Author Topic: Kansas to Massachusetts: Up to a Foot of Snow to Fall Across 1,300 Miles  (Read 1969 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/longduration-snow-awaits-midwe/23778975

Kansas to Massachusetts: Up to a Foot of Snow to Fall Across 1,300 Miles

By Alex Sosnowski, Expert Senior Meteorologist
February 28, 2014; 7:43 AM

Weather Experts Evan Myers and Elliot Abrams discuss the upcoming storm.

March may not come in like a lion everywhere across the nation, but winter will roar during the first several days of the month and impact more than 100 million people.

Snow will expand from the northern Rockies and central Plains to portions of the Midwest this weekend, reaching the Northeast early next week.

The adverse winter conditions will develop Friday into Saturday over the Plains and is forecast to shift slowly eastward Sunday and Monday.

Snowfall from the cross-country storm will exceed 1,500 miles on its journey. There is the potential for more than 6 inches of snow to fall along a 1,300-mile stretch from Topeka, Kan., to Kansas City, Mo.; Peoria, Ill.; Indianapolis; Columbus, Ohio; Pittsburgh; Philadelphia;

New York City; Hartford, Conn.; Providence, R.I.; and Boston. Some locations along this swath could end up with a foot of snow or more.

continued...

[yep, that's me]
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Re: Kansas to Massachusetts: Up to a Foot of Snow to Fall Across 1,300 Miles
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »
Southerners should come north to learn how to drive on snow and ice. They would get a lot of practice I am so sick of looking at the white stuff. I sure don't want a foot or more, but imagine we will get close to a foot before it's done. The weather report here calls for snow every day until Monday evening.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:21:38 pm »

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:22:45 pm »
Love that! Good ol Lucy!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:36 pm »
Yeah, I'm in that blue part of the map, too.  Can't take much more of this ...   **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:46:28 pm »
I've already lost 4 days of classes this term due to snow.  It looks like we'll be out again on Monday.  And did I mention IT'S COLD?!  I'M SICK OF THE FRIGGIN' COLD!!!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 07:48:06 pm »
I've already lost 4 days of classes this term due to snow.  It looks like we'll be out again on Monday.  And did I mention IT'S COLD?!  I'M SICK OF THE FRIGGIN' COLD!!!

I had to start running air-conditioning this week.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »
Yeah, I'm in that blue part of the map, too.  Can't take much more of this ...   **nononono*

Me too.

And me too.

Yesterday the wind was so bitterly cold that I could barely stand it and it went down well below zero last night.

I'm about to go out and buy an SUV to get some global warming started!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:02:08 pm »
It is still on the early side, depending on the movement (or lack thereof) of that Upper Level Low sitting on top of SE Canada, this storm may be suppressed South and greatly weakened by the time it moves across into PA.

You can see this monster off the CA coast in the Water Vapor Imagery above.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:04:55 pm by katzenjammer »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 08:03:47 pm »
I had to start running air-conditioning this week.

Rubbin' our face in it Rap?  How cruel.   8888crybaby
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 08:05:07 pm »

Oh quit complaining. You're going to be in glorious, WARM Canyon Lake in a couple of weeks.  :beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »
Rubbin' our face in it Rap?  How cruel.   8888crybaby

We are supposed to get rain today through Sunday - hope we do, it's badly needed. Terrible flooding in SoCal today and the area that experienced the fires in January are evacuated again due to chances of mud slides...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 08:09:10 pm »
It is still on the early side, depending on the movement (or lack thereof) of that Upper Level Low sitting on top of SE Canada, this storm may be suppressed South and greatly weakened by the time it moves across into PA.

You can see this monster off the CA coast in the Water Vapor Imagery above.

Uhh ohh there is a hurricane looking eye formation on the left- the weather channel will name it now.

Everyone here has colds/sinus sickness because it is 80 then it is below zero, then just cold with snow and ice, then sunny 70 degree days. It is nuts I have had to switch between AC and heat all winter.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:13:29 pm »
Gazoo -- they DID name it!!!  When I woke to clouds instead of sunshine this morning I turned on the weather channel and they were discussing this storm and using a name for it -  I was in the process of getting out the lawn blower to get all the danged leaves off the patio before letting my dogs out (don't want the leaves tracked in the house) and darn near tripped over the cord as I swung around to see if I was really hearing them right -- and yep they named this rainstorm bearing down on us.. never in my life have I heard winter rainstorms over California and AZ named!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 08:18:58 pm »
Uhh ohh there is a hurricane looking eye formation on the left- the weather channel will name it now.

Everyone here has colds/sinus sickness because it is 80 then it is below zero, then just cold with snow and ice, then sunny 70 degree days. It is nuts I have had to switch between AC and heat all winter.

LOL, I am sure they have their scary sounding name picked out already for it!!  That formation that you see is testament to the strength of that Low (currently 976 mb)!!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »
Gazoo -- they DID name it!!!  When I woke to clouds instead of sunshine this morning I turned on the weather channel and they were discussing this storm and using a name for it -  I was in the process of getting out the lawn blower to get all the danged leaves off the patio before letting my dogs out (don't want the leaves tracked in the house) and darn near tripped over the cord as I swung around to see if I was really hearing them right -- and yep they named this rainstorm bearing down on us.. never in my life have I heard winter rainstorms over California and AZ named!

LOL!  I had to look, at weather.com the first thing that I saw was: TITAN: Heavy Snow, Ice Threatens Millions!!!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:53:15 pm »
Titan, really?

"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline raml

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 08:55:15 pm »
We are in the gray are so will wait and see how much we actually get. I have loved most of this winter just the really cold days were bad to me but I don't live up north anymore. Where I grew up in Michigan had a real bad winter and my sister and my daughter are sick of it. Jan said she shoveled 40 times so far this year and that was 2 weeks ago. I hope this is the last snow my son just started working at home with his job so he said he doesn't care now that he doesn't have to be out in it. We have had a week of school days off here more for the cold than for snow. My grandkids liked that.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 09:17:11 pm »
Titan, really?

Yep, Titan for a normal seasonal storm that appears to be what we used to refer to as the pineapple express.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 09:20:47 pm »
They've been hammered in Great Britain, too.  Nevertheless, we see this idiocy from the Kansas City Star:
...   Using information from around the globe, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration lays out compelling climate change evidence from the last century:

• Global surface temperatures are rising.

• The index ranking extreme weather events in the United States is at its highest level in 100 years. (Think polar vortex.)

• Sea levels are rising; oceans are getting warmer.

• Glacier volume is shrinking dramatically.

In a report this week, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the Royal Society of the United Kingdom said carbon dioxide greenhouse gases are at their highest levels in 800,000 years, caused by burning fossil fuels.   :silly:

Finally, there’s actually much consensus on what some effects of climate change will be. Many  are catastrophic, including more drought in America’s breadbasket and elsewhere in the world and more acidic oceans, leading to fish kills.

These facts must be valuable wake-up calls that lead to changes in how the U.S. and the world produce energy. Renewables can reduce the harm caused by fossil fuels.  ...

Newsflash for the Star:
Calls from environmentalists and lawmakers to cut carbon dioxide emissions to fight global warming would do nothing to stop global temperatures from rising, according to American and British climate scientists.

In fact, completely stopping all man-made carbon emissions would do nothing to stop the Earth from warming.  ...
More at the Daily Caller.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 09:43:52 pm »
wish I had more salt left

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Oh quit complaining. You're going to be in glorious, WARM Canyon Lake in a couple of weeks.  :beer:

With any luck, just in time for the bluebonnets.

Offline R4 TrumPence

Same here! I don't know how to dress, when I leave in during the day it is nice, then as the sun goes down, wind and cold!

We have to keep our air on in the winter here...LOL  We are on the top floor and all the heat rises and keeps us at 74 inside, which I can't deal with!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02