Author Topic: Ted Cruz: 'Vague Threats' Not Enough; Suspend Russian G8 Membership Now  (Read 3189 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/03/01/Senator-Cruz-Words-Are-Not-Enough-Suspend-Russian-G8-Membership-Immediately

by AWR Hawkins 1 Mar 2014

On February 28th, Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) reacted to President Obama's "hastily arranged" speech against Russian military intervention in the Ukraine by saying the U.S. needs to suspend "Russian membership in the Group of Eight (G8)," and we need to do so "immediately."

He made it clear that mere words and "the President's vague threats" are not enough because mere "appeals to international norms" hold no sway over Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Moreoever, Cruz said international norms mean even less than usual to Putin "when they run counter to his goal of re-establishing Soviet-style regional hegemony over unfortunate states like Georgia and Ukraine who have the temerity to want a more free, prosperous future for their people."

Cruz said the U.S. must suspend Russian membership in the G8. If that doesn't give Putin pause, he added, suspensions from "the World Trade Organization and even the United Nations Security Council" should be pursued.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Problem is, Senator, Obama would have to get our allies behind this.  And we all know what our allies think of Obama.   **nononono*

Offline Carling

Problem is, Senator, Obama would have to get our allies behind this.  And we all know what our allies think of Obama.   **nononono*

Germany and France would never go along with it.  More tough rhetoric that has no basis in reality by Cruz.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Germany and France would never go along with it.  More tough rhetoric that has no basis in reality by Cruz.

No country's going to follow Obama.  I suspect that would be vastly different with Cruz at the helm.   :smokin:

Offline Rapunzel

He is right.  How about attacking Obama for putting us in a position where France and Germany would not go along with this instead of Senator Cruz for being right and unable to do anything other than be correct.  Russia shouldn't be in the G-8 at this point... never should have been allowed in the first place.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Carling

He is right.  How about attacking Obama for putting us in a position where France and Germany would not go along with this instead of Senator Cruz for being right and unable to do anything other than be correct.  Russia shouldn't be in the G-8 at this point... never should have been allowed in the first place.

Again, how is the USA alone going to kick Russia out of the G8?  It's a sound byte designed to look tough, but w/out have the power to actually be tough.  The ramifications of the USA unilaterally blocking Russia out of the G8 are so far-reaching, they can barely be discussed over a week, let alone in one sentence.

If Cruz would really do this as President (I doubt he would) then he has no business going anywhere near the White House as as candidate. 

Offline Rapunzel

Again, how is the USA alone going to kick Russia out of the G8?  It's a sound byte designed to look tough, but w/out have the power to actually be tough.  The ramifications of the USA unilaterally blocking Russia out of the G8 are so far-reaching, they can barely be discussed over a week, let alone in one sentence.

If Cruz would really do this as President (I doubt he would) then he has no business going anywhere near the White House as as candidate.

He's not the only one in either party saying the same thing.......... perhaps you should look at the situation vs your hatred for Cruz.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,130161.msg533655.html#new

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.hughhewitt.com/rubio-cruz-lead-gops-response-president-obamas-non-response-putin/

Rubio and Cruz Lead GOP’s Response To President Obama’s Non-Response To Putin
Sunday, March 2, 2014  |  posted by Hugh Hewitt

Both Senators Cruz and Rubio have urged the suspension or expulsion of Russia from the G-8.  Already overdue, but these two are at least pointing the president to the obvious and necessary first step to deter even more Russian aggression. My Monday Washington Examiner column underscores why they are rightly gaining the leadership of the Republican string defense caucus.

Offline Carling

He's not the only one in either party saying the same thing.......... perhaps you should look at the situation vs your hatred for Cruz.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,130161.msg533655.html#new

I don't hate Ted Cruz.  I agree with almost all of his beliefs.  Where he loses me is with his political grandstanding, which is done to rally the minds of weak people, and divide us on the right.

I know you're not weak-minded, though.

Offline Carling

Wait, so now Rubio is back in the good graces of the conservative purists?  My neck gets sore watching the far right do their back and forth whiplashes on which politicians to adore, based on whatever just happened today.

Am I now supposed to like Rubio?  I've been ripped on this board for posting positively about him over the last year.   :tongue2:

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Ted Cruz: 'Vague Threats' Not Enough; Suspend Russian G8 Membership Now
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 07:01:58 pm »
Wait, so now Rubio is back in the good graces of the conservative purists?  My neck gets sore watching the far right do their back and forth whiplashes on which politicians to adore, based on whatever just happened today.

Am I now supposed to like Rubio?  I've been ripped on this board for posting positively about him over the last year.   :tongue2:

I didn't say he was, I pointed out he, too, said the same thing.. so did McCain.. someone else I don't care for...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 07:14:33 pm »

The list of Republicans who are out of favor with the unappeaseables is quite long.  And once you're on the s**t list,  you can never get off.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 07:20:50 pm »
I don't hate Ted Cruz.  I agree with almost all of his beliefs.  Where he loses me is with his political grandstanding, which is done to rally the minds of weak people, and divide us on the right.

I know you're not weak-minded, though.

It might be political grandstanding to you. To many of us, he is making himself loud and clear for the benefit of all of us, unlike only himself,  like some of you opt to believe.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 07:32:24 pm »
It might be political grandstanding to you. To many of us, he is making himself loud and clear for the benefit of all of us, unlike only himself,  like some of you opt to believe.

He is saying what you want to hear.

Cruz had you convinced that he would be able to defund Obamacare.  He didn't tell you how he intended to get that done, and even admitted--after the shutdown was over--that he knew going in he would lose.

If that's not grandstanding, I don't know what else you'd call it.

Offline happyg

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 07:39:42 pm »
He is saying what you want to hear.

Cruz had you convinced that he would be able to defund Obamacare.  He didn't tell you how he intended to get that done, and even admitted--after the shutdown was over--that he knew going in he would lose.

If that's not grandstanding, I don't know what else you'd call it.

BS! He is saying what HE THINKS! I want to hear the truth, and so far, he is honest, unless you can probe otherwise. I look up to him because NONE of the GOPe has the guts to do what he is doing. They hate him, because he is the epitome of what a conservative is, and they are jealous. There is no  (good) reason for them to hate him like they do.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:58 pm »
Cruz had you convinced that he would be able to defund Obamacare. 
Where do you get that he "convinced" us of that? We all grasp that everything is an uphill battle when the Dems control the Senate.  All we hope or expect of our congressional representatives is that they do the right thing, and voting to defund Ocare is the right thing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 07:47:10 pm »
Where do you get that he "convinced" us of that? We all grasp that everything is an uphill battle when the Dems control the Senate.  All we hope or expect of our congressional representatives is that they do the right thing, and voting to defund Ocare is the right thing.

:amen: Cruz is not God, but he is doing God's work, like Christians are supposed to do. He can only try, and if no one backs him, then, it is our loss. The GOP doesn't get it.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 07:52:09 pm »
Watching the media spin like a top today. I got to thinking that there is no one so weak-minded as to support this fool Obama at this stage. For the first time in many, many years I popped over to the pithole of hell DU to see if they had any reasonable thoughts.

I found this first thing and left immediately

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10024597448

They despise the tea party and make fun of them almost as bad as the establishment and act like 12 year olds.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:53:35 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »
What is Cruz justification for getting the US into an international conflict, versus letting other regions resolve their own affairs?

Did or did not the Ukrainians oust their elected government?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 08:02:55 pm »

I read right on here that, if all the Republicans had just voted with Cruz, Obama would have agreed to defund Obamacare.

And why would he undertake a battle that he knew, going in, he was going to lose? 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 08:08:22 pm »
What is Cruz justification for getting the US into an international conflict, versus letting other regions resolve their own affairs?

Did or did not the Ukrainians oust their elected government?

Reading comprehension is helpful. He said out of the G8.  Calling said that was nuts. Then Rubio and others said the same thing.  Today the G7 cancelled the next G8 meeting.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 08:16:48 pm »
I read right on here that, if all the Republicans had just voted with Cruz, Obama would have agreed to defund Obamacare.

Sure ya did.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 08:20:27 pm »

And why would he undertake a battle that he knew, going in, he was going to lose? 

... because many of us are tired of the political games, the maneuvering and the "pretend" votes.  We want their votes on issues important to us ON RECORD, so we can vote accordingly next election.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 08:40:21 pm »
Cruz is getting to be a publicity hound.  Didn't appreciate his jumping into the arms of Kristin Gillibrand on the sexual assault issue in the military and don't appreciate his jumping in on this Ukraine issue.

He is a half term senator with NO world view or experience in the geo political arena.

Would he be calling us to arms?  Ukraine is asking for military help from other countries.  Would he commit American troops?  UN troops?

Just bashing Obama without a serious understanding of the issue is mere posturing.

Sorry to say, I had hopes for this man's run for the presidency.   No longer.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 09:15:55 pm »
... because many of us are tired of the political games, the maneuvering and the "pretend" votes.  We want their votes on issues important to us ON RECORD, so we can vote accordingly next election.

Voting to defund Obamacare when you know you're going to lose is about as "pretend" a vote as I can think of.