Author Topic: US moves to isolate Russia from 'community of civilized nations'  (Read 465 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

Re: US moves to isolate Russia from 'community of civilized nations'
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
Yeah sink. Imagine you are in the military and you had to choose who you would fight with.

Would you pick Obama, or Putin?

That makes everything pretty simple.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »
Putin taking Crimea is a small price to pay if it takes this bastard president down a peg or two.

I doubt you'll find many Ukrainians agreeing with that.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »

Putin taking Crimea is a small price to pay if it takes this bastard president down a peg or two.

I don't imagine the citizens in Crimea feel so warm and fuzzy as you about being invaded.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
I don't imagine the citizens in Crimea feel so warm and fuzzy as you about being invaded.

Actually, from what I read, most Crimeans speak Russian and aren't all that opposed to being under Russian control.  Plus, Crimea's a drain on Ukraine, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ukraine's not in a big hurry to reclaim it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
I apologize for a small break in the flow of this thread, but I was shocked to read the word 'detritus'. That is a very unusual word and one I haven't heard in years.

I'll bet one in a million Americans know that word, if that. I'm being generous.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »
Yeah sink. Imagine you are in the military and you had to choose who you would fight with.

Would you pick Obama, or Putin?

That makes everything pretty simple.

You don't fight for your commander, you fight for the guy standing next to you watching your a&&

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
You don't fight for your commander, you fight for the guy standing next to you watching your a&&

I know, I know exactly what you are saying, but still. I just can't do it. I cannot fight Obama's crazy wars, live by his crazy rules, and do the thing. It is just not fair what is going on.

Not fair to me, or to my buddies. Not fair. Not right.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
Actually, from what I read, most Crimeans speak Russian and aren't all that opposed to being under Russian control.  Plus, Crimea's a drain on Ukraine, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ukraine's not in a big hurry to reclaim it.

At least 10% + of Crimeans are Krim Tartars, and while they may speak Russian they are VERY opposed to being under Russian control. So are the Ukranians who live there.Nor is the Crimea a drain on Ukraine. Russia extorted a lease on the naval base at Sebastapol with cheap natural gas, and other fuels.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »

I hear the same thing, that Crimeans are all but begging to be back as part of the Motherland.  If that is the case then there isn't anything Ukraine can do to stop it.  Ukraine will be lucky if they are left to attend to their own affairs....

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 11:10:55 PM »

:silly:

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:38 PM »
I hear the same thing, that Crimeans are all but begging to be back as part of the Motherland.  If that is the case then there isn't anything Ukraine can do to stop it.  Ukraine will be lucky if they are left to attend to their own affairs....

Wo'da thunk: Sudeten Russians.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 11:30:24 PM »
Wo'da thunk: Sudeten Russians.

The back and forth over all of this territory has been going on for Centuries.  France was much the same way at one time, but Henry V pretty much solved that at Agincourt when his archers slaughtered the cream of the French aristocracy.  Napoleon was the guy who was finally able to untie France as a country.  Stalin did much the same thing in Russia and later in forming the USSR.

The divisions and loyalties in these regions go back centuries, and just like in the Middle East, there is virtually nothing short of war that the US can do about any of it.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 11:56:05 PM »
If they really want to put leverage on Putin, they need to start freezing the assets of wealthy Russians - the assets they've taken out of Russia and hidden from view.  The freeze could be justified as part and parcel of imposing economic sanctions on Russia, and would be removed once Russian troops are out of Ukraine (incl. Crimea).  Oligarchs and Plutarchs depend as much on their wealthy cronies as on the loyalty of their troops, so if someone puts a hurtin' on Putin's nearest and dearest (politically speaking), then they'll put a hurtin' on Putin.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf