Author Topic: Federal audit calls new schools lunch rules a failure  (Read 1548 times)

rangerrebew

Federal audit calls new schools lunch rules a failure
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:30:48 pm »

Federal audit calls new school lunch rules a failure

By Stephen Dinan

The Washington Times

Thursday, February 27, 2014

The federal government's changes to school lunch menus have been disastrous, causing problems for cafeterias trying to comply with the rules and leaving the menu so expensive or unpalatable that more than 1 million students have stopped buying lunch, according to a government audit released Thursday.

One school district told federal investigators that it had to add unhealthy pudding and potato chips to its menu to meet the government's minimum calorie requirements. Other school districts removed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from their elementary school menus.

Five of the eight school districts surveyed by the Government Accountability Office, the official watchdog for Congress, said they believed students were going hungry because of smaller entree portions demanded by the rules.

Cafeterias regularly reported finding fruits and vegetables, which they are required to serve, ending up in trash cans. Although no studies have been completed, the government has found an increase in what it calls plate waste in some districts.

Despite the hiccups, school food authorities said they generally support the nutritional changes and think the menus are moving in the right direction.

"Although school lunch participation has declined, it is likely that participation will improve over time as students adjust to the lunch changes," GAO investigators said.

"Five of the districts we visited reported that, if the past is an indicator, participation will improve over time as students adjust to the new food items, and three noted the importance of nutrition education for students and parents to help make the transition to healthier school meals more successful," they said.

Neither the Agriculture Department, which wrote the rules, nor the office of first lady Michelle Obama, who has made school nutrition a priority, responded to messages seeking comment on the report.

GAO investigators said Agriculture Department officials generally agreed with the report's recommendations, though the two sides disagreed on whether the department is able to properly monitor whether districts are complying with the rules.

Lunch trays are required to have at least a half-cup of fruits or vegetables, and milk must contain no more than 1 percent fat. The rules also ban trans fats and set higher minimum calorie levels for each student meal.

After the standards went into effect in the 2012-13 school year, the GAO said, the number of students buying school lunches — which had been on a steady increase — dropped by a total of 1.2 million students.

GAO investigators talked with students and found that some ended up buying food from vending machines or from a la carte lines in the cafeteria, or went off campus to eat.

One of the school districts that investigators analyzed said it stopped allowing students to eat off campus.

"With a closed campus policy, students are required to stay on the school campus during the lunch period, which increases the likelihood that they will participate in the school lunch program," investigators concluded.

GAO investigators said 321 school districts dropped out of the school lunch program altogether in the previous year, and many did so to avoid the mandates.

"Some of the stuff we had to offer, they wouldn't eat," Superintendent Gary Lewis in Catlin, Ill., told The Associated Press last year. "So you sit there and watch the kids, and you know they're hungry at the end of the day, and that led to some behavior and some lack of attentiveness."

Investigators said schools reported a number of problems implementing the standards. Some districts said switching from canned to fresh produce meant they had to have more frequent shipments — and that meant an increased likelihood of workplace injuries because of extra unloading and lifting.

"Staff in one [school food authority] noted that the increased amount of time and effort to prepare fruits and vegetables also led to morale issues when staff saw students throw the fruits and vegetables in the trash," the investigators said.

Some schools also said they had to buy spoons and ladles to adjust to the new portion sizes.

The GAO said the eight districts it visited were Caddo Parish Public Schools in Louisiana, Carlisle Area School District in Pennsylvania, Chicago Public Schools, Coeur d'Alene School District in Idaho, Irving Independent School District in Texas, Mukwonago Area School District in Wisconsin, Spokane Public Schools in Washington, and Fairfax County Public Schools in Virginia.

The report didn't specify which district added pudding and potato chips to its menu to meet calorie guidelines

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/27/federal-audit-calls-new-school-lunch-rules-a-failu/#ixzz2uch6bxHM
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline happyg

Re: Federal audit calls new schools lunch rules a failure
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:34:16 pm »
There wasn't a cafeteria in my school. There was a parochial school across the street that we were allowed to use. Most of us either went home for lunch, or brought our own. My kids preferred sacked lunches except on pizza day. They got their meals for breakfast and dinner, and we didn't rely on the schools for nutrition. That was our jobs.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:37:42 pm »
Lunch trays are required to have at least a half-cup of fruits or vegetables, and milk must contain no more than 1 percent fat.
I seem to recall that children need fat in their diets for brain health, which is why babies shouldn't be fed skim milk. I don't see how 8 oz. of whole milk per day is going to harm them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »
Perhaps, for Moochelle, this is a subtle form after birth abortion where the brain is aborted instead of the person. :whistle:

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 04:55:38 pm »
There wasn't a cafeteria in my school. There was a parochial school across the street that we were allowed to use. Most of us either went home for lunch, or brought our own. My kids preferred sacked lunches except on pizza day. They got their meals for breakfast and dinner, and we didn't rely on the schools for nutrition. That was our jobs.

I walked home for lunch too.  Five miles, in the snow, uphill both ways. 

That line never worked with my kids after we moved back home.  One grandma lived a block from the school, the other, two blocks. LOL

The joys of a small town, many of the kids still go home every day.  The only catch is not very many walk anymore.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 07:03:30 pm »
I seem to recall that children need fat in their diets for brain health, which is why babies shouldn't be fed skim milk. I don't see how 8 oz. of whole milk per day is going to harm them.

You're correct and low or no fat salad dressing doesn't allow you to absorb vit k.. and low or no fat harms the gallbladder.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:58:21 pm »
"leaving the menu so expensive or unpalatable that more than 1 million students have stopped buying lunch"

Unpalatable is the perfect word.   My 12 years old hates when he has to buy lunch.  We even use it as a punishment when he forgets to bring home his lunch box. "Well, I guess you have to buy lunch tomorrow”, which always results in a protest by him.

I’m looking at the lunch menu for March right now and here is a sample of what the first choices are.  2nd choices are most often chicken nuggets or a salad.

Monday   - Fiesta Bean & Cheese Burrito    (no meat)

Tuesday – Cheese Pizza   (no meat)

Wednesday – Peanut Butter & Jam Sandwich   (pre-packaged round sandwiches that taste nothing like what you get at home )

Thursday – Cheesy Sticks

Friday – Yogart Bowl with Corn Muffin & Sunflower Seeds
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:07:22 pm »
cheesy sticks?

Reading your menu it looks like they are trying to constipate all the students so they won't need bathroom breaks.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:14 pm »
I use to love school lunches back in the 60s & 70s. There are even web sites that discuss the old menus and look for and share recipes with others.   I don’t think there was a lunch that I didn’t like. 
 With 5 kids my parents could not always afford to give us lunch money even at 35 cents so often I had to take lunch from home in my Rat Patrol lunch box.    But for two years while my dad was recovering from a 33 foot fall at work the school gave our family free lunches, and I was in heaven.    Back then free or reduced lunches was a rarity.   

Here are just a few of my favorites back then.  @ 1968

Beef gravy  (with chunks of beef in it) with mash potatoes, green beans, Jell-O, milk

Turkey gravy  (with chunks of turkey in it) with mash potatoes, peas, pudding, milk

Bowl of Chili,  Corn Bread, Cinnamon roll,  milk

Pan Pizza, corn, fruit salad, milk

Chili-Mac, corn, Jell-O, Milk

Wrapped Dogs, green beans, Pudding, milk
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:23:13 pm »
"leaving the menu so expensive or unpalatable that more than 1 million students have stopped buying lunch"

Unpalatable is the perfect word.   My 12 years old hates when he has to buy lunch.  We even use it as a punishment when he forgets to bring home his lunch box. "Well, I guess you have to buy lunch tomorrow”, which always results in a protest by him.

I’m looking at the lunch menu for March right now and here is a sample of what the first choices are.  2nd choices are most often chicken nuggets or a salad.

Monday   - Fiesta Bean & Cheese Burrito    (no meat)

Tuesday – Cheese Pizza   (no meat)

Wednesday – Peanut Butter & Jam Sandwich   (pre-packaged round sandwiches that taste nothing like what you get at home )

Thursday – Cheesy Sticks

Friday – Yogart Bowl with Corn Muffin & Sunflower Seeds

That is sad. Friday was ALWAYS pizza or fish day when my kids were in school.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 08:28:22 pm »
I use to love school lunches back in the 60s & 70s. There are even web sites that discuss the old menus and look for and share recipes with others.   I don’t think there was a lunch that I didn’t like. 
 With 5 kids my parents could not always afford to give us lunch money even at 35 cents so often I had to take lunch from home in my Rat Patrol lunch box.    But for two years while my dad was recovering from a 33 foot fall at work the school gave our family free lunches, and I was in heaven.    Back then free or reduced lunches was a rarity.   

Here are just a few of my favorites back then.  @ 1968

Beef gravy  (with chunks of beef in it) with mash potatoes, green beans, Jell-O, milk

Turkey gravy  (with chunks of turkey in it) with mash potatoes, peas, pudding, milk

Bowl of Chili,  Corn Bread, Cinnamon roll,  milk

Pan Pizza, corn, fruit salad, milk

Chili-Mac, corn, Jell-O, Milk

Wrapped Dogs, green beans, Pudding, milk

Yep.. I vividly remember the lunches back then - no sack lunch for me, I loved our hot lunches at school. At morning break we could also purchase home-made pastries which were delicious.. and we were not fat!!!!   

Offline raml

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 08:46:00 pm »
I went to a private schools with no cafeteria. The first 6 years I walked home for lunch we were 1 blk shy of being a mile so couldn't stay at school for lunch. I loved going home for lunch had friends to walk with so was fun. Then we moved to another state and we were over a mile so I did take sack lunches. In high school we were allowed to go into town to eat at the restaurants. We loved going to Watson's across the street. Public schools were not allowed to just our school since the owners said we acted like adults it was a priviledge not a right so we were careful to not act up. My kids growing up preferred sack lunches most of the time except for Fridays there was pizza and it was good according to them and once  in awhile on days they thought the food sounded edible. I am a great cook so the school had an impossible job of pleasing my children. I was never overweight nor were my children ever overweight and they were very very healthy so never had to worry about what nutrition they were getting since they got all they needed from our home I cooked well balanced meals as my mother had.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:49:32 pm »
"and we were not fat!!!!   "

I was a skinny kid even with all that food, plus what I got at home.    I use to put my Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, Captain Crunch, and whatever in small mixing bowls because the normal breakfast bowls were not big enough for me. Learned that trick from Jethro (Beverly Hillbillies). It drove my mom crazy .     I would drink chocolate syrup  straight from the can. Just a few sips mind ya.  Homemade cake seemed to be always available. If not at our house, then at one of my friends. And we had a Hostess discount store a couple of miles away that my parents would fill a stand alone freezer full of  day old fruit pies, ding-dongs, twinkies, etc. Seemed to be always something available in that freezer to snack on.    I didn’t become overweight until my mid 20s after I got out of the Navy. I was a driver at Dominos for several months, and that did it.

Offline happyg

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 09:02:44 pm »
Middle school had a cafeteria, and students would take turns working and would get a free meal in return. We also were permitted to eat elsewhere,  and all the food places were within walking distance,  so we ate what we wanted.

Though I went to a public school, we would have macaroni and cheese, or fish on Fridays out of respect. We didn't mind because it was homemade and fresh fish. Good stuff!

rangerrebew

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:10 pm »
I wonder if schools are allowed to serve pork?  I'll bet not.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 09:13:31 pm »
I wonder if schools are allowed to serve pork?  I'll bet not.
No pork, and their idea of a serving of meat (lean turkey only, if you can get it) is 1 ounce or less.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 09:14:56 pm »
"and we were not fat!!!!   "

I was a skinny kid even with all that food, plus what I got at home.    I use to put my Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, Captain Crunch, and whatever in small mixing bowls because the normal breakfast bowls were not big enough for me. Learned that trick from Jethro (Beverly Hillbillies). It drove my mom crazy .     I would drink chocolate syrup  straight from the can. Just a few sips mind ya.  Homemade cake seemed to be always available. If not at our house, then at one of my friends. And we had a Hostess discount store a couple of miles away that my parents would fill a stand alone freezer full of  day old fruit pies, ding-dongs, twinkies, etc. Seemed to be always something available in that freezer to snack on.    I didn’t become overweight until my mid 20s after I got out of the Navy. I was a driver at Dominos for several months, and that did it.

I never gained weight until after I had my hysterectomy - until then I barely broke 110 and I'm 5'6"... After school (where I had the hot lunch and pasteries) we used to go to my friends house because her mom was always home and the mom would make us big sandwiches as a snack, sometimes I ate dinner there and then again at home... I just didn't gain weight and was very active riding horses, bikes, skiing, etc..

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 09:20:09 pm »
I never gained weight until after I had my hysterectomy - until then I barely broke 110 and I'm 5'6"...

What is up with this? Obviously hormones. I always wondered if it was just estrogen taking women that still gained weight and Suzanne Summers and that DOC show on in the afternoons is correct about us needing DHEA or whatever?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 09:50:22 pm »
It took an actual audit to realize this fact?  seriously?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 10:21:36 pm »

I thought the food at school was good, especially the pizza.  We ate plenty of food when we were kids and candy too - BUT - we played from daybreak to dusk non-stop in the summer outside, until our parents had to drag us in for a bath at night.  We walked to school, walked to the corner store after school to buy candy or popsicles and then walked home.  At recess, we ran outside to play - just couldn't run enough!  We were always active and we were all skinny.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 11:16:30 pm »
We ate plenty of food when we were kids and candy too - BUT - we played from daybreak to dusk non-stop in the summer outside, until our parents had to drag us in for a bath at night.  We walked to school, walked to the corner store after school to buy candy or popsicles and then walked home.  At recess, we ran outside to play - just couldn't run enough!  We were always active and we were all skinny.

So true!  We were ALWAYS moving...biking, swimming.. building snow forts.  It was great fun and healthy too!

Now kids are in front of a computer screen or television  **nononono*

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 12:43:59 am »
What is up with this? Obviously hormones. I always wondered if it was just estrogen taking women that still gained weight and Suzanne Summers and that DOC show on in the afternoons is correct about us needing DHEA or whatever?

I take DHEA.  My dogs are female, never gained any weight until I had then spayed.   It's the lack of ovaries.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 12:45:51 am »
So true!  We were ALWAYS moving...biking, swimming.. building snow forts.  It was great fun and healthy too!

That is a big part of it, I also suspect the hormones used to make chickens, cows, pigs grow faster are involved, the hormones are absorbed in the fat cells and we ingest it when we eat the meat.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 01:14:35 am »

I think kids can't be kids nowadays.. Ever since the movie Adam, there has been this rush to overprotect the kids.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

rangerrebew

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 02:13:20 pm »

Did they have the same company who wrote the Obamacare website do the audit?  Got to spend that taxpayer money somehow.