Author Topic: Lincoln, Nebraska: Muslim immigrants transform a church into a mosque  (Read 2746 times)

rangerrebew

Lincoln,Nebraska: Muslim Immigrants Transform a Church Into a Mosque

Posted by sharia unveiled on March 3, 2014

Posted in: Uncategorized. Tagged: Persecution, Islam, Christian, muslim, islamic, Jihad, terrorism, America, Qur'an, Koran, Women, Muhammad, mosque, Sharia Law, Sabah Youth Group, Bosnia, Lincoln, Nebraska. 3 Comments

Lincoln Nebraska - Sabah Church Into Mosque

Among the members of the Sabah Youth Group are (from left): Senad Topalovic, Elyla Sarajlic, Selma Salja, Melisa Sarajlic, Senada Gusic and Abdul Zhaiya. Photo courtesy of: Lincoln Star Journal

by, Erin Andersen | Lincoln Journal Star

Melisa Sarajlic and Senada Gusic were Lincoln kindergartners when terrorists attacked the World Trade Center and Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001.

The girls, both Bosnian immigrants, didn’t grasp the magnitude of the event at the time, but they clearly remember hostility and distrust for anyone Muslim.

So they kept quiet about their faith, their beliefs and their traditions.

“Growing up was really hard. I was struggling with my culture and religion,” recalled Sarajlic, now 18. “In school when people talked about their religion, I didn’t want to tell them. It was so hard; I just wanted to fit in.”

Her parents fled Bosnia during the war. They chose to immigrate to the United States because of the promise of the “American Dream,” Sarajlic said.

“In our quest for the ultimate ‘American Dream,’ our parents realized that we were all going to lose our heritage and faith,” she recalled. “So all the parents decided to rent out a room at (what is now) the People’s City Mission (Homeless Prevention Center) for us to gather together and not be afraid to share our religion with each other.”

They created Sabah Youth Group — a cadre of about 20 teens and 20-somethings who pray, play and work together to live the tenets of a faith that calls for acceptance of all.

“It (Sabah Youth Group) is the only place where we aren’t judged for our religion, heritage and way of life,” Sarajlic said.

The group of mostly Bosnian and some Middle Eastern immigrants soon outgrew the tiny room at 27th and O streets — especially during Ramadan, the Muslim holy month.

So the Sabah Youth Group held a donation night — asking their families and fellow Muslims to donate money toward finding a new building for the community.

They raised nearly $200,000.00

Lincoln Nebraska - Sabah Church Into Mosque 1

In 2008, they bought the long-empty Abundant Life Family Church at 1145 Furnas Ave. Hardworking parents and lots of elbow grease have transformed the church into a mosque. What was once the sanctuary is now the prayer room. Old church pews line the walls for people to sit and observe. A giant Turkish rug covers the floor. An area that once served as a stage for the church was tiled and transformed into rooms designed for the Muslim practice of washing hands, feet and faces before prayer.

In the old place, we had to clean our feet in a bathroom sink, Sarajlic said.

“You can just imagine an 80-year-old woman trying to put her feet in the sink,” she said.

Downstairs is a kitchen, a room for dining that is filled to near capacity during Ramadan and the breaking of fast at sundown.

Walls that once separated a long space into preschool classrooms are long gone. The area is the gathering place for Sabah Youth Group. Here they play ping pong, air hockey and video games.

Across the hall, another room is used for homework and child’s play.

Sabah Mosque opened one year ago. It is a home away from home for the youth group.

Gusic, 18, is a full-time freshman at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, double majoring in political science and global studies and minoring in English. She also oversees the mosque, coordinating events and programs, teaching Sunday school and finding ways in which she and her fellow Muslim youth can give back to the community.

Sarajlic is a freshman at Southeast Community College but will transfer to UNL in the fall to pursue a degree in international business.

Between school and jobs, both women are stretched for time — but the youth group and the mosque remain a top priority.

Gusic remembers her parents’ concerns after living in the United States for several years. They expected their children to be Americanized, but they also wanted them to keep the traditions of their heritage and faith.

“My parents saw a change in my personality, and that’s when they went ‘Hey, listen up!’” Gusic said. “I got my heritage down, and now I needed to get my religion.”

In Sunday school she learned her chapters and verses with people her own age and of her own culture.

“I had a blast,” she said. “And I found out there were more Bosnians than just my family — the majority of the population came here from the war.”

The new Bosnian center and mosque sits at Furnas Avenue just a l

The new Bosnian Islamic Cultural Center sits at 1145 Furnas Ave. just off of North Antelope Valley Parkway. The center and mosque opened its doors in November. / Photo by Hailey Konnath

It is this love of faith and humanity that drives Gusic and Sarajlic to spread the word about Sabah Youth Group — who and what they are. They want to attract Muslims, as well as people of other faiths or no faith to come and to learn — and more importantly, understand that Islam is not about terror and world domination, but of love, peace and worshipping God.

“We want people to know about us and accept us,” Sarajlic said. “Even some Bosnians and Muslims don’t come, because they are afraid if they are here everyone will characterize them and treat them differently.

“It takes courage to come.”

But maybe, one day, the fear will disappear, Gusic and Sarajlic said.

One way to do that is to give back.

“When we got here, we needed to rely on the help of others,” Gusic said. “They (community) helped us get on our feet, and we want to do the same for people who need it — that is just as big.”

Another way is to live their faith as it is truly intended to be — not what is often portrayed in the media.

“Religion is the most important thing. … It makes your footprint in the world,” Sarajlic said.

http://shariaunveiled.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/lincolnnebraska-muslim-immigrants-transform-a-church-into-a-mosque/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:25:26 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Lincoln, Nebraska: Muslim immigrants transform a church into a mosque
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »
Since 911 they've built over 2200 mosques in the USA.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »
I'm not sure why this is news.  Churches are bought and sold right and left in his country.  That's what freedom is all about.  If you have the money, you buy what you want and you do what you want with it.  The fact that you might do something I might object to only matters insofar as what you do violates my rights.  I don't see any evidence from the story that these Muslims are violating anyone's rights.

If peaceful Muslims aren't safe in this country, then neither are peaceful gun owners.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 07:10:00 pm »
I don't know what's worse, turning churches into mosques or into brewpubs.

What am I saying? Of course it's the former.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »
Since 911 they've built over 2200 mosques in the USA.

Not a problem!!  We all need to be open minded, tolerant, and embrace them!!  (and yes, I will use a /sarc tag so there is no confusion!!)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 07:34:26 pm »
If they harm nobody, I see no reason to get up in arms about their exercise of religious freedom.

I would draw the line at female genital mutilation, until the age of consent is reached.

And I will object strenuously to significant government funding to them, more than any other "legitimate" recipients.*

*Legitimate means open to all. IOW youth sports programs, for everybody, not just for blacks or muslims.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 01:32:32 am »
[[ Since 911 they've built over 2200 mosques in the USA. ]]

There should be no mosques in the USA.
Nor anywhere else in the Western World.

Mosques belong in dar el-islam.
Nowhere else.

This particular mosque is "more than another mosque". It is symbolic in nature, representing the replacement of Chrisitanity by islam. And will be repeated in the future.

Who's winning?

Aside: even though there is a small contingent of muslims in Iceland, I don't believe the Icelandics have permitted a mosque to be built in that country (at least this was up until a few years ago). Those people have the right idea!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:34:55 am by Fishrrman »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 01:56:54 am »

Nowhere else.

This particular mosque is "more than another mosque". It is symbolic in nature, representing the replacement of Chrisitanity by islam. And will be repeated in the future.

Who's winning?

Aside: even though there is a small contingent of muslims in Iceland, I don't believe the Icelandics have permitted a mosque to be built in that country (at least this was up until a few years ago). Those people have the right idea!

Agreed, on all counts.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 02:01:51 am »

Nowhere else.

Who's winning?

With respect, I disagree. If they are in a mosque, you know where they are and can hear what they say. Meeting in small groups in unknown rooms across the nation is how Christianity survived, thrived and eventually took over the Roman Empire.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline raml

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 02:08:16 am »
Wow people on here don't care do they not look and see what has happened in other countries once the cult of Islam numbers are large? It is not a religion never was and isn't now it is a cult and you must remember their goal is to kill off or have you convert to their cult their whole Koran speaks of this. There are no moderate Muslims just those waiting silently till their numbers reach what they need to take us over. It has happened in other countries and will happen here because of people like you who are tolerant of the intolerable cult. I am glad I am 68 in Obama's kill off the seniors time so I won't have to see it happen here. I wish Americans had some balls but I have noticed lately most don't they will sit and watch things collapse around them while saying how peaceful the people who are plotting to kill them are.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:53 am »
Wow people on here don't care do they not look and see what has happened in other countries once the cult of Islam numbers are large? It is not a religion never was and isn't now it is a cult and you must remember their goal is to kill off or have you convert to their cult their whole Koran speaks of this. There are no moderate Muslims just those waiting silently till their numbers reach what they need to take us over. It has happened in other countries and will happen here because of people like you who are tolerant of the intolerable cult. I am glad I am 68 in Obama's kill off the seniors time so I won't have to see it happen here. I wish Americans had some balls but I have noticed lately most don't they will sit and watch things collapse around them while saying how peaceful the people who are plotting to kill them are.

Knowing what goes on in these mosques -- nope don't want them or their religion here... sorry if that offends anyone.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 02:22:06 am »

It is because too many have bought into the lie that it is a "religion" when all objective assessments show that to be completely false.  There have been enough threads here and elsewhere that explain it very clearly, but many will persist in sticking with what Cultural marxism (i.e., what "PC" really is) tells them.  And because most insist that it be treated as a religion, they protect it as a religious liberty issue.  And that is exactly one of the main assumptions that their Civilization Jihad is based upon, that the cultural, societal, and governmental institutions of the West will actually offer them "protection" as they infest every aspect of society until their numbers grow large enough to begin the next steps.  Looking at Europe provides a very clear view to the US in about 15-20 years if things don't change drastically.  And I am not assuming that they will.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 02:23:22 am »
Knowing what goes on in these mosques -- nope don't want them or their religion here... sorry if that offends anyone.

I agree, but I wonder if you may want to re-consider the use of the word "religion" with regard to that evil.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 02:25:51 am »
I agree, but I wonder if you may want to re-consider the use of the word "religion" with regard to that evil.

Good point.

rangerrebew

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »
I'm not sure why this is news.  Churches are bought and sold right and left in his country.  That's what freedom is all about.  If you have the money, you buy what you want and you do what you want with it.  The fact that you might do something I might object to only matters insofar as what you do violates my rights.  I don't see any evidence from the story that these Muslims are violating anyone's rights.

If peaceful Muslims aren't safe in this country, then neither are peaceful gun owners.

The difference is Obama will protect the "rights" of muslims, but not the rights of gun owners.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 01:51:14 pm »
The difference is Obama will protect the "rights" of muslims, but not the rights of gun owners.

Freedom loving people should recognize that ALL individuals are endowed with certain inalienable rights. 

What makes freedom hard is recognizing that these rights confer upon those we disagree with.  I agree that Islam has very serious tenets that are potentially dangerous to the west.  However, in our system we do not punish thought or ideas.  We punish behavior.  Until or unless an individual's BEHAVIOR results in lawlessness, he has first amendment rights.

Just because OPapaDoc recognizes one group's rights ahead of others, doesn't mean we should.

rangerrebew

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:48 pm »
I understand what you are saying but we should be honest and recognize this is not the America you and I grew up in.  That means there are the influences of parties, just as Washington warned against in his Farewell Address.  The truth is many groups are now freer than others, have more rights backed by the government than others, and that is likely to get worse until the country collapses.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:29:26 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 01:18:26 am »
[[ Freedom loving people should recognize that ALL individuals are endowed with certain inalienable rights.  ]]

That's a beautiful dream, but it's going to destroy us in the end.

You cannot give to some "rights" which they will use to slowly but effectively undermine the construct of Western Civilization.

In this respect, Thomas Jefferson made a grave error when he wrote that famous line in the Declaration.

Unless we wake up, we are going to pay dearly for Mr. Jefferson's blind spot...