Author Topic: Content Management Systems - MODx  (Read 939 times)

Oceander

Content Management Systems - MODx
« on: March 02, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »
I'm just going to post this here because (a) I want to complain about the MODx CMS, but (b) I really don't feel like dealing with the b.s. on their forums and the flames I'll inevitably get.

MODx Revolution is a potentially very useful/powerful content management system, but it suffers from several rather severe problems:

(1) The add-on native forum Discuss is riddled with errors that make the software unuseable unless you take it upon yourself to spend hours reading through very poorly commented code to find these elusive errors and fix them yourself;

(2) the software itself blatantly violates best coding practices in that there are almost no comments in the actual scripts used.  Understanding the underlying software is more than half the battle of figuring out how to use a software package, and properly commented code is crucial to that process; MODx Revolution (including its Discuss add-on) are bereft of comments, which renders the software significantly less useful than it might otherwise be.

I've spent more than a day just trying to get the urls in the software to be correctly formed by the software, including in the basic software itself, and as far as I can tell, there is precious little interest on the part of the developers to fix these sorts of bugs.

Oh well.  I'll give it a few more days' worth of trying, and then I'll just dump it and go with something else, like Joomla.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Content Management Systems - MODx
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:40:45 pm »
I do appreciate you working so hard on this....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:53:37 pm »
I take it you've already discovered the cheat sheets on the developer forums?
http://forums.modx.com/thread/20057/modx-revolution-s-cheatsheets

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:08:08 pm »
What is this....RoboMod???

:whistle:

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 04:21:51 pm »
I take it you've already discovered the cheat sheets on the developer forums?
http://forums.modx.com/thread/20057/modx-revolution-s-cheatsheets

no, not yet.  I spent most of the time just trying to get the thing set up so that it functioned at all.  cheat sheets would (I hope) be useful because the code itself is poorly commented and even the Docs documentation for the CMS itself as well as the native forum module, are barely helpful.

The biggest disappointment - so far - was the so-called "Demo data" for the forum module.  It was essentially a half-arsed copy of the home page for the MODx forums, with links that go back to MODx, and a category and board that don't get shown at all if you click on them.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 04:22:53 pm »
What is this....RoboMod???

:whistle:

Eh?  Just experimenting with some software packages that might make it possible to expand TBR beyond the confines of just being a discussion forum.  May never come to fruition at this point.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 03:32:38 am »
Getting a better handle on the basic MODx framework now - it's still complicated but I can see where the strength lies - but the native forum module will be another kettle of fish.