Author Topic: Attorney general to challenge ruling on concealed weapons  (Read 429 times)

Offline flowers

Attorney general to challenge ruling on concealed weapons
« on: February 28, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-guns-harris-20140227,0,1673022,print.story

SAN FRANCISCO —Atty. Gen. Kamala D. Harris said Thursday that she would challenge a federal appeals court ruling that would require counties to give law-abiding residents permits to carry concealed guns.

Harris’ announcement followed a decision last week by San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore, the named defendant in the case that triggered the ruling, not to appeal.

Unless overturned, the  2-1 ruling by a panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals would end a stringent restriction on carrying handguns in the state’s most populous counties. Most rural countries already allow permits if minimal requirements are met.

“Local law enforcement must be able to use their discretion to determine who can carry a concealed weapon,"  Harris said. "I will do everything possible to restore law enforcement's authority to protect public safety, and so today am calling on the court to review and reverse its decision."

Chuck Michel, a lawyer for the gun owners who challenged the restrictions, said he would oppose the state's intervention. Michel said San Diego County had repeatedly asked Harris to intervene earlier, and she had refused. He said Harris, who faces reelection, would face the wrath of gun owners.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Attorney general to challenge ruling on concealed weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 06:07:05 pm »
I hope he does!

He will get slapped down HARD!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien