Author Topic: Daughter’s Facebook boast costs former Gulliver Prep headmaster $80,000 discrimination settlement  (Read 735 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
[float=left][/float]By David Smiley for The Miami Herald

A court tosses a Gulliver headmaster’s confidential settlement with school after his daughter boasts about it in post.

Hey kids, file this one under things not to do on Facebook.

The Third District Court of Appeal tossed out an $80,000 discrimination settlement Wednesday between Gulliver Preparatory School and its former headmaster Patrick Snay, ruling the ex-employee and his daughter breached the terms of a confidential agreement when she took to social media to brag about it.

“Mama and Papa Snay won the case against Gulliver,” Oceander Snay posted days later to her 1,200 Facebook friends. “Gulliver is now officially paying for my vacation to Europe this summer. SUCK IT.”

The post, seen by current and former Gulliver students, made its way back to the school’s attorneys, who told the Snays they’d violated the deal. Patrick Snay last year won a Circuit Court ruling to enforce the deal, but Judge Linda Ann Wells overturned that decision Wednesday.

“Snay violated the agreement by doing exactly what he had promised not to do,” Wells wrote. “His daughter then did precisely what the confidentiality agreement was designed to prevent.”

The case originated in 2010 when Gulliver declined to renew Snay’s contract following years of employment. Snay, now 69, claimed age discrimination and retaliation that involved his daughter, a student at the school.

Gulliver settled the case in November of 2011 and agreed to pay checks of $10,000 in back wages, another $60,000 to Snay’s attorneys, and an $80,000 settlement to Snay. The terms hinged on a confidentiality agreement that according to Wells required Snay and his wife to keep the “terms and existence” of the agreement private.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/26/3961605/daughters-facebook-boast-costs.html#storylink=cpy
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Yearly tuition at Gulliver Prep in Miami runs $24,500.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander