Author Topic: How to Build a 14X14 Solar Cabin Off The Grid for $2K....  (Read 2048 times)

Offline DCPatriot

How to Build a 14X14 Solar Cabin Off The Grid for $2K....
« on: March 01, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »

How to build a nice small cabin powered by solar panels. Lamar Alexander built this cute little 400 square foot cabin for approximately $2000, and powers it with a 570 watt solar and wind power system. The whole system is very inexpensive, and the best part is he is mortgage free. Very cool little cabin. I’d be proud to build something like this myself, and call it home.

http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/

“…This cabin is 14×14 with a full loft and approximately 400 square feet of living space. Downstairs is Kitchen, Bathroom, Dining and Living area. Upstairs is a large Bedroom and Office. There is enough room for 6 people to sleep comfortably. Power system is 580 watts Solar electric and 400 Watts wind power which powers a 12 volt fridge, lights, water pump, TV’s, laptop and many gadgets. Heat source can be propane or wood stove. Toilet is composting or a septic tank system…”

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qghZ2ao7GKM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qghZ2ao7GKM</a>

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"I am responsible for what I say.  I am not responsible for what your understand."  ...me

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: How to Build a 14X14 Solar Cabin Off The Grid for $2K....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »
If you had a piece of land, that would be a great escape cabin.  Dig a well and you could be completely off the grid. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
If you had a piece of land, that would be a great escape cabin.  Dig a well and you could be completely off the grid.

But if you forget to pay your property tax...
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • French entertainment is a waste of mime.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 07:33:14 PM »
Only changes I might make to it:

Spend an extra couple hundred and make the toilet itself as a little room off the cabin, maybe to the side of the back door. Gives you more room on the ground floor.

Don't line up the front and back doors. Better for ventilation and not having your stuff blowing everywhere. Offsetting the back door means you have space for a decent stove and can run the pipe straight up to heat the bedroom.

Storm stays in the tops of the corner posts and well planted retainers in the ground if needed. You wouldn't need the cables all the time, they can be looped and hung on the wall or stashed under the porch when not needed.

Neat idea though!
Anyone who tells you you can't buy happiness has never been in a book store or an animal shelter.

You are the result of 3 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »
Only changes I might make to it:

Spend an extra couple hundred and make the toilet itself as a little room off the cabin, maybe to the side of the back door. Gives you more room on the ground floor.

Don't line up the front and back doors. Better for ventilation and not having your stuff blowing everywhere. Offsetting the back door means you have space for a decent stove and can run the pipe straight up to heat the bedroom.

Storm stays in the tops of the corner posts and well planted retainers in the ground if needed. You wouldn't need the cables all the time, they can be looped and hung on the wall or stashed under the porch when not needed.

Neat idea though!

I own about 230 acres of off-grid timbered property in northern Wisconsin.  I just had several timber companies look at a controlled harvest of the timber.  It has about 70% maple, some furniture grade cherry and oak.  About 10 years ago, I purchased the final 40 acre piece and it has a 12x16 building that an old bachelor built in the 30's from poles he cut from the woods.  In its case, it is located in a beautiful, mature stand of Norway pine.  It is square, solid and plumb.  I renovated it into a bunk house.  I have propane heat (might add wood) and I built a loft that has 4 single beds.  Downstairs I added a very nice, classy futon that opens to a double bed.  The stairs start against one wall and head up towards the peak on the next wall.  I added a dormer off the one roof for more light and standing room.  I also have an encased, hand-pump well.  It is very similar to this in the picture but without the solar stuff and porch. Outdoor privy. 

I love it.  It could easily be adapted to an off-grid home. 

I also have a two bedroom cabin on the next 40 with a pump house (water tank in attic), kitchen (with gas refrigerator) and bathroom.

I am a north woods boy at heart.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:34:35 PM by Lando Lincoln »
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 11:04:24 PM »
I own about 230 acres of off-grid timbered property in northern Wisconsin.  I just had several timber companies look at a controlled harvest of the timber.  It has about 70% maple, some furniture grade cherry and oak.  About 10 years ago, I purchased the final 40 acre piece and it has a 12x16 building that an old bachelor built in the 30's from poles he cut from the woods.  In its case, it is located in a beautiful, mature stand of Norway pine.  It is square, solid and plumb.  I renovated it into a bunk house.  I have propane heat (might add wood) and I built a loft that has 4 single beds.  Downstairs I added a very nice, classy futon that opens to a double bed.  The stairs start against one wall and head up towards the peak on the next wall.  I added a dormer off the one roof for more light and standing room.  I also have an encased, hand-pump well.  It is very similar to this in the picture but without the solar stuff and porch. Outdoor privy. 

I also have a two bedroom cabin on the next 40 with a pump house (water tank in attic), kitchen (with gas refrigerator) and bathroom.

Wow!  Sounds great, Lando!   :beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"I am responsible for what I say.  I am not responsible for what your understand."  ...me

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »
Wow!  Sounds great, Lando!   :beer:

It really is, but it is not for everyone.  Very Rustic.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • #ToldYouSo
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »

Could I get some of that furniture grade wood off you?  Seriously.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »
Hi O - it will be in logs going to a sawmill. It will be cut in about a year. My timber is such that the ground does not need to be frozen so I expect it to be cut in spring.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 01:39:23 AM »
I'm way too urban.

I'd settle for nothing less than this:

http://www.viralnova.com/tiny-house-movement-cabin/

Homeboy gotta have his comfort.
“[Euthanasia] is what any State medical service has sooner or later got to face. If you are going to be kept alive in institutions run by and paid for by the State, you must accept the State’s right to economize when necessary …” The Ministry of Fear by Graham Green (New York: Penguin Books [1943] 2005, p. 165).

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • There's no one out there quite like me.
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »
But if you forget to pay your property tax...
Gazoo, I know you're no longer a member of the board, but there are states that have homestead exemptions, and a house of that size in such cases could easily be completely exempt.
"Just because people in positions of authority are stupid, it doesn’t mean you have to go along with it." —Arlo Guthrie

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • #ToldYouSo
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
I'm way too urban.

I'd settle for nothing less than this:

http://www.viralnova.com/tiny-house-movement-cabin/

Homeboy gotta have his comfort.

sweet!

Offline AbaraXas

• Просто никто
  • Social Media Advisor
  • Просто никто
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »

I wouldn't mind one in the back yard to get away from the wife for those occasions when.... Oh wait, I mean to have a nice quiet office at home to work at and not be disturbed... I mean to keep out of my wonderful wife's hair.
Никогда не обманывайте себя мыслью, что вы «влияете» или вносите изменения в Интернет. Это эфемерное удовольствие.

Offline aligncare

• Congrats Donald Trump! 45th POTUS!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »
I retire soon ... an ESCAPE on the beach looks pretty good to me -- South Carolina maybe.   :0001:
Some #NeverTrumpers are like the pockets of Japanese who didn't know the war was over

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • French entertainment is a waste of mime.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
I retire soon ... an ESCAPE on the beach looks pretty good to me -- South Carolina maybe.   :0001:

Can I suggest off the beach? You can pick up an ocean going tug or a trawler for under 30k.
Anyone who tells you you can't buy happiness has never been in a book store or an animal shelter.

You are the result of 3 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline WorkingClassFilth

• Proverbs 3: 5,6
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »
That would be a nice playhouse. He violates quite a few building practices and I wouldn't expect that structure to go for the long haul without serious problems.

Just sayin.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf