed by illegal immigrants, what better way to turn things around by bringing them into American culture rather than the other way around?  Immerse them in American culture and let it soak into them.  How?  Legalization.  Right now the libs/progs keep them on the plantation and isolated from the rest of America because of the hyped-up threat of "the Immi" - immigration.  Further, by keeping them in the ghettoes - communities that are populated mostly with illegal immigrants, where spanish is the only, or the predominant, language spoken, current immigration law only abets libs/progs in keeping illegals on the plantation where they can be used as tools to do their masters' bidding.

Since the key to the plantation is the threat of The Immi, take that threat away and you unlock the plantation, you let them leave the ghettoes without fear of reprisal.  Once they can safely move out of the lib/prog plantations/ghettoes, they are no longer a concentrated group of like-minded people totally cut off from the broader culture, they are now participants in that culture, have been diluted by moving into non-illegal neighborhoods and finding jobs that aren't mostly done by illegals (e.g., lawn mowing), and those who want to get ahead will realize that the better way to get ahead is to blend yourself into the larger American culture.  That doesn't mean you deracinate yourself, but it does mean that you no longer see the broader culture as an adversary to be avoided, but as a tool to be used to help you live a better life.

Immigration reform that legalizes current illegal immigrants will protect American culture far better than some sort of East German style sealed border.

Offline evadR

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 03:31:53 am »

I'm willing to risk him being a senator, and that's as far as it goes.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 03:34:21 am »
I'm willing to risk him being a senator, and that's as far as it goes.

And are you willing to revisit that decision if he continues to do well as a Senator?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 08:09:55 am »
I don't know because I haven't taken the time to review everything in detail.  What am I willing to risk to find out?  What are you willing to put up with to quench your fear of Rubio?  Are you willing to put up with Eric Cantor and the GOP's stupid attempt to recreate one of its own little entitlement programs by essentially repealing the reforms to the flood insurance program and reinstate all of the entitlement subsidies that existed under the system before it was reformed?  Also, as far as I'm concerned, immigration reform that includes legalization of current illegal aliens is an absolute necessity so I think it was very smart of Rubio to recognize that and to get off the high horse of knee-jerk anti-immigration reform.  On that count, I've already found Rubio to be better than the existing alternatives.
I couldn't agree more.  I want a politician who listens to his constituents and says I represent my state.  I want a politician who can recognize a mistake and admit it. Rubio wants a legal channel for millions of workers already working here and living here.  It is the right thing to do.  He has calculated that his vote was not favored by his state voters and probably considered how it plays in 2016.  Rubio recognized he made a mistake and says "My bad.  I heard you that time.  De Facto amnesty is preferable.  Good thing it didn't become law and won't happen again, Boss."  Rubio is saying he is willing to sublimate his opinion to the will of the people. I think that is how a representative its supposed to work.  I think Rubio would make a fantastic President, but then again I like public servants not ideologues.   A dictator pushes his agenda against the voters because he knows he is right, and he doesn't have time to convince the rest of the people.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 01:44:55 pm »
You want to "save" American culture from being swamped by illegal immigrants?  Assuming arguendo that American culture is indeed at risk of being destroyed by illegal immigrants, what better way to turn things around by bringing them into American culture rather than the other way around?  Immerse them in American culture and let it soak into them.  How?  Legalization.  Right now the libs/progs keep them on the plantation and isolated from the rest of America because of the hyped-up threat of "the Immi" - immigration.  Further, by keeping them in the ghettoes - communities that are populated mostly with illegal immigrants, where spanish is the only, or the predominant, language spoken, current immigration law only abets libs/progs in keeping illegals on the plantation where they can be used as tools to do their masters' bidding.

Since the key to the plantation is the threat of The Immi, take that threat away and you unlock the plantation, you let them leave the ghettoes without fear of reprisal.  Once they can safely move out of the lib/prog plantations/ghettoes, they are no longer a concentrated group of like-minded people totally cut off from the broader culture, they are now participants in that culture, have been diluted by moving into non-illegal neighborhoods and finding jobs that aren't mostly done by illegals (e.g., lawn mowing), and those who want to get ahead will realize that the better way to get ahead is to blend yourself into the larger American culture.  That doesn't mean you deracinate yourself, but it does mean that you no longer see the broader culture as an adversary to be avoided, but as a tool to be used to help you live a better life.

Immigration reform that legalizes current illegal immigrants will protect American culture far better than some sort of East German style sealed border.

Do you seriously believe we can assimilate approximately 20-25 million illegal immigrants?  It is impossible, particularly when most do not want to assimilate and view the United States as occupying "their" land.  Most desire the economic benefits of our culture (through work or welfare), but have no real understanding that our culture is superior to theirs.  To the contrary, they believe their culture to be superior.  American culture and its historic values of hard work, honesty, western civilization and the English language are already eroded by the lack of border enforcement and massive invasion of illegals.  Legalization will destroy the culture in exponential fashion and simultaneously encourage more illegals to pillage the once great culture that ironically led them to America.