Author Topic: Rand Paul to Tea Party: Watch what you say  (Read 864 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rand Paul to Tea Party: Watch what you say
« on: February 27, 2014, 08:42:37 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/199473-rand-paul-warns-conservatives-on-tone

February 27, 2014, 02:18 pm
Rand Paul to Tea Party: Watch what you say

By Cameron Joseph

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) told a gathering of Tea Party conservatives that those affiliated with the movement need to watch what they say, alluding to his recent criticism of right-wing rocker Ted Nugent.

"In order for us to be a bigger party, we have to reach out to more people, not just those of us here. It has to be a bigger party, it has to be a bigger movement," Paul said at a Tea Party Patriots event in Washington, D.C.

"There are times, and I don't think it is our movement, but there are times when people are using language that shouldn't be used," Paul said.

Paul last week in a tweet criticized Nugent's description of President Obama as a "subhuman mongrel." He said Nugent's comments were "derogatory" and "offensive."

"We can disagree with the president without calling him names," Paul said on Thursday. "I disagree almost all the time, but I don't call him names and I am polite to him when I meet him.

"I'm not saying that's our problem, I'm just saying there are people out in public who are taking away from our message and let's try not to be a part of that. ... Our message has to be a happy message, one of optimism, one of growth," he said.

The libertarian-leaning senator was speaking at an event celebrating the fifth anniversary of the Tea Party movement's founding.

Paul is a favorite of Tea Party groups but has at times sought to straddle the gap between the grassroots activists and the Republican establishment.

He also used the speech to take shots at government spending and the party establishment.

"The good news is your government's open. The bad news is your government's open and still borrowing over $1 million every minute," he joked.

He then criticized a bill that he said would eliminate "$3 million for Twiggy the water-skiing squirrel" that failed after half of Republicans voted against it.

"You would think that's low-hanging fruit ... but you'd be wrong," he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Rand Paul to Tea Party: Watch what you say
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:48:57 pm »
Paul is exactly right.  Greg Abbott was stupid for not condemning Nugent and refusing to campaign with him.

It amazes me that all those oldies like Abbott think it's cool to be hangin' with a washed-up rocker.  It looks ridiculous, frankly, especially when the rocker has a mouth like a running toilet.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:02:23 am »
Paul is right..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:09:39 am »
Sarcasm

Headline: "McCain and Rand Paul on same page, just different words."

Blunt McCain says "whacko-bird" but more nuanced Rand Paul says "watch what you say."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:24:38 am »
Sarcasm

Headline: "McCain and Rand Paul on same page, just different words."

Blunt McCain says "whacko-bird" but more nuanced Rand Paul says "watch what you say."

Hardly the same thing.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:29:29 pm »
Paul is exactly right.  Greg Abbott was stupid for not condemning Nugent and refusing to campaign with him.

It amazes me that all those oldies like Abbott think it's cool to be hangin' with a washed-up rocker.  It looks ridiculous, frankly, especially when the rocker has a mouth like a running toilet.

Oh, please. Nugent is a wild character and is not a spokesman for anyone.  Having to "condemn" every statement by every wild character even remotely identified with Conservatism makes us look weak, vapid and spineless.  I am sick and tired of the PC apologists.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:31:44 pm »
Paul needs to light up a reefer and chlll.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 07:57:47 pm »
Oh, please. Nugent is a wild character and is not a spokesman for anyone.  Having to "condemn" every statement by every wild character even remotely identified with Conservatism makes us look weak, vapid and spineless.  I am sick and tired of the PC apologists.

:amen:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:15:15 pm »

True. I really think Paul and Cruz are playing good cop, bad cop. One is firing up the base the other is using Alinsky tactics right back at the progressive media and left.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »

When the nutty bastard is standing right behind you at your own rally, Abbott appeared joined at the hip with Nugent at least at that event.  He should have condemned him sooner and not even had him in the building.

Unless, of course, you think having a pedophile make joint appearances with you is a good thing.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 09:44:37 pm »
Paul needs to light up a reefer and chlll.

Only if he invites me!

You just descibed my life.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.