Author Topic: The Congressman Who Went Off The Grid  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
The Congressman Who Went Off The Grid
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:36:34 PM »

When Roscoe Bartlett was in Congress, he latched onto a particularly apocalyptic issue, one almost no one else ever seemed to talk about: America’s dangerously vulnerable power grid. In speech after late-night speech on the House floor, Bartlett hectored the nearly empty chamber: If the United States doesn’t do something to protect the grid, and soon, a terrorist or an act of nature will put an end to life as we know it.

Bartlett loved to conjure doomsday visions: Think post-Sandy New York City without power—but spread over a much larger area for months at a time. He once recounted a conversation he claimed to have had with unnamed Russian officials about how they could take out the United States: They would “detonate a nuclear weapon high above your country,” he recalled them saying, “and shut down your power grid—and your communications—for six months or so.”

Bartlett never gained much traction with his scary talk of electromagnetic pulses and solar storms. More immediate concerns always seemed to preoccupy his colleagues, or perhaps Bartlett’s obsessions just sounded more like quackery than real science, even coming from a former Navy engineer who had worked on the space race. Whatever the reason, Congress’s failure to act is no longer Bartlett’s problem. The octogenarian Republican from western Maryland—more than once labeled “the oddest congressman”—found himself gerrymandered out of office a year ago and promptly decided to take action on the warnings others wouldn’t heed, retreating to a remote property in the mountains of West Virginia where he lives with no phone service, no connection to outside power and no municipal plumbing. Having failed to safeguard the power grid for the rest of the country, Bartlett has taken himself completely off the grid. He has finally done what he pleaded in vain for others to do: “to become,” as he put it in a 2009 documentary, “independent of the system.”

I visited Bartlett this past fall, following a set of maze-like directions—take a series of different forks in the road and look for the one paved driveway that turns off a narrow, rocky dirt road—as I climbed to nearly 4,000 feet, one of the highest U.S. elevations east of the Rocky Mountains. I lost cell phone service halfway into the four-hour drive from Washington and never got it back. The nearest shopping mall is more than an hour’s drive away.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/roscoe-bartlett-congressman-off-the-grid-101720.html#.UxKX0Xys9PI
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: The Congressman Who Went Off The Grid
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »
MY Congressman, Thomas Massie (R) Kentucky, lives off the grid and has built an absolutely awesome home almost 100% by himself using timber from his property.  Two pictures below, but you should follow this link to see some more AMAZING pictures!  He's a Tea Party guy too!

http://www.dailypaul.com/294851/rep-thomas-massie-r3vol-mit-grad-engineer-public-servants-home-needs-to-sell-a-diy-off-the-grid-homestead-guide

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
Amazing pictures

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:42:16 PM »
He is an amazing guy.  I hope he stays in politics, I think he's got a very bright future.  I'm thrilled to have him as my Congressman!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:41:59 AM »
He is an amazing guy.  I hope he stays in politics, I think he's got a very bright future.  I'm thrilled to have him as my Congressman!

I would add a gate at the end of that winding driveway.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:27:18 AM »
I would add a gate at the end of that winding driveway.

Me too.  And a bunch of big dogs.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »
Good lord, what I wouldn't do for this kind of skill.
I am not a conservative.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »
Good lord, what I wouldn't do for this kind of skill.

Me too WTF! 

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »
WOW

now THAT's a house.

I assume he had an occupation before he went into politics.  Someone with those skills will always have work.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »
WOW

now THAT's a house.

I assume he had an occupation before he went into politics.  Someone with those skills will always have work.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Massie

Thomas Massie was born in Huntington, West Virginia. He grew up in Vanceburg, Kentucky, and met his future wife, Rhonda. He earned a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a master's degree in mechanical engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.[3]

In 1993, at MIT, he and his wife started a company called SensAble Devices Inc.[4][5] Massie was the winner in 1995 of the $30,000 Lemelson-MIT Student Prize for inventors.[3] The company was re-incorporated as SensAble Technologies, Inc., in 1996 after partner Bill Aulet joined the company.[4] They raised $32 million of venture capital, had 24 different patents, and 70 other employees.[6]

Massie sold the company, and he and his wife moved back to their hometown in Lewis County. They raised their children on a farm,[5][7] where he built his own off-the-grid timberframe house.[8]

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
This is the type of person the FF expected to have come to D.C., serve their country, then go back to their own productive lives.

He certainly is impressive!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »
This is the type of person the FF expected to have come to D.C., serve their country, then go back to their own productive lives.

He certainly is impressive!

:thumbsup:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf